Real Madrid to play in Toronto

kyam

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it seems they have two consecutive home dates (one just two days later) so they should at least consider playing those games on grass. I suppose it depends one the robustness of the temporary grass system.

Edit: Oops, the article says the August 9th home date with the Red Bulls would be rescheduled.

This is awesome news. Real Madrid thinks THEY are the ones doing the marketing with this friendly. In fact this gives TFC a chance to put their name on the map of the football world.

This is one game CBC had better televise. Although it will most likely end up being on GOL TV as MLSE recentely brought their stake in the company up to 80.1 percent.

For whatever reason, I'm not interested in buying "premium" priced tickets to see Real Madrid play a pre-season friendly against Toronto FC.

To accomodate this money grab friendly, the Red Rulls game will be moved to June 13, meaning that between May 30 and June 27, TFC will play 7 matches in 29 days (approx 1 match every 4 days).

I'm not anti-money. All the power to them if they can fill their coffers even more than they already do but it will have an impact on the quality of the team's play, especially since they've already had an incredibly busy May (6 games in 21 days between May 2 and May 23)

Guest Jeffery S.

VPjr, go. Madrid are going into next season with a lot of rage, with doubts about starters, a new coach likely, new club president. They'll play full tilt and should be very competitive, and as it is late in the preseason you can expect a good friendly.

So go, even if you have to wear a Barça scarf to piss off their loyals.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

For whatever reason, I'm not interested in buying "premium" priced tickets to see Real Madrid play a pre-season friendly against Toronto FC.

To accomodate this money grab friendly, the Red Rulls game will be moved to June 13, meaning that between May 30 and June 27, TFC will play 7 matches in 29 days (approx 1 match every 4 days).

I'm not anti-money. All the power to them if they can fill their coffers even more than they already do but it will have an impact on the quality of the team's play, especially since they've already had an incredibly busy May (6 games in 21 days between May 2 and May 23)

Isn't this the match that we have already paid for? There is that Carlsberg cup match in the ticket package which was listed as date and opponent: TBD

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

This is awesome news. Real Madrid thinks THEY are the ones doing the marketing with this friendly. In fact this gives TFC a chance to put their name on the map of the football world.

This is one game CBC had better televise. Although it will most likely end up being on GOL TV as MLSE recentely brought their stake in the company up to 80.1 percent.

On a day when we lament the fact that there is no coverage once again of our national team, I find it only slightly pathetic that TFC fans expect our national network to televise a money grab by MLSE. Unless of course they use the filthy lucre from this exhibition match to KEEP the grass on the field.

For a league so obsessed with image as MLS, nothing says 2nd rate more than moving a league match in favour of a friendly. If I were MLS I would not allow TFC to do this in the middle of the season. If teams want to schedule friendlies they should do so before the league has been scheduled and if they do not then they should make things work within the league schedule.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

VPjr, go. Madrid are going into next season with a lot of rage, with doubts about starters, a new coach likely, new club president. They'll play full tilt and should be very competitive, and as it is late in the preseason you can expect a good friendly.

So go, even if you have to wear a Barça scarf to piss off their loyals.

If someone invites me, i'll go.

I would be more than happy to pay to see Madrid live, but I prefer it to be on a warm night in Barcelona, sitting in Camp Nou, watching them lose to Barca. :D

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

For a league so obsessed with image as MLS, nothing says 2nd rate more than moving a league match in favour of a friendly.

The ultimate irony here is that there are probably plenty of folks within the MLS brain trust who think that having MLS teams go up against Real (and messing up their domestic league sked to do so) actually makes them look more professional and credible.

How often will a two year old team get a chance to play against the biggest club in world soccer? If the opportunity is there, you take it. This is not something to pass on. It’s a reward for the fans, even if they will rip them off with crazy ticket prices. I’ll pay $100 to go see Real Madrid. If a league game needs to be rescheduled, there will still be three months left in the season to do it. And there may even be a chance that C. Ronaldo will be plying in that game.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Would not be surprised to see Real Madrid arrive in Toronto with their third string players. After all their going to be playing a third rate team.

What was that? Couldn't hear you from USL and the third division italian teams you play....

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Would not be surprised to see Real Madrid arrive in Toronto with their third string players. After all their going to be playing a third rate team.

What was that? Couldn't hear you from USL and the third division italian teams you play....

But you're happy to pay to see a bunch of has-beens in a casual kickaround against some local hotshots, all of whom are well past their best-by dates ;).

But you're happy to pay to see a bunch of has-beens in a casual kickaround against some local hotshots, all of whom are well past their best-by dates ;).

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I knew you</u> were going to bring that up. When I wrote it, I actually said to myself "Richard's not going to pass up this opportunity to pounce". [:P]

As a TFC fan, I don't want to see them screw with the schedule to accomodate a blatant money grab game.

The Zidane friendly (assuming it actually happens) is different for me...I know the logic is a bit odd but it makes sense in my mixed up noggin.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

No way did someone bring up our international record.

Lets compare it with Toronto's list:

omg really? you played a meaningful match against italian opposition? cause if you didn't, which I don't think you did, no one brought up international records the way you meant it :( try again

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

How often will a two year old team get a chance to play against the biggest club in world soccer?

CONCACAF Champions League... and then the World Club Cup.

I agree also with Grizzly, this wreaks of bush league by MLS, but what is worse: this, or loaning out your biggest stars in the off season?

Archived