Saputo: "Montreal in MLS no longer if but when."

SteveBeau

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I've heard this record before.

i've heard this record before too, but the song is different this time...

Different context now, Joey does not want to be the only canadian team left in USL and he is no longer trying to get in for half the requested expansion fee..Huge difference..

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

Different context now, Joey does not want to be the only canadian team left in USL and he is no longer trying to get in for half the requested expansion fee..Huge difference..

Very true.

Maybe he's been shamed into making a deal, since both Vancouver and Toronto will be/are in MLS. Who knows?

That said, I'll believe it when I see it. I've read far too many statements from Saputo and the Impact on this subject to take anything they say on this matter at face value.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

Now that's a tune I can listen to!

Sounds positive....This is the 3rd article I've read regarding this so I'm hoping.....but I've been disapointed before. I think it's more than just Vancouver going to USL. BIG USL teams have left: Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland, leaving Montreal and Puerto Rico as the last 2 big clubs in the USL. I can't seem to get excited about a Montreal vs. Austin matchup......

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

http://canadianstretty.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-canadian-clubs-to-mls.html - I included Saputo's most recent quote and the whole idea of getting Canadian clubs to the MLS.

Saputo is banking on a $35 million franchise fee (same amount as the Vancouver entry) $25 million from the provincial government to upgrade the stadium (20k+ seater with year round training facilities). He feels he could be ready for 2011, allowing MLS to have a balanced shedule with equal amount of teams in both conferences.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090508&content_id=250381&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

May 11 2009 article by long time Impact Journalist Martin Smith (In french)

http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/38-soccer/5155-impact-mls

quote:Originally posted by Raven

Sounds positive....This is the 3rd article I've read regarding this so I'm hoping.....but I've been disapointed before. I think it's more than just Vancouver going to USL. BIG USL teams have left: Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland, leaving Montreal and Puerto Rico as the last 2 big clubs in the USL. I can't seem to get excited about a Montreal vs. Austin matchup......

I think you are probably missing Rochester from that list of big USL teams.

Guest speedmonk42

Man that would be simply awesome if they bagged it for 2011

Holy crap, in our wildest dreams....

The way Seattle have been able to compete so far this season may limit the concerns in that regard where franchises being "promoted" from USL-D1 are concerned. The other angle to consider would be getting broadcasting and corporate sponsorship deals up and running as smoothly as possible in a Canadian context. I always think the expansion timetable stuff is more for PR consumption than anything else. If the right deal comes along they will go for it once all the ducks are lined up in a row.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

There's no way Montreal is in for 2011. 2012 for sure...Joey has to pay a price, and they're not going to have 3 teams begging for expansion cast-offs in one year. 2011 will be a sad year in USL...

I think MLS HQ is more concerned with the paycheck. Garber has shown if you can write the cheque you get the team. So I'd bet when Montreal is ready, MLS is ready.

Geez, if Ottawa can get their stadium **** sorted oh boy.

(Refreshing isn't it? A league that is expanding and expanding where it's wanted, outside of the US sun belt. What a concept).

P.S. Lets do the math. $30M USD from Philli, $75M USD from Portland/Vancouver, and maybe another $35 USD from Montreal and or Ottawa. Economic crash my ass. Garber must be looking like a genius these days. And Saputo to if he can pull this off.

I'm still wainting for Garber to give the prize and the date for the next teams to buy an MLS team.

Last time, it was during his visit in Montreal one year ago : “40M$ for teams 17 and 18, 50M$ for 19 and 20”

Montreal tried to come in the same year as Philly and pay the same prize : Garber said no

Now, Montreal is trying to come in the same year as Vancouver and also pay the same prize. Will Garber answer be different ?

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The way Seattle have been able to compete so far this season may limit the concerns in that regard where franchises being "promoted" from USL-D1 are concerned. The other angle to consider would be getting broadcasting and corporate sponsorship deals up and running as smoothly as possible in a Canadian context. I always think the expansion timetable stuff is more for PR consumption than anything else. If the right deal comes along they will go for it once all the ducks are lined up in a row.

Corporate sponsorship is already in place for the Impact, and the list is quite impressive. As far as broadcasting SRC, Team 990, and CKAC are already on board.

quote:Originally posted by MTL_4_LIFE

RDS needs to jump on board and broadcast the games.

RDS means TSN ,and they both owned by ESPN, so we should ask ESPN, Maybe they will consider it if the impact are in MLS. But I think MLS has a deal FSC. so I don't think it will work? But i would like tough.

sounds quite interesting from what Garber wrote in that article. 2011 would seem too good to be true, Garber might even make us wait a bit longer just to punish Saputo for the first situation... lol. Overall great and encouraging news!

You know what? I could live with 2012 too!

Seems that not many people are talking about the biggest difference between this attempt by Saputo and the last Impact bid: he no longer has George Gillett in the stable. The guy who's spent the last year trying to divest himself of his sports interests.

Archived