Are the Whitecaps better than MLS teams?

spiral

Watching the Whitecaps win last game, I'd have to say the Whitecaps, talent wise, are on par or better than most MLS teams.

Mabey not Championship level, but certainly impressive by MLS standards even though they're not yet an MLS team.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree.

Vancouver were better organized yesterday, and they probably have better depth, but the elite players on Toronto (De Ro, Guevara, and I would also include Serioux) are better than anything Vancouver has.

The depth shows when a guy like Gordon Chin is made a starter, and he hardly puts a foot wrong all night. Rarely did he do anything spectacular, but he didn't give up possession, made the simple pass, and gave his teammates an option. I don't know if Toronto has a midfield player on their bench who can do that. Or maybe the team organization doesn't allow serviceable but unspectactular pieces like that to succeed.

Guys on Vancouver who could play in MLS: Wesley Charles, Lyle Martin, Jay Nolly. Likely Knight, Gage, and Haber in a year or two, which will be right in time for Vancouver's entry into MLS.

Justin Moose if he's healthy...

Ansu Toure, if he can sort out his consistency. Tuesday, the magic was there.

And don't forget - Marlon James is supposed to be our big striker up front. Two time Malaysian scoring champ and a Vincy Heat international. He's only played once or twice in league action this year before injury.

Kenold Versailles is an unknown... he played his first minutes as a sub v. TFC on Tuesday having been out with a nerve injury in his leg.

Vancouver is a deep squad when we're healthy.

Watch for residency kids Dever Orgill and Randy Edwini-Bonsu to rip up the pitch in a few years... these kids are some talented mofos.

I think TFC failing to win the Voyageurs Cup last year and now this year is not showing that the teams (as in the players) are better on Montreal and Vancouver. I think its showing that the Impact and Whitecaps organizations are better from the top down including owners, general managers, coaches, scouts and player development.

The Whitecaps made a serious commitment to youth development a few years ago...and saying they were going to do it was one thing, backing it up was another. They've managed to slowly get some of the clubs around the LM on board, and what's as impressive as the Residency program, is the layers below that with Prospects etc. Whether the 'Caps are as good now as top MLS teams isn't as tantalizing as what they WILL be in 2-3 years.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I don't know if Toronto has a midfield player on their bench who can do that. Or maybe the team organization doesn't allow serviceable but unspectactular pieces like that to succeed.

Pretty much exactly what I've been arguing about Hemming and Rosenlund for the last year.

quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

The Whitecaps made a serious commitment to youth development a few years ago...and saying they were going to do it was one thing, backing it up was another. They've managed to slowly get some of the clubs around the LM on board, and what's as impressive as the Residency program, is the layers below that with Prospects etc. Whether the 'Caps are as good now as top MLS teams isn't as tantalizing as what they WILL be in 2-3 years.

I'm afraid about what will happen to the Caps as an organizatioon once they have to deal with the rules and methods of MLS.

For example the roster restrictions. I think MLS only allows a team to sign 1 academy player per year to the main roster, this year (or next) that means that the Caps could only sign one of Edwini-Bonsu or Adam Straith. That's useless.

Old news. The silly MLS regs will be changing, and Kerfoot is hammering out the fine details with the board of governors. Garber has said many times that the Vancouver model is something the other clubs should be aspiring to.

Co-owner Jeff Mallet said it best: "When we talked with MLS we told them Vancouver Whitecaps are not a soccer team. This is a soccer CLUB."

The 'Caps will have a great transition to the MLS. They might make the playoffs their first year at this rate. Although I won't get my hopes up as the MLS is a little different re: academy player call-up rules etc.

What exactly is the final word on that? The academy player rules. Will the Caps be allowed to use the players from their residency program? Is it now limited to 3 or something?

The final academy rules for MLS have not even been decided yet. So the argument about how many players they can sign is currently a moot point. The Whitecaps have basically laid out the blue-print of how every team should be run. Whether the other owners are willing to pony up a million a year for academy teams remains to be seen.

One thing that's very clear is that player development is going to change for the better in MLS. As for the investment, once the owners realize they can recoup their academy expenses through transfer fees and better success on the field, it should be an easy sell. Once every team buys into the player development system, the real potential of North American footballers will finally be unlocked.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

MLS, North America's second division!

Nice try, dip****.

But do you really want me to dig up the MANY posts you have written waxing poetic about Montreal moving up to MLS?

When they play like they did against Portland, no. When they play like they did against TFC, Montreal or Rochester (even though they lost they played great) then yes.

The top 4 of USL-1 are as good as the bottom half of MLS IHMO.

They have played Seattle in a closed door preseason friendly and TFC twice. Lost 2, won 1, (3-0, 1-0, 0-2).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Nice try, dip****.

But do you really want me to dig up the MANY posts you have written waxing poetic about Montreal moving up to MLS?

I doubt you have anything better to do so go ahead!

BTW, I do want Montreal to go to MLS but it is not because I feel the playing level of the league is much superior but I don't need to repeat myself here since you will be researching my past comments.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Nice try, dip****.

Rudi are you fustrated about something in particular or just angry at life supporting TFC ?

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

When they play like they did against Portland, no. When they play like they did against TFC, Montreal or Rochester (even though they lost they played great) then yes.

The top 4 of USL-1 are as good as the bottom half of MLS IHMO.

They have played Seattle in a closed door preseason friendly and TFC twice. Lost 2, won 1, (3-0, 1-0, 0-2).

In some ways that's fair but, this arguement starts and ends at player salaries.

Sure you can screw up the way TFC has, but chances are when you have more than twice the cash to spend (more after the CBA is up this year) the team will be better.

The youth movement is great, but it's not in full effect yet. If that was the case i might change my answer.

The Whitecaps are a far better organization than TFC. They are a REAL Club, and are built from the ground up, as well as real leadership from the top down. I truly believe that the aspirations of this club are massive. A long term commitment towards continental(global???) greatness is evident in their commitment to youth, and their fans.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

^^^ You're underestimating the greatness of the Whitecaps organization. Kerfoot has already set his sights on winning intergalactic championships against planetary champions from far off galaxies.

Too funny. I'd be happy to beat Man U at the Club World Cup. ;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Too funny. I'd be happy to beat Man U at the Club World Cup. ;)

Pretty hard since they won't be playing in the near future. Caps might though.

Seriously, Whitecaps are a winning organization with a winning mentality. What comes out of MLSE does not have that advantage. I said it before and will repeat: Whitecaps will be competitive from the start and a title challenger within a few years in MLS.

^ The Whitecaps folks have established a very close working relationship with the Seattle club and are watching very carefully how Seattle goes about things and what works and what doesn't. This will definitely give them an advantage in the buildup to 2011.

Archived