Begovic to Bosnia?

nolando

Read this thread:

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137941&page=307

"He just replied to me. He says he talked with Ciro, an they will meet in August to clear everything up!"

Anybody read Bosnian?? This is from this morning:

http://www.bihvijesti.net/izvor102352_Ciro-brzo-reagovao-Golman-Portsmoutha-Asmir-Begovic-dobio-poziv-u-reprezentaciju-BiH.html

I think we just lost another one, lads.

Here's what comes up using the Croatian to English option on Google translate:-

Ciro quickly reacted: Golman Portsmouth Asmir Begovic received a call in the team of Bosnia and Herzegovina

22.06.2009u 12:32 pm

Miroslav Ciro Blazevic, selector A football team of Bosnia and Herzegovina has announced that for the next gathering npozvati and Asmir Begovic, golmana Portsmouth, which is under the new rule, FIFA received a permit for the dresu BiH.

Selector Blazevic has contacted the players, and the guardian of a network of English premierliga#353;a who received the call and Canada will have the opportunity to debituje for BiH for 12th August when the next scheduled friendly match of our national team.

"About Begovi#263; know everything and eagerly look ga. He was enthusiastic and said that the thought," said Blazevic for "liberation."

Begovic will not answer the call from team Canada because of Club obligations, and that you will come to the gathering of our team will find out soon.

and using the Serbian to English option:-

Ciro quickly responded: Portsmouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic received a call in the national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina

22.06.2009u 12:32 h

Miroslav Ciro Blazevic, selector A football team of Bosnia and Herzegovina announced that for the next meeting npozvati and Asmir Begovic, Portsmouth goalkeeper who, according to a new FIFA rule is given permission to performance in the jersey of BiH.

Selector is Bla#382;evi#263; contacted the players and the keeper of a network of English premierliga#353;a who received the call and Canada will have the opportunity to debituje for BiH, but 12th August when the next scheduled friendly match of our national team.

About Begovi#263; know it all, and eagerly look. He was delighted and said that little to consider, "said Blazevic for" disengagement ".

Begovic will not answer the call from Team Canada because klupskih obligations, and that you will come to the gathering of our team will find out soon.

i would not be surprised if Begovic takes a wait and see attitude to Bosnia depending on how they do in World Cup qualifying. Right now they are second in their group and unlikley to catch Spain the group leaders. Turkey is behind them but has an easier schedule to finish including a match with Bosnia. So its possible they may be caught in the group for second; and even if they finish second they will need to play a home and away with other sides that finish second. As Begovic is missing the Gold Cup, the next time we can cap him is 2011 for the next Gold Cup. I would imagine he will wait until then or the next WC qualifying to commit either way.

I speak the language, here is a literal translation:

Selector Blazevic has contacted this player, a goalkeeper in the English Premier League who has been called for Canada and will have the opportunity to debut for Bosnia as soon as the 12th of August when the next friendly for our national team is scheduled.

"About Begovic, I know everything and I am eagerly awaiting him (his response?). He was thrilled and said that he will give it some thought," said Blazevic for the paper (Oslobodenje).

Begovic will not answer the call for Canada because of club commitments but whether he will come to the camp of our national team, we will find out soon.

I guess we'll have to wait for his decision. It's very frustrating if he choose Bosnia because Asmir has been in our youth program since he's 15-16. If he decides to play for another country it will result in a loss investment because everytime he participated in some youth national team activity he was taking the spot of another kid who could've got the exposure and experience....

Can we really blame the our coaching staff for not capping him? we had only one chance and it was in November against jamaica. Also, let's remember that at that time he was still cap-tied to Canada....that was before the rule changed.

The Bosnian FA is as hated as the CSA and I believe they are also charged with corruption among other things. Nonetheless, ethnic Bosnians have quite a strong feeling for where they are from. Pjanic the young midfielder for Olympique Lyonnais who spent most of his life in Luxembourg also chose in the end to play for Bosnia. I wouldn't be surprised if Begovic is a lost cause.

Just the Bosnians out poaching. Doesn't mean they'll bag anything.

Does imply that Asmir got a call from Hart for the Gold Cup there doesn't it? He's flattered for the Bosnia offer and giving it a think. Bit discouraging he didn't flat out refuse the offer but I'm hopeful he'll come to the right decision fairly quickly, if he hasn't already.

Boy, you get the feeling there is going to be a mad scramble to cap-tie every player who's ever shown a minutes worth of promise.

This is very much an article written from the Bosnian perspective. Lots of stuff from the Bosnian FA on how they want Begovic, no indication that Begovic is actually seriously planning to accept the call.

Asmir has a good track record of taking Canada's calls. Even the article admits that his club opportunity is the reason he's not at the Gold Cup. It's not time to panic yet. Soon, but not yet.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

This is very much an article written from the Bosnian perspective. Lots of stuff from the Bosnian FA on how they want Begovic, no indication that Begovic is actually seriously planning to accept the call.

Asmir has a good track record of taking Canada's calls. Even the article admits that his club opportunity is the reason he's not at the Gold Cup. It's not time to panic yet. Soon, but not yet.

Sorry but I'm worried. Let's remember the strange comments made by Begovic about the NT last October:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/sport/Amir-Begovic-enjoying-time-Yeovil/article-406758-detail/article.html

Ironically he was called one month later for the Jamaica game.

When we were eliminated for WCQ we called a squad that could cap tie a lot of young promising players. Edgar, Begovic, Johnson and Jackson. I think Johnson was cap-tied.

BUT we did manage to cap tie Gbeke too! Take that Ivory Coast, have fun with Drogba up front losers! [:o)]

Because Begovic was our goalkeeper of the future, we were obviously eliminated from World Cup qualifying, so let's give the kid a shot rather than Mitchell coaching to look good in his next job and throwing out every veteran who didn't refuse to come.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Sorry but I'm worried. Let's remember the strange comments made by Begovic about the NT last October:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/sport/Amir-Begovic-enjoying-time-Yeovil/article-406758-detail/article.html

Ironically he was called one month later for the Jamaica game.

Sounds like he had a beef with Mitchell;

"Begovic has 11 Under-20 caps but is yet to play for his country's senior team.

"I have my issues with Canada that are personal and that is another thing," he said.

"For me to play well with my club has nothing to do with the national team.

"I would like to play for Canada but it has never been down to me.

"It is down to the people running the team.

"I don't want to say too much about it but I would like to play for Canada.""

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Because Begovic was our goalkeeper of the future, we were obviously eliminated from World Cup qualifying, so let's give the kid a shot rather than Mitchell coaching to look good in his next job and throwing out every veteran who didn't refuse to come.

And if Jamaica had scored more goal because Asmir is his first international cap would've pulled a "Srdjan" would the Voyageurs had criticized Mitchell for throwing the game à la Dos Santos??? :D

I think it's fair to question Mitchell not playing more of the youngsters against Jamaica. I was certainly expecting to see Begovic being given at least a half.But my point is that Mitchell had no way of knowing that FIFA would change it's rule for eligibility...so tough to blame his decision in that regard.

You could even argue that under former FIFA rules, Begovic was cap-tied to Canada because Mitchell played him in a meaningless game in the 2005 U-20 WCQ in Honduras...

^I do think that, in general, we can say Canada has done a poor job of integrating the younger players in the full national team. The only manager we've had with pedigree in Holger, also seemed to be the only one who stressed the importance of bringing the young players through. It's ridiculous that Yallop brings through Peters with no club first team experience and then Mitchell (maybe in a knee jerk reaction to the Peters criticism?) wouldn't bring Edgar, Begovic, Hoilett, etc into the team when they are playing at a high level (though Begovic didn't have EPL experience at the time). Every other nation seems to be able to bring the elite young players through, why can't we?

YNWA, I don't think it's a fair assessment if you look at the last group of youngsters. In the Mitchell/Hart time, guys like Issey NF, André Hainault, De Jong, Nik L., Wagenaar, Johnson, Jackson, Peters, Ornoch ahve been given their first caps.

The 3 names you give to prove your point aren't really helping you. First, we know Hoillett isn't decided on his future and reports are suggesting he might be looking to play for Jamaica...Second, Begovic is a keeper and never had much League experience (except for 2 loan deals in L1 and L2) and it was tough to call him over Sutton, Lars or Onstad for the WCQ. The only one that could help your point is the enigmatic Edgar but he was called in 2007 for a camp in Iceland but wasn't able to convince the coaching staff to start him over Hastings or Imhoff. I think his situation at Newcastle didn't help him because he was never sent on loan, which could've help Mitchell or Hart in their evaluation of David.

I think we have done a good job at giving caps to young players who were doing well with their clubs at certain time (when we aren't in the middle of WCQ). We also have to remember that we don't have a ton of talent coming from our youth, so sometimes we have to keep playing older guys at some position.