The Science Of Excuses

relegated

Jason de Vos recently made an observation on the Men’s National Team that I think is now applicable to TFC. He was talking about what the CSA could do, that is under their control, to improve the team. Jason noted that they needed to remove the excuses. Things such as travel arrangements, training facilities and even coaching can be latched onto by players as excuses for not performing. You need to eliminate the excuses so that the players have no choice except to perform or take ownership for the lack of performance.

This is not a slight on the players. It is human nature and happens in every work place. Management needs to recognize when it is happening and deal with it accordingly.

In the case of TFC I believe that the Field Turf has become just such an excuse. Yes, Field Turf is a problem but it is not the reason why TFC is not living up to expectations.

One of things I like about Chris Cummins is that upon becoming head coach one of the first things he did was to eliminate an excuse. John Carver reinforced in the player’s minds that MLS officiating was bad and hurting TFC. When Cummins took charge he shrugged this off noting it was the same for everyone and nothing to get overly worked up over. You no longer hear players, coaching staff or FO complaining about the officiating. It’s still a problem but it no longer appears to be an excuse.

DERO is a leader on the team and his complaining on the turf has to affect the other players. I get the feeling that this TFC team isn’t going to get much better until the Field Turf issue had been dealt with. Unfortunately there is no quick fix solution and that doesn’t bode well for the rest of the season.

Guest speedmonk42

I think you may be missing the fact that the 'complaining' is also a public part of the negotiations.

I played on BMO when it first opened, and again recently.

The difference is astounding, and the field is very dense and hard.

If the FieldTurf surface is really as bad as people are claiming it is, relative to what it was like when it was brand new then either the maintenance has been inadequate (FieldTurf pitches do need proper maintenance) or there are grounds for a warranty claim against the manufacturer and/or installer.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

If the FieldTurf surface is really as bad as people are claiming it is, relative to what it was like when it was brand new then either the maintenance has been inadequate (FieldTurf pitches do need proper maintenance) or there are grounds for a warranty claim against the manufacturer and/or installer.

The artificial grass blades have already been "fluffed" twice this year and the infill re-done before the start of the last two seasons. 16 hours/day of use 365 days a year are unlikely to be the figures used when the manufacturer was making an estimate for a 7 year lifespan. Obviously deterioration of the surface is going to be gradual. It's not like the surface is going to play perfectly for a number of years before all of a sudden falling off a cliff.

quote:Originally posted by relegated

Jason de Vos recently made an observation on the Men’s National Team that I think is now applicable to TFC. He was talking about what the CSA could do, that is under their control, to improve the team. Jason noted that they needed to remove the excuses. Things such as travel arrangements, training facilities and even coaching can be latched onto by players as excuses for not performing. You need to eliminate the excuses so that the players have no choice except to perform or take ownership for the lack of performance.

This is not a slight on the players. It is human nature and happens in every work place. Management needs to recognize when it is happening and deal with it accordingly.

In the case of TFC I believe that the Field Turf has become just such an excuse. Yes, Field Turf is a problem but it is not the reason why TFC is not living up to expectations.

Where are TFC players making the turf an excuse for results??? They just lost two games on grass and are still 3rd in the east. They simply hate playing on the surface irrespective of the outcomes of games played on the surface.

I've said this in other places too...

I hate the turf and would love to see grass - desperately.

However, I think grass can only hurt TFC at this point. Unfortunately, they are not good enough and the turf (whether they will admit it or not) is their only competitive advantage. This team practises on the turf day in day out... how can it hurt TFC more than a visiting team used to playing on grass?

Does anyone think that field turf is the real reason Barrett cannot finish,

or Vitti missing the target? If the other team can score, what does it say

about TFC? The reason Barrett couldn't score in Houston was because it was grass?

I know complaining and excuses are part of sport, but if money changes hands somebody

has at least a fiduciary duty to deliver.

TFC has to address its issues and there results will likely come.

quote:Originally posted by dgroen

I've said this in other places too...

I hate the turf and would love to see grass - desperately.

However, I think grass can only hurt TFC at this point. Unfortunately, they are not good enough and the turf (whether they will admit it or not) is their only competitive advantage. This team practises on the turf day in day out... how can it hurt TFC more than a visiting team used to playing on grass?

Gotta agree there ^^. I've written more than a few times about the turf and my wish to see it gone, but if anything that and the wind can only help TFC and their home advantage at BMO. That being said, I'm sure it does suck to train and play on.

I don't see a problem either with DeRo complaining about it in the media. It's good to get some attention on it.

I've played on a few types of field turf (maybe that's a brand name, I mean artificial grass), whether it was decent or of poor quality it usually had only two effects: scrapping your legs and arms on the field turf burns more but leaves a lot less of a mark and heals quicker. I don't see what the fuss is about, You could be playing on uneven pavement and it'd be fine as far as compitition goes cause everyone plays on the same field (that's just a poke at anyone who claims it plays different, Big Greating Deal).

De Vos is making a decent point, and Toronto could actually probably afford it but the trouble is that it's technically curing hypochondria, and although it will happen at any team, just how much are you willing to spend when you know it's really just poor composure. THink about when you were a kid playing hockey and you were losing and someone was being an ass in the stands, you blame the guy in the stands for the loss and can't block them out. Technically your coach would probably help your game by getting rid of that ass but being able to perform in these situations is an acquired skill, so quick fixes to the problem are just going to delay dealing with the problem and probably stunt the developement of composure.

There is a huge advantage to field turf. If you get used to it and actually feel it as your hime turf, then it's going to be the other teams bitching about field turf and playing poorly at BMO.

Archived