Expanding the Voyageurs Cup

^ You still have to win to get in. You have to beat out the other A license teams to enter the cup. The hope is we get enough of these clubs that it won't be a coin toss scenario, it'll be the country wide standard for serious pro teams. If Amateurs want to win a shiny trophy too, they can win the challenge cup.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clear things up, I'm not holding this hypothetical "A license" up to a standard that would be impossible for anyone but the big three to measure up to. Basic things like an A licensed head coach, U18/16 programs, stadiums of a minimum capacity (say 3,000 seats), no football lines, proper concessions and restrooms, dressing rooms, working scoreboard, etc. Some current CSL clubs should be easily be able to reach these goals, and if entrance into the Voyageurs Cup is waved in front of their faces it should inspire some new investors to jump on board.

This year the coaches of the CSL are not as high level as they were last season, the league indicated in their press conference last year, that the level of coaches in the league was the best in the league's history.

I think this season half of the coaches have an A license, either from here, europe or both.

Great article by Ben, and great discussion by everyone.

The Voyageurs Cup has become our de facto national league and something all of the smaller clubs would like a piece of. Standards have to be put in place and I don't think the CSL, which is no more known outside of Ontario than the PCSL is outside of BC, should get the one spot over leagues/clubs like PCSL and PDL.

Let's not lose site of why we created the Voyageurs Cup in the first place. It was to have a domestic Cup for our professional sides, that had been sitting maligned for years, waiting for empty promises of a national Cup. The fans (Voyageurs) took matters into their own hands in 2002 to create this, and the clubs gleefully jumped on board.

I also agree with comments that the CSA should use this Voyageurs Cup to stimulate interest. It is a carrot, and I can't think of anything more important for clubs with the means to take the leap to professional status. This is a real incentive for our second tier clubs to step-up and play with the big boys. And by stepping up, I mean take their clubs more serious and invest accordingly.

The CSA can't play favourites with second tier Canada, regardless who it is. There's great clubs from coast to coast, many with long and rich histories, whether it be Toronto Croatia in the CSL, Victoria Untied in the PCSL or Thunder Bay Chill in the PDL.

The Voyageurs Cup is a huge success on every level and the CSA know it. The last thing they want to do is water it down and tarnish the competition. Yet they would love to see it expanded to provide an incentive for our top semi-pro clubs to take the leap up.

We all want to see the Voyageurs Cup act as the vehicle that can expand the professional landscape in Canada, but there's lots of details to be worked out and no reason to rush into anything.

quote:Originally posted by red card

agree with you 100% - the majority of North American sports names are a bunch of crap and at times have no connection with the city - Calgary Flames being a prime example.

Soccer is about organic passion - it's one of the main attractions of the sport. Making it soccer mom friendly isn't the way to go.

Ah, being a Flames fan, I beg to differ. The name Flames was inspired by the flames of Atlanta. When Tecumseh Sherman was using his war by the sea tactics, he burned down the whole city during the Civil War. That's where the name comes from.

Archived