London Geography and Pro Clubs

KAS

Hi Guys,

I have been curious about something for awhile and I haven't been able to find the answer on the net, so here goes:

Which London club, particularly among pro clubs in the top four divisions, is the most centrally located?

I'm pretty sure that Chelsea and Fulham are considered West London, Arsenal and Spurs more North London, West Ham is East London, and Charlton and Crystal Palace are South London. What I don't know is where clubs like Millwall sit, and which ones are really centrally located and which are more of the "Greater London" variety.

So, if you are in London Centre, who's closest?

Guest Jeffery S.

Thought it was Chelsea too, but the stadium isn't in Chelsea. From the West End looks like a tie between QPR and Arsenal.

Cool website BTW.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

What do you mean by "London Centre"? Buckingham Palace?

It occured to me that it might be difficult to describe the centre of such a large city, but I figured the historic heart (dating back to the walled city of Londinium) might be the ideal.

When in London, you still do as the Romans!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

http://www.communitywalk.com/footballgrounds

Thanks Cheeta.

To my eyes, it appears that Millwall would be physically the closest to the "heart" of old London, with both Chelsea and Arsenal not far behind but from different directions. I was curious to see how close in any pro club had built their stadium and which one could lay the best claim to representing the historic core of the city.

There´s no stadium in the old center of the city. On top of that, the modern downtown is arguably West London, ie. Soho, Picadilly, etc. At night the "city" empties as now it´s really nothing more than the financial center. If you look closely at the map, you can see how the derbies are formed, not just by being in the same city, but rather in the same approximate district or area. Pretty interesting stuff. As far as I know there´s no other city quite like it.

Guest Jeffery S.

The real centre is the West End, as earlimus says.

You could not reasonably walk to any of those stadiums from the West End, or at least it would be a fairly long walk. Only one I have been to is little Loftus Rd with the smell of those sizzling fatty burgers and the fans biting their nails for dessert.

Not only are the close together, they're separated by nothing more than a park!!! I tried to imagine the Braveheart-esque showdowns that must have gone on there on derby days while I walked from Anfield to Goodison.

Goodison Park (where Everton play) just reeks of the common people, it even says "the people's club" on the outside.

Anfield is bit of a dump on the outside as well (although a cathedral of soccer on the inside) and is boardered by two main streets on the west and east ends, and residential streets on the north and south. And get this... the residential streets are completely 100% abandoned. I was walking around the perimiter trying to get some cool pics and I had to walk down them. Pretty creepy feeling. I was totally expecting a group of 11 year old Chaves to come storming out of one of the houses and asking me for my camera. That might have something to do with that actually happening a few months before in Glasgow when visiting both Parkhead and Ibrox stadiums (Rangers and Celtic). Oh Britain and their preteen gangsters.

Another little piece of triva... I only visited Liverpool and Manchester for a few days, but from what people from there have told me and from what I saw, Everton and Man City actually have more supporters in the cities where they're from than Liverpool and Man Utd do respectively. Gotta respect that.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

And get this... the residential streets are completely 100% abandoned.

Liverpool FC actually own most of the boarded up houses around Anfield. They bought them up some years back when they were exploring their stadium options and expansion of the current ground was being considered. The thing about their being more Everton supporters in Liverpool than Liverpool supporters is a myth propagated by Evertonians. If their are more blues or reds, or vice versa, in the city, the difference will be negligible. That's my assessment based on having several friends from their and doing a fair bit of reading on the subject. I'm not sure about how Manchester breaks down between red and blue, though.

That's interesting. How much did they pay, 100 quid apiece? Seriously though, even if there are as many LFC fans as Everton, that's pretty damn impressive to me. You're essentially rooting for a team that will never win anything more than perhaps the odd cup, as opposed to a team that is expected to win something every year.

• 4 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

My goodness, Liverpool and Everton play so close together!

Unnecessary trivia, but I believe the two stadiums in Dundee (one for Dundee, the other for Dundee Utd) are across the street from each other.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dundee+united,+dundee,+scotland&sll=56.472353,-2.968369&sspn=0.183941,0.433273&g=dundee,+scotland&ie=UTF8&ll=56.474758,-2.971169&spn=0.005748,0.01354&t=h&z=16

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Unnecessary trivia, but I believe the two stadiums in Dundee (one for Dundee, the other for Dundee Utd) are across the street from each other.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dundee+united,+dundee,+scotland&sll=56.472353,-2.968369&sspn=0.183941,0.433273&g=dundee,+scotland&ie=UTF8&ll=56.474758,-2.971169&spn=0.005748,0.01354&t=h&z=16

One of the weird things in the world of football:

dundee_dens_park.jpg

Archived