What we learned tonight

1) That as long as the tournament is in a round robin format, no CSL side should ever be considered for entry.

2) The tournament format needs to change it's tie breaking formula to have more emphasis on head-to-head play.

3) If there's such a thing as karma, the Impact will lose on Saturday and eventually miss the playoffs.

Anything else?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm open to a format change. But, until the tourney is expanded beyond these three clubs I can't (or wouldn't like to) see that happen.

Was tonight really that bad for the tourney? Drama is good. This was an emotional match worth watching for all concerned. Fun for some, not so much for others. But it was captivating.

No matter how you slice it TFC had to win by 4 goals to claim the Cup. 4 goals. That's a tall task for any club regardless of the circumstances. But they did it. And they did it on the road. Against a club which makes claim to being near MLS quality. And they did it while the all-but-ordained Champions watched from the grandstand!

What's not to like!

Bravo. Good for them. Good for the Vs Cup. I can't wait to see the trophy presentation at the next match at BMO Field.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I'm open to a format change. But, until the tourney is expanded beyond these three clubs I can't (or wouldn't like to) see that happen.

Was tonight really that bad for the tourney? Drama is good. This was an emotional match worth watching for all concerned. Fun for some, not so much for others. But it was captivating.

No matter how you slice it TFC had to win by 4 goals to claim the Cup. 4 goals. That's a tall task for any club regardless of the circumstances. But they did it. And they did it on the road. Against a club which makes claim to being near MLS quality. And they did it while the all-but-ordained Champions watched from the grandstand!

What's not to like!

Bravo. Good for them. Good for the Vs Cup. I can't wait to see the trophy presentation at the next match at BMO Field.

I think tonight was bad for the tourney. If say the Whitecaps were eliminated and had nothing to play and were playing Toronto or Montreal at Swangard, and I paid to see a "good" professional game, than yeah, I'd be pissed if my home side lost 6 - 1 or fielded semi-pro's. I think the key point is to change the rules to "force" teams to play in good spirits, even when the result is meaningless. Like I said, use UEFA or CONMEBOL competition guidelines to make sure games are "fair" and bear "unbias" whether from the winning or losing team.

If anything we learned, is that a fourth team is needed so it would lower the chance that tonight gets repeated. Well, I guess not so much stops what happened, but it would have given the Caps a shot as well at pumping in the goals.

Then maybe the fourth place team misses the next tournament. So say Montreal finishes fourth due to goals, then they are eliminated from next years CCL.

As for the tiebreakers, they do use the FIFA rules do they not?

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

I think tonight was bad for the tourney. If say the Whitecaps were eliminated and had nothing to play and were playing Toronto or Montreal at Swangard, and I paid to see a "good" professional game, than yeah, I'd be pissed if my home side lost 6 - 1 or fielded semi-pro's. I think the key point is to change the rules to "force" teams to play in good spirits, even when the result is meaningless. Like I said, use UEFA or CONMEBOL competition guidelines to make sure games are "fair" and bear "unbias" whether from the winning or losing team.

ya sure.. when Montreal goes to Champions League it's great for soccer (even if they blow it 5-2 to Santos) but the Big Bad TFC wins and suddenly it's bad for the game. That's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

Let's get over this argument of what is good or bad for the game.

That's a massive exaggeration, just as it was an exaggeration that getting 50000 at the Big Owe was good for the game. People need to cut back on the rhetoric after their team loses.

If anything, it just creates more rivalries. I'm sure Vancouver will be quite interested in that game against Montreal on the weekend ;)

And TFC fans are over the moon right now. Is that good for soccer? ;)

I don't think Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver fans are content with this. Sure TFC fans are happy with the result of the match and the fact they get to represent Canada in the Concacaf champions league, but honestly 6 to 1. How legit was that? Every Whitecap fan has to feel dissapointed. You could feel how this was going to end early in the first half, and DeRo was convinced of it at half time. How exciting was that. I can't imagine how ****ty Impact fans feel about the performance of their team tonight. I paid $50 to sit in Section D for the Whitecap vs. TFC match at Swangard a few weeks ago. The were quite a few empty seat around me in this platinum area. Next year there will be one more empty seat there. Not because of sour grapes about losing, but this game in no way fit in with the five previous matches contested in this series.

I feel really bad for Vancouver fans because their team played well, but this was a very exciting and dramatic night for Canadian soccer.

Guys, can we wait a couple of days before launching attacks (maybe the Montreal-Vancouver game this weekend?) and just enjoy an exciting game. The tournament format debate can wait until everyone has settled down.

BTW, Montreal did not just roll over. They are a struggling USL1 team with an injury crisis that faced an MLS team which took huge risks at the back. At one point, after subbing in Ibby for Nana, they had just two defenders (Garcia, who played the full game and was on a yellow, and Velez, who is **** and usually on a near-red). All of these risks inorder to throw all offensive weapons forward. A few more minutes, and TFC would have literally thrown a kitchen sink onto the field!

If Ottawa, Hamilton, or Victoria gets a pro squad (USL1 or MLS), then I am all for expansion. In the meantime, this small tournament where every game can mean something is really exciting to watch.

Toronto 6 - Impact 1 = bad, right?

- TFC advances on a close goal differential in the final match. ****storm ensues.

Canada lots - Guatemala great all (last U-23 Qualifying)

- all is merry, good guys advance on a close goal differential in the last match

loving the double standard from the Vees ....

Couple of things need to happen:

1- get a fuc king 4th team into the tournament(don't care CSL,PDL,PCSL....how it's determined)

2- away goals count as 2 like in Europe(in tie breaker cases)

3- IF we play in a 4team format LAST Pair of games PLAYED SIMULTAINIOUSLY Same time. That way less chance of a fuc king C-squad game again

quote:Originally posted by jimmynow

ya sure.. when Montreal goes to Champions League it's great for soccer (even if they blow it 5-2 to Santos) but the Big Bad TFC wins and suddenly it's bad for the game. That's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

Let's get over this argument of what is good or bad for the game.

That's a massive exaggeration, just as it was an exaggeration that getting 50000 at the Big Owe was good for the game. People need to cut back on the rhetoric after their team loses.

If anything, it just creates more rivalries. I'm sure Vancouver will be quite interested in that game against Montreal on the weekend ;)

And TFC fans are over the moon right now. Is that good for soccer? ;)

Well Jimmy, I'm sure plenty of Toronto fans can understand why the fact they'll be advancing as a problem, they blew out an injured/young/reserve/ non motivated side, unlike a close victory showing they deserved it because they played complete game, not a few games and one gift.

Montreal played all of last year's tournament, which is why it was good for the sport. Now we're sending a team due to this shameful game.

And now that you're in the same position as we were last year, prove to us that you guys are better, by owning your group, and advancing to the semis.

I'm sure you'll "blow it" against a worse team than Santos Laguna. And when that happens, you'll be in no position to talk about our champions league results.

On the brightside, montreal fans: It's time for TFC to put their money where their mouth is, and prove they can do better than us, like they said they could, and if not, it's just another example of the Torontonian arrogance.

Who's blaming TFC in here? I see a billion people saying "yeah, you haters, stop bashing Toronto!" and nobody's doing it. Are we in a parallel universe?

The Montreal Impact organization is a bunch of scumbacks and if Marc Dos Santos never gets another win in his coaching career it'lls till be too many. But congratulations to Toronto FC. They did what they had to do and we can't hold their opposition against them. Good luck to them in the CONCACAF Champions League.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, Canada has two professional teams as of tonight.

What we learned tonight is the Declan Hill was clearly right about this game and even we are not immune to it in North America.

Saputo and his crew should be downright ashamed of themselves and have probably just iced their fate forever with him at helm of any potential MLS Franchise.

6-1!? My lovely Div 2 Pub League side could have done better ffs.

Brutal.

Enjoy your roadkill spoils TFC. You really worked for it ;) (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Nothing needs to happen.

Montreal and Vancouver need to show up next time.

Jarrek, uhmm..haven't you been watching the Vancouver highlights?? Who beat you twice, with a 1st team roster?? If it were Vancouver needing 6 goals and they had Montreal CSL players there to play against, and they would have won 6 - 1, I would still be ashamed, cuz this doesn't do anything for the sport here. All it does it make Montreal look like a team that virtually didn't care enough to consider the V-cup important when it didn't matter. I'm glad TFC got through. I enjoy watching TFC and MLS do well, but I don't like "dirty" politics or behind door rumbling or a team of no-shows to influence the result. If it were Montreal's 1st string players playing against you guys and you guys hammered them 6 - 1..I would've said, "yeah, montreal are really bad, and that game proved it"...I guess Vancouver and Montreal will unfortunately create a derby outta this game, moreso than Montreal and Toronto. Remember that derbies and bad blood usually start with these events. It will be good for the game though, as now Toronto and Vancouver hate Montreal :P (the team, not the fans)..remember I'm speaking as a new derby happening.

Archived