What we learned tonight

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Yes and no. There were some Attak De Trois Rivières players who featured, no?

All players used were in the 2009 roster (26 players).

http://www.montrealimpact.com/Team/Roster.aspx?language=EN

Saying some played for the Attak is true but it's like saying an EPL team used reserves players for a game. It's normal and it happens all the time in club football.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

All players used were in the 2009 roster (26 players).

http://www.montrealimpact.com/Team/Roster.aspx?language=EN

Saying some played for the Attak is true but it's like saying an EPL team used reserves players for a game. It's normal and it happens all the time in club football.

One of Mayard brothers, I believe it was no. 13, didn't even have his name on his Jersey.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

One of Mayard brothers, I believe it was no. 13, didn't even have his name on his Jersey.

He is on MTL roster, so what's the problem? The Impact was supposed to have excellent depth, you even started a thread about this.

MTL had 20-21 players available from their roster for yesterday game and they pick their starting 11 from that roster. I don't see a problem with this.

If Dos Santos had decided to go with some U-18 players from the youth academy (which doesn't exist) I think fans could complain about that poor choice but he decided to play guys who are in his pool of players which was supposed to be balance and pretty good for a USL side....

Trident, those players were supposed to be good enough to help MTL rest players in case of another long and exhausting CCL and USL playoffs run.

Well, that's what I heard here.

Thank-you. Resting players shouldn't have been a problem for Montreal because "the USL has better depth than MLS" right? Can we officially put that meme to bed yet?

quote:Originally posted by Vic

OK enough. It's one thing to be pissed off with the owner and execs who crafted the lineup, but inciting violence on their players who are pawns in the whole thing is a pretty miserable way to convey it.

Man, you are one stupid person. In what way did that post incite violence? All the man said was he can feel that some of the players might take out their anger on the pitch. There is not one thing inciting violence in his post.

He is on MTL roster, so what's the problem? The Impact was supposed to have excellent depth, you even started a thread about this.

MTL had 20-21 players available from their roster for yesterday game and they pick their starting 11 from that roster. I don't see a problem with this.

If Dos Santos had decided to go with some U-18 players from the youth academy (which doesn't exist) I think fans could complain about that poor choice but he decided to play guys who are in his pool of players which was supposed to be balance and pretty good for a USL side....

The Impact have enough depth to field 2 competitive teams not three.

<center>1A</u></center>

<center>------------------------------Jordan---------------------------------

Joqueviel----------Pesoli---Pizzolitto-----------Zan Zan-------------

Gjertsen----------Testo-------Grande--------------DiLorenzo----------

------------------------Sebrango-----Roberto Brown-------------------</center>

<center>1B</u></center>

<center>--------------------------Djekanovic-----------------------------

Gatti---------Sakuda-----------Braz---------------------DeRoux-------

Brillant------Donatelli--------Leduc-------------------Placentino----

-------------------AmadouGai------Byers---------------------------</center>

Last nights line up looked more like 1B then 1A

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Two years in a row the tournament comes down to the final game with the result still in question and the possibility of the destination of the Cup still able to be swung as that game enters injury time - POSSIBLEY THE MOST EXCITING OUTCOME IMAGINABLE! - and the tournament format should be changed?????

Maybe it should be changed because Montreal had no inspiration, so vancouver was robbed?

I mean, we might have well just not fielded a team at all, for a 1-6 result.

We wouldnt have cared if you arrogant assholes won, if you faced competition in EVERY GAME.

But to say there's nothing wrong with the setup, is just pure homerism. Of course you don't care you won because you faced a reserve reserve team, because you won.

There's something obviously wrong with this setup.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

THIS is the type of comment that makes people not want to participate on this Board. Kammerhead, couldn't you have made your point without a gratuitous insult? Would you have had the balls to say that face to face and risk a smack in the mouth?

Not to mention the fact that Vic's comment was perfectly fair. The line he quoted might as well have said "get out there and exact some revenge, boys".

I don't think you know Krammerhead very well. I know for sure, that IRL, he would tell you as it is face to face. The man doesn't pull any punches and says whatever's on his mind w/out warning. I suggest you grow a thick skin, as even in the Southsider Forum, K-man would criticize the Whitecaps for there ****e display or the Southsiders even, if something is amiss. I enjoy K-man's posts, cuz he doesn't sugar a post or try to play "nice"[8D]

The Impact have enough depth to field 2 competitive teams not three.

<center>1A</u></center>

<center>------------------------------Jordan---------------------------------

Joqueviel----------Pesoli---Pizzolitto-----------Zan Zan-------------

Gjertsen----------Testo-------Grande--------------DiLorenzo----------

------------------------Sebrango-----Roberto Brown-------------------</center>

<center>1B</u></center>

<center>--------------------------Djekanovic-----------------------------

Gatti---------Sakuda-----------Braz---------------------DeRoux-------

Brillant------Donatelli--------Leduc-------------------Placentino----

-------------------AmadouGai------Byers---------------------------</center>

Last nights line up looked more like 1B then 1A

Based on this logic... TFC played a competitive (1B) team with players fighting for their positions... yet TFC still destroyed them.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Maybe it should be changed because Montreal had no inspiration, so vancouver was robbed?

I mean, we might have well just not fielded a team at all, for a 1-6 result.

We wouldnt have cared if you arrogant assholes won, if you faced competition in EVERY GAME.

But to say there's nothing wrong with the setup, is just pure homerism. Of course you don't care you won because you faced a reserve reserve team, because you won.

There's something obviously wrong with this setup.

Who cares... TFC Fielded their Reserve squad for last years NCC...and you USL fans were all over TFC for failing. Even tho the inaugural torny was practically a buncha Friendlies in the eyes of TFC Management.

Make no mistake, it wouldn't have mattered even if the Impact fielded their 1st team. De-Ro was on last night. As a Voyageur, you know De-Ro has that ability even at the International level to score clutch goals.

I know Whitecaps fans are pissed....but stop with the Ifs... "If" the Impact played their 1st team... "if" the impact put in a greater effort... "if" the tie-breaker was different...

The fact is, TFC scored 6 goals... Impact failed miserbly, but its not the first time they did so this season... so why the surprise?

quote:Originally posted by Johnnyranger

TFC have played the Caps 4 times, the Caps have won twice, drawn once, lost once.

Montreal gifted this to you, you didn't win ****.

Enjoy your party. It must be very rewarding.

It was.

I got drunk. Very drunk.

It doesn't matter if they are on some expanded 26 man roster list on the club's website. The fact is that the Mayard brothers play for the Attak not the Impact. One of them was playing his first game ever for the Impact while the other had played a couple of times due to the number of injuries we have. It would be fine to play players like this if we were forced to do so by injuries. It is a complete travesty to play them when we have much better players sitting on the bench. Our coach and management did not put out the best possible lineup in a game against our main rival in our own stadium. We got humiliated and tarnished the club's reputation as a result. I don't know if there is any legal basis for doing so but morally the CSA would be in their rights to fine the Impact for disrespecting the competition and the very cup we have owned for so long.

And the Impact does have good depth. We have so much depth that despite the large number of injuries and starters away for personal reasons or international callups that we were capable of still putting out a pretty good lineup on the field. The problem with our team last night was not a lack of depth but that the coach and management decided not to field the best players we had available.

We could have had a lineup like below and still had Donatelli and Brillant available as subs.

------------------------------Jordan---------------------------------

Gatti---------------Sakuda----------Pesoli-----------DeRoux----------

Gjertsen-------------Testo-------Grande--------------DiLorenzo-------

------------------------Brown-------Placentino-----------------------

quote:Originally posted by kyam

Based on this logic... TFC played a competitive (1B) team with players fighting for their positions... yet TFC still destroyed them.

Thats exactly right little boy. TFC destroyed the Impacts "C" team. What you should be asking, is what the result would have been, If The Impact started their;

Starting Goaltender

4 Regular Defenders

And

2 Best Strikers.

They might have lost the Game, but not by 5 goals.

Congratulations to TFC. They could easily have decided that 4 goals was too much and rested some of their players but did not. They popped in 6. I am going to dwell on the fact that they felt the game important and did what they had to do. It is a little sad that the 7 time defending champion went out as they did but at the end of the day, that is a risk of the format and indeed, virtually all Cup competitions, even the FA Cup, as prestigous as it gets, sees it occur.

I am a Whitecaps fan. I hope that TFC does well enough in the CCL, but, as with last year, will not be following it too closly.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Congratulations to TFC. They could easily have decided that 4 goals was too much and rested some of their players but did not. They popped in 6. I am going to dwell on the fact that they felt the game important and did what they had to do. It is a little sad that the 7 time defending champion went out as they did but at the end of the day, that is a risk of the format and indeed, virtually all Cup competitions, even the FA Cup, as prestigous as it gets, sees it occur.

Exactly,

It took balls on TFC's side (or should I say DD's, as he single handedly turned the game in the first half) not to fold, especially after conceding the opening goal.

Frankly it only would have taken one additional player on the field for Montreal to deny the "Miracle in Montreal" (or whatever the press is calling it), and that's Matt Jordan.

Obviously Montreal management thought they had enough quality on the field to deny TFC, and Montreal management choked miserably in this regard. Someone's head should roll in Montreal, and it doesn't matter if Montreal beats Vancouver by 10 today.

Vancouver has every reason to feel choked, but I think Montreal ultimately screwed themselves, more than Vancouver. Vancouver had an amazing tournament and the Vancouver Whitecaps have publicly taken the high road. Class act all the way by the Whitecaps, on and off the field. Montreal on the other hand are being met with contempt by their own supporters and soccer fans across Canada of every stripe.

Thats exactly right little boy. TFC destroyed the Impacts "C" team. What you should be asking, is what the result would have been, If The Impact started their;

Starting Goaltender

4 Regular Defenders

And

2 Best Strikers.

They might have lost the Game, but not by 5 goals.

Screw off, little boy.

The scoreline reads TFC 6-1 Impact. That's all that matters.

If TFC won 2-1 or something, I can see your argument, but the fact is, it was 6-1... Even 4th division teams in the UK wouldn't lose to Premiership team by that much.

You were doing alright until this line. If a 4th division team in the UK played a second string squad against a Premiership team's regular XI, they would most certainly lose by that many.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

You were doing alright until this line. If a 4th division team in the UK played a second string squad against a Premiership team's regular XI, they would most certainly lose by that many.

Ah, but I'm not saying 2nd string squad. I consider the gap between USL-1\MLS and the CSL to be more along the lines of a English 4th Division (A team) to a Premiership B team.

The Impact played at least 8 regulars: Pesoli, Gjertsen, Testo, DiLorenzo, DeRoux, Brillant, Donatelli and Placentino

Doesn't look like the B team to me. Yes they had some B team players, but this looks like a mix of the A & B team... certainly not enough of a excuse for a 6-1 scoreline.

You're kinda annoying. The three guys in bold were subbed sometime in the 2nd half.

The fact is, we only played 0.5/3 (Pesoli at the 55th minute or so) of our three best defenders, and also didn't play our best defensive midfielder, that's the important point. We literally gave up the central defense IMO.

I agree with you that it doesn't excuse a 6-1 scoreline. But even I, as a Montreal supporter, saw it coming with the lineup we had...

TFC all in on offense. Impact with the ****tiest defensive squad they could put....leads to..something like this.

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

You're kinda annoying. The three guys in bold were subbed sometime in the 2nd half.

The fact is, we only played 0.5/3 (Pesoli at the 55th minute or so) of our three best defenders, and also didn't play our best defensive midfielder, that's the important point. We literally gave up the central defense IMO.

I agree with you that it doesn't excuse a 6-1 scoreline. But even I, as a Montreal supporter, saw it coming with the lineup we had...

TFC all in on offense. Impact with the ****tiest defensive squad they could put....leads to..something like this.

Well, I don't blame the Impact for fielding a weaker team, they've already proven more than any other team in the Torny... and playing 2 games at full capacity in only 3 days is tough for any team in any league.

But I don't think they fell over as much as people are saying they did. TFC played a good game, they would have won by a large margin regardless (maybe not 6-1)

However, even Impact fans can recognize that TFC is a much stronger team than last year, and the Impact are having arguably the worst start in many years.

Keep in mind, TFC have been the most dominant team when it comes to offensive possessions and scoring opportunities. For me, the biggest difference is the finish, rather than having "more" scoring opportunities.

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

Well, I don't blame the Impact for fielding a weaker team, they've already proven more than any other team in the Torny... and playing 2 games at full capacity in only 3 days is tough for any team in any league.

But I don't think they fell over as much as people are saying they did. TFC played a good game, they would have won by a large margin regardless (maybe not 6-1)

However, even Impact fans can recognize that TFC is a much stronger team than last year, and the Impact are having arguably the worst start in many years.

Keep in mind, TFC have been the most dominant team when it comes to offensive possessions and scoring opportunities. For me, the biggest difference is the finish, rather than having "more" scoring opportunities.

You're mostly right, though I do blame the Impact for fielding a weakened squad. You need only look at the subs bench for today's match where you will find 7 of the starters from Thursday including players in the most important positions (keeper, central D, central mid, and forward).

The other thing that bothers me is when people talk about finishing as if it is a matter of luck that will all come out even in the end. It's not. It's a quality, much like possession or team cohesion. Right now, Thursday's match excepted, Toronto seems not to possess this quality. This doesn't make them unlucky, it just makes them worse than they might otherwise be.

You're mostly right, though I do blame the Impact for fielding a weakened squad. You need only look at the subs bench for today's match where you will find 7 of the starters from Thursday including players in the most important positions (keeper, central D, central mid, and forward).

The other thing that bothers me is when people talk about finishing as if it is a matter of luck that will all come out even in the end. It's not. It's a quality, much like possession or team cohesion. Right now, Thursday's match excepted, Toronto seems not to possess this quality. This doesn't make them unlucky, it just makes them worse than they might otherwise be.

Archived