What we learned tonight

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Jarrek, uhmm..haven't you been watching the Vancouver highlights?? Who beat you twice, with a 1st team roster?? If it were Vancouver needing 6 goals and they had Montreal CSL players there to play against, and they would have won 6 - 1, I would still be ashamed, cuz this doesn't do anything for the sport here. All it does it make Montreal look like a team that virtually didn't care enough to consider the V-cup important when it didn't matter. I'm glad TFC got through. I enjoy watching TFC and MLS do well, but I don't like "dirty" politics or behind door rumbling or a team of no-shows to influence the result. If it were Montreal's 1st string players playing against you guys and you guys hammered them 6 - 1..I would've said, "yeah, montreal are really bad, and that game proved it"...I guess Vancouver and Montreal will unfortunately create a derby outta this game, moreso than Montreal and Toronto. Remember that derbies and bad blood usually start with these events. It will be good for the game though, as now Toronto and Vancouver hate Montreal :P (the team, not the fans)..remember I'm speaking as a new derby happening.

No one beat TFC twice this year, sorry to spoil it for you :(

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Pawel

No one beat TFC twice this year, sorry to spoil it for you :(

Thanks for the correction..meant Montreal twice and Toronto once in the Voyageurs Cup..still look at this schedule..something ain't right..honestly. All games were close games, until the last game played today.

Wednesday, May 6

Toronto FC

1:0

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Wednesday, May 13

Toronto FC

Montreal Impact

Wednesday, May 20

Montreal Impact

0:2

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Wednesday, May 27

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Montreal Impact

Tuesday, June 2

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

2:0

Toronto FC

Thursday, July 18

Montreal Impact

1:6

Toronto FC

Missed the game (out on the pitch instead), but sounds like... well, it sounded awful. And I like Toronto FC.

My condolences to the Whitecaps fans who, it seems, got really hard done by.

Sort of, though, it seems a no-brainer if you're coaching Montreal, with two games in three days: the first a fixture against an MLS side in a competition from which you've been eliminated. The second should be a tight game against your most hated rivals in the league. You don't play your first-stringers in the MLS game. (But who thought scheduling those two games in three days was a good idea?)

Anyway, some fun ideas about how to fix this: others have suggested UEFA tiebreakers or a fourth team. Personally, I think the UEFA idea is silly: all you do is allow someone to clinch the tournament earlier. (If you don't know why that doesn't work, then you haven't seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZR1s5O2SLY) Adding a fourth team seems like a good idea, both in order to balance the schedule, and also to provide some national exposure for the CSL and PCSL. I suppose it hinges on their being able to field a competitive finalist.

Oh well, at least TFC finally won something. Good for us!

Fact ... 6 out of 11 Montreal starters, started against Vancouver in the 1-0 loss of the CC, and Byers and Donatelli were subbed in past the 75 min mark.

23 - Stephen deRoux (D)

24 - Simon Gatti (D)

2 - Kevin Sakuda (D)

17 - Joey Gjertsen (M)

21 - Félix Brillant (M)

S - Tony Donatelli (M) (74')

18 - Leonardo Di Lorenzo (M)

Sub - 28 - Peter Byers (F) (79')

And ...

EpicFailMontrealImpact.jpg

Nuff said. This is football, stop whining.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that people scream of conspiracy theories when Toronto FC won this game. Sure it wasn't against a top notch Impact squad - but from my understanding they had a lot of injuries and when you factor in a league game in a few days against the Whitecaps, how can you blame the Impact for not fielding their best team.

You see it all the time, hell look at Champions League in Europe.

Us old timers remember. Back in the day the Lynx used to roll over during the end of the season and sell all of their best players to Montreal. In this case Montreal bent over and took it in the rear end. What we learned is what goes around comes around. Eastern teams are corrupt.

Guest speedmonk42

Sebrango was out for personal reasons. Can't fault anyone for that.

If I recall... TFC gambled big time defensively .

Frei had to make some pretty decisive saves and Montreal forced a penalty on some good offensive play.

Many of the games against Montreal and Vancouver were SHOOTING galleries. This was bound to happen, especially against a depleted Montreal side.

But to say the Montreal players threw the game is really insulting to Montreal. All they had to do was bag one goal and they were trying to get it.

All people talk about now is how this forum is dead. And they are quitting coming here.

It is because of bull**** threads like this and people acting like greating dicks.

I saw the highlights and since I don't follow the CCL that closely nor do I follow men's outdoor soccer with more than a passing interest, I didn't realize the Impact didn't field a full squad.

However, I thought this game was good for exposing non-soccer fans to the game. The biggest thing I don't enjoy about men's outdoor soccer is the lack of scoring. Its the biggest complaint I hear about soccer from non-soccer fans, so a 6-1 is a great way to combat that. In fact, scoring 6 goals in a game should not be a record, but rather the norm.

On a side note, I did see the game was on SRC tape delayed and tried to watch it. I turned the channel after a while because watching a postage stamp is annoying. Did anyone else, see that the picture was the HD feed crammed into a SD feed? Thereby making my 52" tv have an actual picture of about 25".

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I'm open to a format change. But, until the tourney is expanded beyond these three clubs I can't (or wouldn't like to) see that happen.

Was tonight really that bad for the tourney? Drama is good. This was an emotional match worth watching for all concerned. Fun for some, not so much for others. But it was captivating.

No matter how you slice it TFC had to win by 4 goals to claim the Cup. 4 goals. That's a tall task for any club regardless of the circumstances. But they did it. And they did it on the road. Against a club which makes claim to being near MLS quality. And they did it while the all-but-ordained Champions watched from the grandstand!

What's not to like!

Bravo. Good for them. Good for the Vs Cup. I can't wait to see the trophy presentation at the next match at BMO Field.

Exactly! This is the stuff these competitions are made of. This couldn't have gone any better from the standpoint of building a tradition. I'm really surprised at the amount of sore losering that has come from both sides (TFC last year, Vanc this year.) This is great stuff for the future of the competition.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Exactly! This is the stuff these competitions are made of. This couldn't have gone any better from the standpoint of building a tradition. I'm really surprised at the amount of sore losering that has come from both sides (TFC last year, Vanc this year.) This is great stuff for the future of the competition.

Totally.

As a relative neutral in this competition, I thought it was great. I think for next year, the Whitecaps will come back even harder. Stuff like this makes the competition better and better every year.

Also, for all those original Vs that put in money to get the Voyageur's Cup going, is this not the coolest picture?

df5db09b4e0c853212daae5c8590.jpeg

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Sebrango was out for personal reasons. Can't fault anyone for that.

If I recall... TFC gambled big time defensively .

Frei had to make some pretty decisive saves and Montreal forced a penalty on some good offensive play.

Many of the games against Montreal and Vancouver were SHOOTING galleries. This was bound to happen, especially against a depleted Montreal side.

But to say the Montreal players threw the game is really insulting to Montreal. All they had to do was bag one goal and they were trying to get it.

All people talk about now is how this forum is dead. And they are quitting coming here.

It is because of bull**** threads like this and people acting like greating dicks.

Exactly, TFC took a few chances by playing attacking football like that and MTL had their moments where they could've scored and change the outcome of the tournament. If the game had finished 5-2 for TFC on a last second goal by MTL, no one would say a word and probably Vancouverand most neutral fans would've praised MTL players for their character.

Because it didn't happened it's now a proof it was corrupt and MTL players didn't try? People need some perspective and understand that one goal was the difference here 5-2 instead of 6-1 and Vancouver would've won the V cup.

Stop complaining.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Except in Europe they throw the league games to do well in the CL. Doesn't make it right.

The reverse is also true. When teams are fighting relegation domestically, they will field the weaker squad in European competition cause going deeper in Europe doesn't mean much if next season your in the 2nd division!

Secondly, and a few people have brought this up in passing, but I'd really like to put the question to the non-Impact fans. If you were in Marc Dos Santos' shoes, with all the injuries the Impact had, and the fact you are playing a very important league game in 2 days, what would/could you have done differently?? The choice of keeper is the only thing that comes to mind for me, and even then, I don't think Jordan would have fared much better, considering how most of the goals went in. Besides that, I don't see how he could have fielded a stronger squad than he did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Impact fan, and am very disappointed in the result, but I also can't see, objectively anyways, what the Impact coaching staff could have done differently in terms of player selection??

If someone has any ideas, please, let's hear them.

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

The reverse is also true. When teams are fighting relegation domestically, they will field the weaker squad in European competition cause going deeper in Europe doesn't mean much if next season your in the 2nd division!

Secondly, and a few people have brought this up in passing, but I'd really like to put the question to the non-Impact fans. If you were in Marc Dos Santos' shoes, with all the injuries the Impact had, and the fact you are playing a very important league game in 2 days, what would/could you have done differently?? The choice of keeper is the only thing that comes to mind for me, and even then, I don't think Jordan would have fared much better, considering how most of the goals went in. Besides that, I don't see how he could have fielded a stronger squad than he did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Impact fan, and am very disappointed in the result, but I also can't see, objectively anyways, what the Impact coaching staff could have done differently in terms of player selection??

If someone has any ideas, please, let's hear them.

I'm a little bit confused here since a lot of MTL fans are also blaming their team for yesterday result. You are one of the rare who's asking questions about what was the point for Dos Santos to play his best players.

So far, I haven't seen many thoughtful answers to that question. If the format of the competition allows a coach to play his bench in a game against an opponent who needs a result, it's not the coach/team problem. He doesn't have to make sure the competition is fair for everyone, that's not his job. His job is to make sure his team does well in the competition they are still alive.

No one blamed The Netherlands for playing their B team in last year Euro (maybe because they still won against Romania) but I don't see the point for MTL to play it's best players in a meaningless game for them.

The CSA is repsonsible to ensure the format of the competiton isn't flawed and they'll have to go back to the drawing board to find a way to avoid a similar situation in the future. I would go with a final with the top 2 teams but that still wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a similar situation happening on the last game of the group games.

Anyways, we've heard for the last year how USL team have more depth and stuff like that. Yesterday, MTL played their back up, who according to a lot of comments made in the past year were pretty good:

(thanks to BearcatSA for posting this link)

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18398&whichpage=1

Well, I think we can reconsider those thoughts about the quality of USL teams depth now.

BTW, is that true that MTL started 7 players who started against Vancouver? If it is, I can't really see any reason to complain.

Archived