Begovic to Bosnia?

nolando

^ Based on what well connected people who speak to Asmir regularly tell me, these fears of him jumping ship seem far too premature.

don't read too much into a single newspaper article printed in Bosnia.

If not for a) his opportunity to firmly establish himself at Pompey and B) the impending birth of his 1st child, I am willing to bet a decent sum that he would be in Oxnard, CA right now training with team Canada.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ Based on what well connected people who speak to Asmir regularly tell me, these fears of him jumping ship seem far too premature.

If not for a) his opportunity to firmly establish himself at Pompey and B) the impending birth of his 1st child, I am willing to bet a decent sum that he would be in Oxnard, CA right now training with team Canada.

I hope you are right. It is disturbing to see direct quotes of him saying otherwise but then again there are a lot of newspapers/tabloids in Canada, UK and Germany that I don't trust so it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Bosnia papers are making stuff up.

Nope, it's true. I'm friends with him on facebook and he said that Blazevic called him and that he would probably accept it. If the reasons are patriotic I don't know. But I know that many are sceptic to him representing Bosnia because he said "he would think about it". People want a straight yes like from Pjanic who refused France.

Would it be fair to say that he may be misleading people on this side of the border? Having said that - I certainly hope its not true.

G-damn Dale Mitchell and his lack of forsight. Should have played Begovic in Jamaica! This is incredibly frustrating.

I hope so. Asmir, if you're reading this - stick around! ;)

I hope you are right, I can't deal with all these defections anymore.

We can't get paralyzed over this kind of thing. Let people like Stephen Hart worry about this stuff. Let's focus on the players who are proudly wearing the shirt.

Plus, I'm not overly concerned about our Gk situation. if there is a position going forward where canada has good depth over the next 10 years and alot of competition for spots, its at GK.

While I'm not overly concerned about Asmir, I do agree it would have been smart to play Asmir in that meaningless game in Jamaica.

^ My sentiments exactly. Lars is more than good enough, and young enough, to transition us to the likes of Street, Stillo & JLL. Longer shots at this time, but there is also Gracey, Debellis, Santiago, Cyprus, and Causton. I have always likes Monsalve as well.

i hope Hart, Mastraecci and co. are doing everything in their power to prevent this from happening. They should be in contact with the kid and assure him that he is the No. 1 for Canada for years to come; that we are rebuilding; and that with players like him we should have a very good chance of qualifying in the WC's to come. They should also use players in the national team to reach out to him especially if guys like Edgar, Peters, Johnson are friends to encourage him to play for Canada and to point out that Bosnia (no disrespect intended) is not a world power. They have a shot at qualifying for the WC this time around but considering how tough Europe qualifying is, long term, they are probably worse a choice than Canada for appearing at WCs. They should also appeal to his patriotism for Canada.

Sadly, I don't believe this will be the case. It angers me that a Bosnian coach that confesses to not even have seen the kid play will call him to encourage him to play for Bosnia and this gets reported in the media, whereas our CSA mgmt seem to have their heads so far up their asses they cannot even bother to reach out to players like Begovic, Holliet (who I believe said CSA was not in contact with him), etc. When you are a soccer minnow like Canada, you need to do everything in your power on your limited budget to cajol and influence these players to play for you. Small countries like Bosnia seem to understand this. We seem not to.

Also, if the CSA is doing this kinda work behind the scenes, then they need a communication strategy to make sure their supporters are aware that its going on. Speak to the media and use their contacts to get across that they want the kid to play for us and they are doing everything possible to make that happen. In the current world game, the competition starts here. Off the field. In building your team and competing for players that have options. If you lose this part of the game, you are already starting behind. It seems, as always. We are losing before the opening whistle has even sounded. Its pathetic that we can lose players to Bosnia or possibly Jamaica in Holliet's case. Its one thing to lose players to Holland, England and Portugal. Its another to lose players to sides whose opportunities to qualify for WCs are as limited as yours (if not more so).

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

i hope Hart, Mastraecci and co. are doing everything in their power to prevent this from happening. They should be in contact with the kid and assure him that he is the No. 1 for Canada for years to come; that we are rebuilding; and that with players like him we should have a very good chance of qualifying in the WC's to come. They should also use players in the national team to reach out to him especially if guys like Edgar, Peters, Johnson are friends to encourage him to play for Canada and to point out that Bosnia (no disrespect intended) is not a world power. They have a shot at qualifying for the WC this time around but considering how tough Europe qualifying is, long term, they are probably worse a choice than Canada for appearing at WCs. They should also appeal to his patriotism for Canada.

Sadly, I don't believe this will be the case. It angers me that a Bosnian coach that confesses to not even have seen the kid play will call him to encourage him to play for Bosnia and this gets reported in the media, whereas our CSA mgmt seem to have their heads so far up their asses they cannot even bother to reach out to players like Begovic, Holliet (who I believe said CSA was not in contact with him), etc. When you are a soccer minnow like Canada, you need to do everything in your power on your limited budget to cajol and influence these players to play for you. Small countries like Bosnia seem to understand this. We seem not to.

Also, if the CSA is doing this kinda work behind the scenes, then they need a communication strategy to make sure their supporters are aware that its going on. Speak to the media and use their contacts to get across that they want the kid to play for us and they are doing everything possible to make that happen. In the current world game, the competition starts here. Off the field. In building your team and competing for players that have options. If you lose this part of the game, you are already starting behind. It seems, as always. We are losing before the opening whistle has even sounded. Its pathetic that we can lose players to Bosnia or possibly Jamaica in Holliet's case. Its one thing to lose players to Holland, England and Portugal. Its another to lose players to sides whose opportunities to qualify for WCs are as limited as yours (if not more so).

First, I'm not sure how you can promise Asmir that he will Canada number one for years to come. On what basis are we going to make that claim? Pompey are looking at buying Yohann Pele from the French league and Asmir could find himself back at the number 3 spot and a loan move might be in the work for him. What if Lars is playing in B1 next year while Asmir is playing in League One? You have to tell the players that he is important for us but I'm not sure you should go that far because players talk and know each others and that's not an habit I would like to see our coaches starting.

BTW, Bosnia is currently second in their WCQ group and have a very good chance at a playoff spot if they can at least 7 points in their last 4 games. I think they are in a lot better position than Canada to qualify for a WC. The Euro is always possible for Bosnia.

Guys....everyone needs to calm down. Again, this is just 1 single newspaper article making this claim. When it is reported by a news source that we all deem to be reputable, with a direct quote from Asmir, then I would worry about it. Until then, let's relax.

An Observer, I can assure you that the CSA types have been in contact with Asmir. I know for a fact that they wanted him to come to GC. The reasons he was not added to the roster have been well discussed already and they are valid. If I were in the same boat, i would have taken a pass as well.

I have no doubt that the cSA will do what they need to do to try to keep Begovic in the Canadian fold. As I've mentioned before, I've been led to believe that the CSA doesn't share the same level of pessimism that many on this forum are feeling. However, when, as a nation, we haven't had any international success to boast about (save for an unexpected GC win MANY MANY years ago), players with the opportunity to play for a nation other than Canada are going to look around and weigh their options and there is little that can be done to stop it now that FIFA has opened the floodgates. Playing international soccer on a big stage is great for a player's career progression so the more cynical players will shop themselves around. If you think we have it bad, Brazil, Argentina, etc... will have it even worse. Of course they can absorb the losses better than we can but that just reinforces why elite player development needs a total rethink in this country.

As I've mentioned before, I've been led to believe that the CSA doesn't share the same level of pessimism that many on this forum are feeling.

Is this because they see opportunity to poach players?

Right now, the only candidate I can see is O'Brian White. But on the horizon, guys the Gambians, Ibrahim, Orgill, or even older players like Jay Nolly, Justin Moose, Matt Jordan, Di Lorenzo or Pesoli might be options. Modern day Carl Valentines if you will. Nobody on this list would make me feel okay about losing Asmir or any of the other guys, but maybe more domestic depth will be more helpful in qualifying than top Euro players.

Speaking of White, is he fully on the record as committed to Jamaica? Jahman? Anyone?

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Remember, guys, the only thing we know for sure about Begovic is that Bosnia wants him. Well, of course they do. They wanted him as a U-20 too and we all know how that worked out.

Still not time to panic. Close. But not yet.

I agree. The source is a B&H Internet sports portal, and there is a long history of even "reputable" sports magazines in that part of the world making crap up. I read the article (I can read Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian) and the quotes attributed to Begovic are unequivocal. According to him, there is "no dilemma" from his perspective, it's just a matter of the B&H football association resolving "minor details" with FIFA, and his "father has always wanted me to play" for B&H.

I'm not so certain that the quotes are his as I'd first like to know how well he speaks the language. I realize that he came to Canada at the age of six, but that's not necessarily dispositive. Anyway, I'd like to hear/see an interview with him.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Is this because they see opportunity to poach players?

I think they (the CSA) believe that he's more committed to Canada than the picture that is being painted based on reading the comments attributed to Asmir in that article.

BTW, I passed on a link of that article to members of the MNT technical staff for their review. They're clearly busy with other issues right now (GC prep) but I have no doubt that they'll be putting a call into Asmir at some point to figure out what's what.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Cassano10

Nope, it's true. I'm friends with him on facebook and he said that Blazevic called him and that he would probably accept it. If the reasons are patriotic I don't know. But I know that many are sceptic to him representing Bosnia because he said "he would think about it". People want a straight yes like from Pjanic who refused France.

He's told me the same.

Looks like the CSA have some work to do.

ASMIR BEGOVIC FOR CANADA - The Facebook Group

Join and let him know that he has supporters and fans from coast to coast that have been following his career for years. Show him we care.

Those of you who have him on your facebook, send him the link to the group (once people have joined, of course.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93800842511

(it's not much, but it's all i got)

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

ASMIR BEGOVIC FOR CANADA - The Facebook Group

Join and let him know that he has supporters and fans from coast to coast that have been following his career for years. Show him we care.

Those of you who have him on your facebook, send him the link to the group (once people have joined, of course.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93800842511

(it's not much, but it's all i got)

We need to invite Asmir to the group to get his attention. I know he has a Facebook account and posts on some mutual friends who have played with him here in Edmonton. I believe I read in this thread that someone posted that he is friends with him.

quote:Originally posted by soka

^^ true, here's the link again

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sports/BegovicdebutsPremierLeague/1649793/story.html

and an excerpt:

With just a six-week off-season in front of him and the arrival of Begovic and his girlfriend's first child at the end of this summer, he said it was unlikely he'd play for Canada in this summer's Gold Cup tournament. The Gold Cup is a component of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup.

Makes you wonder if the media even knows how to use Wikipedia. Or pays any attention to Canadian soccer, since we've been eliminated from the WC for a while now. I hope someone gave this gentleman a friendly heads up that he is wrong. (I couldn't find a link to email the reporter, and the article is a bit old now).

I hope Asmir plays for Canada for many years to come. I would take a pass on the Gold Cup under an interim head coach if my gf was pregnant and I might have just gotten a promotion at work.

Let's put this into perspective. Even if he gets a call, what's the chance he is going to start in a WCQ? If you coached Bosnia would you remove your number one keeper for the sake of starting Begovic at such an important time for Bosnian football? After all Turkey is only four points back and Belgium only five and you can't expect those two to struggle for much longer. It would be a different story if Begovic was the number one at Portsmouth all season but where talking about a guy who concievably could be loaned to league one or championship for next season!

That being said the two Bosnain keepers right now play at Istanbul BB(Turkey) and Anorthosis(Cyprus) which is not all that impressive, so who knows? Also the Bosnian's are playing Armenia on Augest 5th! Armenia sit at the bottom of the group with one point and thus are not a threat, so if the coach wanted to have a look now would be the time wouldn't it?

I would say the coach plans on calling him in at least to have a look and see how he is in training and if he likes what he see's he will start him. But the coach should be careful because if Bosnia fail to take maximum points from Armenia on the road it could hurt their confidence when they play third place Turkey four days later! It would certainly be a gamble in my mind anyways..