EVERTON VS RIVER PLATE in Edmonton, AB

TheEdmontonCup

Did anyone else hear? There is a great opportunity to see an English Premier league team and one of the best teams from South America play in Western Canada this summer!!

Everton of the English Premier league will be playing South American giant River Plate in Edmonton on July 25th at Commonwealth Stadium.

Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster.ca

More information will be available on the Edmonton cup website

www.theedmontoncup.com

• 5 weeks later...

It was broadcast live here, it looked like a tomb. The camera work was terrible too, far too far away from the field and poorly following the action (reminded me of when the NHL games were broadcast from from the US expansion cities in the 60's).

Poor selection of teams and promotion sunk this one from the beginning. Sorry, but these teams are invisible to most of the the average soccer fans in Edmonton. I myself love the game, but had no interest in watching these teams. Toronto FC or Montreal Impact as one of the teams would have drawn even better, IMO. Promotion was next to nil and tickets were pricy. Only a 10% discount was being applied if buying though youth soccer.

15,800? No chance...lucky if there was 10,000.

Perhaps if tickets weren't more expensive than a match at Old Trafford a larger crowd would have come. The organizers were not, umm, well organized.

I could drone on about ideas on how to better market a match of this nature, but suffice it to say I don't think I would have stooped to sell it as England vs. Argentina, which they most certainly tried to do. Sad.

"In the 27th minute, there was Ariel Ortega, the 35-year-old Argentine striker, navigating between a pair of Everton defenders and chipping a right-footed lob over goalkeeper Carlo Nash. 1-0 River Plate--which turned out to be the final score. It was brilliant, as the English would say, a big-time soccer goal."

quoted from http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Right+game+time+things+were+sync/1830393/story.html

What a horrible weekend to try to pull this off. Unfortunately due to stadium availability (Eskimos home schedule) it probably had to be this weekend.

Edmonton Indy all weekend, the Capital Ex (K-Days) and a Taste of Edmonton downtown. Those are 3 pretty big/popular annual events that sucked up all the press and most of the money in Edmonton this weekend.

And to add insult to injury, the hot weather probably killed any walk up attendance. How often does that happen in Edmonton? It was too hot (IMO) to sit at Commonwealth. I've been in Commonwealth when it was too rainy, too cold and too snowy, but too hot? That doesn't happen very often.

I also think that prices were ridiculous. I understand that you have to make money in order to pay for these teams to come - but there's a fine line and quite frankly I think they went overboard which in turn priced out many fans. I briefly considered attending the game but a quick look at the prices and I didn't even have to think twice.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

What was the range of the ticket prices?

According to the website, range was CA $60.25 - CA $118.00 . Way too high. A match between clubs from Prtugal and Italy would have doubled attendance. Poor attendance probably due to poor promotion as well .

The match's promotion was poorly thought out to say the least. As mentioned by many at the game, it is cheaper to watch a regular season EPL match. The financial backers of this game took a bath, and once again soccer in Edmonton is left with a black eye.

Archived