CSA Reports

Just from a quick look at the financials...

The Good:

Sponsorship up 22% year over year

National team gate receipts up 53% year over year

National team spending up 32% year over year

The Bad:

Merchandising down 40% year over year

The Ugly:

Human resources up 38% year over year

Given the size of the financials, absolute numbers are probably more helpful but I need to do some actual work. :)

^Those were actual numbers resulting from the WCQ matches. I'm not sure if the '07 figures included the U20s or not. If they did, then I'd say it's a small positive. Though I agree fully that more matches are necessary. Also, the absolute gate increase was about $600k, while the absolute increase on national team spending was well over $1m. Those figures need to start balancing.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Just from a quick look at the financials...

The Good:

Sponsorship up 22% year over year

The Bad:

Merchandising down 40% year over year

The Ugly:

Human resources up 38% year over year

Given the size of the financials, absolute numbers are probably more helpful but I need to do some actual work. :)

The demographic report clearly shows some of the provinces are not doing their jobs very well, you have to wonder if anyone as the CSA actually does any benchmarking and then talks to the provinces about how they are not going out to get all players registered to play.

Ontario should be screaming blue murder to slackers like Manitoba and others for not properly registering all players.

^Neither my indoor nor my outdoor league are registered with the MSA. I let my player card lapse last year because I didn't need it any more so why pay for it? Between those two leagues that's got to be close to 60 teams in all divisions. Say 500 names on the collective rosters. And that's just in the leagues I play in. There are lots of others scattered around Winnipeg. Now how many players would be on the rolls for both leagues I don't know, and how many others have an MSA player card anyway because they also play in a sanctioned league I also couldn't guess, but you're absolutely correct. Lots of adult players are getting missed by the MSA.

What you think you can do about it I have no idea. Until the MSA has something to offer to these private leagues to incorporate them into the fold you won't see that happening.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Well that is obviously because we had WCQ in 2008 whereas there were barely any matches played on home soil by the senior mens team in 2007.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

^Neither my indoor nor my outdoor league are registered with the MSA. I let my player card lapse last year because I didn't need it any more so why pay for it? Between those two leagues that's got to be close to 60 teams in all divisions. Say 500 names on the collective rosters. And that's just in the leagues I play in. There are lots of others scattered around Winnipeg. Now how many players would be on the rolls for both leagues I don't know, and how many others have an MSA player card anyway because they also play in a sanctioned league I also couldn't guess, but you're absolutely correct. Lots of adult players are getting missed by the MSA.

What you think you can do about it I have no idea. Until the MSA has something to offer to these private leagues to incorporate them into the fold you won't see that happening.

Where do the leagues get there referees from?

Do they wear a MSA badge ?

^No MSA badge but I know for a fact some of the refs do ref MMSL and (sanctioned) youth league soccer.

If your driving towards forcing the refs to honour a "non-compete" policy, don't. Won't ever</u> happen.

Not saying I would disagree with that policy in principle. And as harsh as it may sound on the face of it fair is fair. Who do you work for? The MSA and its affiliate or the competition, the "outlaw" leagues. But the reality on the ground is that the shortage of refs in Winnipeg has been critical now for a great many years. The MSA affiliates can't afford to lose even a few bodies by playing hard ball with the existing refs. Hell, for all I know that policy could already exist but goes unenforced for the odvious reasons.

No, the MSA needs to bring the carrot and not the stick to the table. Simply because they don't have anything to threaten with. There have no negative leverage.

• 11 years later...

image.png.46c485a6209ab638aa11535c3ffc2bbf.png

Government grants got increased due to the pandemic which subsidized the 14% loss of revenue due to people not being able to play in the places that have high player registrations (ON,BC, QC)

All in all, not much changed in the pandemic. We obviously don't know what the budget was to give a full comparison.

But like I said before, we have a massive problem if one of our main sources of funds is dependent on people playing recreational soccer.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

image.png.46c485a6209ab638aa11535c3ffc2bbf.png

Government grants got increased due to the pandemic which subsidized the 14% loss of revenue due to people not being able to play in the places that have high player registrations (ON,BC, QC)

All in all, not much changed in the pandemic. We obviously don't know what the budget was to give a full comparison.

But like I said before, we have a massive problem if one of our main sources of funds is dependent on people playing recreational soccer.

I find it really weird that an organization like CSA doesn’t include audited financial statements in its annual report.  It receives a lot of government support and gets a lot of its remaining funding from amateur soccer fees that feed into the machine.  Seems like the type of organization that would (or should) be obligated to provide basic financial information as part of its accountability and reporting measures.   

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I find it really weird that an organization like CSA doesn’t include audited financial statements in its annual report.  It receives a lot of government support and gets a lot of its remaining funding from amateur soccer fees that feed into the machine.  Seems like the type of organization that would (or should) be obligated to provide basic financial information as part of its accountability and reporting measures.   

We've discussed this on this very board for as long as I remember, been going on for decades. I don't imagine the provincial associations are much better, although things may have improved.

This just confirms everything everyone (or at least most) assume is going on.  The little funds they do get are funneled elsewhere under very sketchy circumstances.

I can confirm this is a yearly occurrence at the provincial level in Quebec.  Reports of stolen and missing envelopes with "cash" happen all the time.  Its a pathetic joke at this day and age.  People are profiting and robbing everyone. 

Not sure I even blame the government for limiting the funds they give to the CSA when they know this is what happens to the money they do get. 

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree. Without it, there isn’t any real transparency.

This just looks like they moved percentages around. Nobody lost their job, and I believe pay reductions didn’t happened. (It was mentioned somewhere in an article, but I could be quoting things wrong).

Also I might add, the formula is completely utterly wrong. We rely on registration fees, but then also want to charge high prices for soccer programs which ultimately prices some lower income possible talent out of the sport. 

The prices for OPDL for instance is crazy. I get the fact that coaches are required to a higher standard, which requires them to be paid - but my God. Prices were close to 5 grand for programs that don’t keep score/award winners.

Three female Independent Directors, Brittany Timko Baxter, Charisse Bacchus, and Stephanie Geosits were ratified by the Membership to bring the total to five sitting female Directors.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-holds-virtual-2021-annual-meeting-of-the-members/

A former Women’s National Team standout and member of the Canada Soccer Hall of Fame, Brittany Timko Baxter was a member of the Bronze medal-winning 2012 Olympic squad and amassed 132 career appearance for Canada appearing in three FIFA Women’s World Cups and two Olympic Games. She is the first former Women’s National Team to be appointed to the Canada Soccer Board.

Charisse Bacchus is a former standout track & field athlete at the University of Kanas who served as a member of Trinidad & Tobago’s track team in international competition. She is a MSc. Law graduate of the CIES/FIFA International Centre for Sport Studies in the Management of Humanities of Sport.

Stephanie Geosits is an experienced sports executive that has worked in a variety of Canadian soccer roles including most-recently as Executive Director of Burlington Youth Soccer. She is a former Director, Marketing & Communications at Ontario Soccer. Geosits graduated from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government with a Masters in Public Policy in 1998.

• 5 months later...

I don't have the link handy but JH said in his recent podcast appearance that a WC appearance in 2022 would mean an influx of about $15M. I wonder if that is just from FIFA or is that a collated number of associated revenue? $15M represents about 125% of the CSA's total annual operating budget.

Also, we had a thread on the CSA financial statements but I can't find it. If anyone does link it here and I'll merge these two threads.

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't have the link handy but JH said in his recent podcast appearance that a WC appearance in 2022 would mean an influx of about $15M. I wonder if that is just from FIFA or is that a collated number of associated revenue? $15M represents about 125% of the CSA's total annual operating budget.

Also, we had a thread on the CSA financial statements but I can't find it. If anyone does link it here and I'll merge these two threads.

From FIFA alone, it will be at minimum close to C$14 million. But about $3-5 million will be spent by the end of World Cup.

They will get $US2 million to prep for 2022. In 2018, group stage teams got US$8 million - haven't seen a number yet for 2022. There is also insurance fees for the players - likely around 200k per team. And about 100k per team as compensation to their respective clubs.

Edited by red card