Begovic to Bosnia?

nolando

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Can somebody please tell me why Asmir was not called for Gold Cup action? He's just played in the Premiership!! Is there a good reason for no Gold Cup call??

He said that he wants to concentrate on the Portsmouth preseason.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Can somebody please tell me why Asmir was not called for Gold Cup action? He's just played in the Premiership!! Is there a good reason for no Gold Cup call??

There was an interview conducted by some Edmonton newspaper where Asmir said he was unlikely going to attend the GC because he had an important preseason with Pompey (David James is coming back from an injury) and his girlfriend is pregnant.

^^ true, here's the link again

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sports/BegovicdebutsPremierLeague/1649793/story.html

and an excerpt:

"...I hope it'll make more youngsters start and stick with the game. It takes a lot of sacrifices to get to the highest level, definitely. It takes a lot of teaching and good coaches. (You should) enjoy every minute of it. You have to learn a lot, and the main thing is, hopefully, it gives people hope and shows that there is a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel." With just a six-week off-season in front of him and the arrival of Begovic and his girlfriend's first child at the end of this summer, he said it was unlikely he'd play for Canada in this summer's Gold Cup tournament. The Gold Cup is a component of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup.

"For me, the next thing is to get ready for next season (with Portsmouth)," he said. "Keep working hard and keep pushing on."

quote:Originally posted by loyola

YNWA, I don't think it's a fair assessment if you look at the last group of youngsters. In the Mitchell/Hart time, guys like Issey NF, André Hainault, De Jong, Nik L., Wagenaar, Johnson, Jackson, Peters, Ornoch ahve been given their first caps.

The 3 names you give to prove your point aren't really helping you. First, we know Hoillett isn't decided on his future and reports are suggesting he might be looking to play for Jamaica...Second, Begovic is a keeper and never had much League experience (except for 2 loan deals in L1 and L2) and it was tough to call him over Sutton, Lars or Onstad for the WCQ. The only one that could help your point is the enigmatic Edgar but he was called in 2007 for a camp in Iceland but wasn't able to convince the coaching staff to start him over Hastings or Imhoff. I think his situation at Newcastle didn't help him because he was never sent on loan, which could've help Mitchell or Hart in their evaluation of David.

I think we have done a good job at giving caps to young players who were doing well with their clubs at certain time (when we aren't in the middle of WCQ). We also have to remember that we don't have a ton of talent coming from our youth, so sometimes we have to keep playing older guys at some position.

Ok, but these three names are just the first that come to mind. Brandon Bonifacio, Paris Nakajima-Farran, Shaun Saiko, David Monsalve, Isidro Sanchez, and Carlos Rivas have all done enough in their pro careers to get a look. There are also several under-capped players: Ornoch, De Jong, Jackson, Ledgerwood, Johnson and Jakovic jump to mind. Obviously most of the latter will be represented at Gold Cup. My point is that a couple of fringe players such as Gbeke, could be dropped in favour of one of the uncapped players in this tourney. I still feel we are veteran heavy compared to many other nations.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

YNWA, I don't think it's a fair assessment if you look at the last group of youngsters. In the Mitchell/Hart time, guys like Issey NF, André Hainault, De Jong, Nik L., Wagenaar, Johnson, Jackson, Peters, Ornoch ahve been given their first caps.

The 3 names you give to prove your point aren't really helping you. First, we know Hoillett isn't decided on his future and reports are suggesting he might be looking to play for Jamaica...Second, Begovic is a keeper and never had much League experience (except for 2 loan deals in L1 and L2) and it was tough to call him over Sutton, Lars or Onstad for the WCQ. The only one that could help your point is the enigmatic Edgar but he was called in 2007 for a camp in Iceland but wasn't able to convince the coaching staff to start him over Hastings or Imhoff. I think his situation at Newcastle didn't help him because he was never sent on loan, which could've help Mitchell or Hart in their evaluation of David.

I think we have done a good job at giving caps to young players who were doing well with their clubs at certain time (when we aren't in the middle of WCQ). We also have to remember that we don't have a ton of talent coming from our youth, so sometimes we have to keep playing older guys at some position.

Peters and Johnson were capped under Yallop

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Peters and Johnson were capped under Yallop

Thanks for the correction.

My point still stands that we used those guys under Hart and Mitchell.

Regarding YNWA last post, I would argue that you could make a case for the youngers guys you've named to receive a call sooner or later but in term of their club career I would ask for a little bit more consistency (PNF and Bonifacio haven't been playing club football for a year or maybe they did in 1 or 2 games) before they are getting the call. You also have to look at who's in front of them in the depth chart (Monsalve for example).

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Remember he was the main Canadian player that was used in that TV ad campaign during U20's (Adidas?) - where he talked about loving Canada after leaving Bosnia? It takes on a whole new tone now.

The Bosnia fans seem more than pleased.

Looks like he's defineatly going to play for Bosnia. Some comments he made in Bosnian media:

about his conversation with the national team coach: It was a short, but good conversation. I'm glad he called me. He said that he would call me up for the game in August. We just have to sort out some techical issues. There is no dillema on my behalf, but Bosnian Football Federation have to contact FIFA, because I am still listed as a Canadian-player.

He also said that he looked forward to hopefully playing at the World Cup with players like Dzeko, Ibisevic, Misimovic, Spahic etc. for the country he was born in.

Just for ditching us I predict that Bosnia doesn't go through and thus he will never play in a world cup. Seriously though I can't help but think he is accepting the call only because Bosnia are doing well this WCQ cycle. I haven't been following Euro Qualifiers that much but I assume this is uncharacteristic of Bosnia to be doing this well.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Marc

If this is true, that's total crap. WTF is the point of international soccer if this happens time and time again. This one would be worse than Hargreaves, at least he never played for us.

I don't think so.

Hargreaves was not forced out of his country by war as a kid.

No comparison.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I don't think so.

Hargreaves was not forced out of his country by war as a kid.

No comparison.

I agree with Marc that this would be worse than Hargreaves. If you come to a country as a refugee then you definitely owe that country something.

Plus with Hargreaves at least it made sense in that he was going to a team that was clearly better than Canada. Bosnia has had a good run but I will be surprised if they stay in 2nd place in their group at the end and if they do they will most likely get beaten by another 2nd place team. Canada is out of the WC but Bosnia is still a longshot in my opinion.

The one factor that I would consider that would make a potential Begovic ship-jump less egregious than Hargreaves is that he was actually born and lived in the country. That certainly beats out the trumped up ethnic bullcrap whereby Owen decided he could have some claim to 'feeling English' while growing up in cowboy town, and honing his craft as a pro in Germany.

Grizzly's point about leaving as a refugee, however, is a good one. Begovic and his family have benefited in a big way from their move to Canada, I'd imagine, and I'd like to think most athletes would return the favour with at least some semblance of loyalty.

I find such things disgusting. About 6 years ago when I was living in Germany I had some acquaintances who were being sent back to Bosnia because Germany decided they were no longer refugees. One was a guy in his early 20s who married a German woman about 20 years older and 200 pounds heavier than him to avoid getting sent back. His sister would have married me or any of my friends on the spot if we wanted to. And this was after the war. If he is going to play for another country, then we definitely accepted the wrong family as refugees.