Star article re: Carver vs. Paul James

Gian-Luca

Interesting blog article from Chris Zelkovich as to why Paul James is no longer with Gol TV:

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/hebb-says-paul-notified-that-his-contract-wouldnt-be-renewed-mlse-had-several-people-on-staff-and-didnt-need-as-many-announc.html

This suggests an earlier post someone made here about why James was gone from Gol TV was indeed accurate.

I find it hard to take seriously the two people Gol TV have doing in game analysis when they broadcast the TFC games.

I think Paul would make a far better studio analyst than Lee Godfrey. Lee is a good host (better than the young woman they've got doing the job...she is annoyingly perky) but Lee is definitely not capable of giving me analysis that is in depth enough to hold my attention.

I've disagreed with Paul's opinions on various issues but at the end of the day, the man is a good student of the game and is far better suited to working as an analyst on game day than the person currently doing the job. MLSE has made an error by letting him go and if it really has anything to do with his spot-on criticism of JC's rant against that reporter last year, then it is a pretty pathetic move.

I would have thought, from his background, that Carver would have been quite accustomed to excessive media scrutiny. We are not even close to the kind scrutiny and sensationalism that we see in regards to soccer in England. And, unlike other pro sports that are coverered locally, TFC coach's and management are not under the same "hot seat" as in other sports.

Therefore, I find it hard to imagine what could have been reported or asked from the media that would have lit a fire under Carver. I have barely, if ever, seen or heard a desenting voice or questioning of the coaches or management's abilities in the media.

I think the author missed the real deal. I think Paul James routinely went after Mo Johnston on Extra Time (GolTV Cdn soccer feature), much more so than after Carver. Of course, MLSE can line the walls with sycophants now that they own the network.

^Owning the network might end up being more of a problem than a help for Canadian soccer fans. I like some of the work that GolTV is doing, but they have to realize that they are a national network and not just a network for TFC fans. When they broadcast a game and they contintually say 'the Kansas City Wizards against YOUR Toronto FC' it pisses me off to no end. They are not my Toronto FC. I'm watching the game in BC!

STOP DOING THAT!!!

quote:Originally posted by masster

^Owning the network might end up being more of a problem than a help for Canadian soccer fans. I like some of the work that GolTV is doing, but they have to realize that they are a national network and not just a network for TFC fans. When they broadcast a game and they contintually say 'the Kansas City Wizards against YOUR Toronto FC' it pisses me off to no end. They are not my Toronto FC. I'm watching the game in BC!

STOP DOING THAT!!!

MLSE owns GolTV! So they can do whatever they want to with their channel.

^Thank you for your Grade 5 response. I recognize that MLSE owns GolTV...that is why I wrote it down. They can do whatever they want with their channel, but if they want to treat it like that, don't expect any non TFC fans to watch.

^ It's true. It's only a matter of time before GolTV becomes TFC-TV; right beside LeafsTV and RaptorsTV. Even the V's Cup game against Montreal (GolTV "production" with internet delivery) the announcers took the time to go through the subs for TFC but not Montreal.

^ I am suspecting that to be the plan which would be a shame, IMO. With the Whitecaps coming to MLS in 2011 and the Impact shortly thereafter hopefully, you'd think they would want to provide equal coverage to all Canadian clubs in order to expand their audience.

^Likely in pratice, but maybe not in name. This is true of every sports network with marginal properties. Although TO/Ontarios relative economic clout is on the downswing, it is still the dominant force in the Canadian market - economic, media, population, and this is not changing anytime soon. There is some closing of the gap with the relative strength of the Western Provinces, but Ontario, remains, in terms of GDP, only marginally smaller than the 4 western provinces combined, and populationwise, is nearly 3 million larger than the 4 western provinces combined. So naturally, they will focus in on the bread and butter market of Ontario. But equally, I would not think they would go to TFC TV because a) the Ontario niche market for soccer is not that strong and, a lot of advertisers will prefer a national presence precisely because of the emerging strength in the west.

quote:Originally posted by masster

^Thank you for your Grade 5 response. I recognize that MLSE owns GolTV...that is why I wrote it down. They can do whatever they want with their channel, but if they want to treat it like that, don't expect any non TFC fans to watch.

I highly doubt non-tfc fans would cancel GolTV unless MLSE gets rid of La Liga and/or Bundesliga games.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think the author missed the real deal. I think Paul James routinely went after Mo Johnston on Extra Time (GolTV Cdn soccer feature), much more so than after Carver. Of course, MLSE can line the walls with sycophants now that they own the network.

MLSE and TFC Front Office are VERY sensitive when it comes to media criticism, especially from high profile, respected, knowledgeable commentators.

The majority of the media that covers TFC doesn't know a soccer ball from a volleyball. they take what they're given and regurgitate it.

Guys like Paul, who actually know the game, can analyze what TFC (management and players) are doing, point out the glaring errors and ultimately put guys like MoJo, the coaches and players on the defensive because they are exposed.

There are other media commentators who TFC would love to censor as well because they feel that those people are "too critical". I call it being "too honest".

In a country where soccer was the #1 sport, these guys would be skewered regularly and they would have to deal with it. However, here in Canada, they are so rarely challenged that rather than try to listen to criticism, determine how valid it is and address it if its proven to be valid, they tend to reflexively ( i hope that is a word ) try to shut the critics up. All that does is create a sort of chilling effect.

I encourage the honest, intelligent commentators to continue to criticize when its valid. The knowledgeable fans appreciate it (I know I do).

Note that in most of the cases where Paul criticized Mo, it was to his face, as both were on the Extra Time with Lee Godfrey as host. I would imagine the optics were not great to MLSE to see their GM put on the spot on the show.

Wasn't Paul James criticizing our WNT in 2007 after they were eliminated from the WWC? And a few months later he was hired by Pellerud to help the team in China as a scout.

I have respect for Pellerud to be able to recognize that Paul is an assess for his team despite the criticisms he made.

Archived