Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA - Apr. 22nd 2009

jpg75

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall not bad, the team fought hard for the win. The first 30 minutes were horrid to watch as we had awful movement off the ball and were really not giving too many passing options to the ball carrier. It seemed like we loosened up and played with confidence after the goal...

Best game of the season so far. Just a great overall great team effort. Everyone played hard and well, the gaff by Velez didn't cost them a goal, Cronin was MOTM IMHO (great service into the box several times). Defense played very well, goalie (although not seriously tested) was solid, mids and fwds controlled the ball and recovered it quickly most times. Barrett caused problems with his speed and hussle, DD was just a great presence out there all night. Vitti tries to do too much on his own but was still very effective. AG was quarterbacking the field great, Wynne & Brennan were doing great runs and getting back on defense.

Just a great overall game by TFC and well deserving of the win.

So you have 8 out of 18 points so far. That is playoff range. Keep it up.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

20 points minimum by the end of May would be good so a summer slump when the weather moves away from what suits a high tempo direct style and international callups start to be an issue again isn't fatal. That means at least 12 from the next 18 possible. That shouldn't be mission impossible from four home games and two away.

I agree with your observations. I also hope this was a good confidence builder (i.e. not surrendering the lead in the latter stages) and perhaps the team will be able to carry the momentum into the next match and beyond.

Best Team Performance by a country mile last night. The formation change paid huge dividends.

Now, if Galindo and Razov were starting for Chivas last night, our defenders might have had more trouble and I was unhappy with how the team seemed to lose all ability to hold the ball in the final 10 minutes (not coincidentally, after Vitti was subbed off). But, overall, I was very pleased and it was a very big win.

I would not change a thing for the KC game (including keeping Carver upstairs). I saw KC play on TV 2 weeks ago vs. San Jose and, although they looked decent in that match, I didn't see a team blessed with much quality down the wings (Claudio Lopez is not the man he used to be and doesn't scare me much). I'd like to see TFC continue with the 4-2-3-1 formation (even if it means Barrett continues to get the start, as painful as that is for me to say) and try to funnel the opponents attack into the center of the park. I doubt with Cronin and Robinson in front of the back 4 that guys like Davy Arnaud will have the time and space to unleash 25 yard missles like he did in the opening game of the year.

It's true De Ro doesn't score often but at least he's assisting in some goals and also creating goal chances. Brennan goal was assisted by DeRo, first Guevara goal was thanks to DeRo shot, Colombus Crew own goal was from DeRo's free kick.

Also, I believe he could do better playing as a forward since Barret can't do the job but he's still starting every game.

I was sitting about 5 rows up from those kids in Section 110. After they lit them up you could see the cops below us all gathering around and talking to each other. I'm guessing the kids kind of got nervous and threw them before the man could get to them. The first flare got caught in the wind and landed in the first few rows of Section 113, the second landed by the corner flag.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

My preferred TFC formation would be when DeRo is back.

<center><center> Frei

Wynne Serioux Velez Brennan

Cronin Robinson

Ibrahim Guevara De Rosario

</center>

Vitti</center>

I'd use Vitti where you have Ibrahim (maybe switching wings sometimes with De Rosario as happened last year with Robert and Ricketts) and Dichio where you have Vitti given players at the back (primarily Brennan and Wynne) are prone to launch it long a lot of the time. Ibrahim and Barrett would then be the late subs. If Ricketts isn't on a guaranteed deal the possibility of him returning to the UK in time for the summer window when/if a suitable replacement is found would be high on the agenda. The fact he didn't get in on Wednesday suggests is no longer much of a factor in John Carver's plans and players making over 100k who don't start regularly usually don't hang around long on MLS rosters.

Here I was freezing my b off and wondering even why,must be that soccer and it's magic. I was ready for another downer and settled in my seat,next to that lady whose's hips are just as wide.Kind of kept me warm. Ok let's backtrack ,I went to shoeless first and than I became to realize and for the very first time I was a foreigner and the only one with an accent. Mind you it is very slight and some people even claim I don't have one. Never mind none of these guys and girls had any and than I started to ask questions. Boy these guys and girls are very well educated have great jobs and to me the cream of the crop in Canada.

It hit me with a tremendous feeling of glory,we are here to stay and these kids ,guys and girls will make sure this thing is going to be bigger and better, Canada is in very good hands.

So it was not that cold after all thinking about this revelation. Again these guys around me are something else and reminded me of the days my room mate had these poker parties,bunch of kids in a business suit.I guess no matter what you have that thing. Well my neighbours sure enjoyed that game and made no bones about that.

The game well finally some very decent and intelligent passing and plays.

It sure was a different game from the other night. I thought that Danny inspired our kids and his body language and extreme determination told a lot.Serioux was totally motivated and somebody said that there was a shot on our goal,Well that must have happened while I was not watching. Never ever in my life have I witnessed an no shot on goal game.

We won and was very well deserved so I am looking forward to a warmer day and I hope that that sun shines and we win as well.

Adrian Serioux is surprisingly frank about how he sees things at centre half in the Globe and Mail today:-

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090424.w-TFC25/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

$B!H(BIt was actually great back there,$B!I(B Serioux said of playing alongside his fellow defender last Wednesday.

$B!H(BIt's one of those things where I think he's a true centre back, where Kevin Harmse and myself are converted centre backs. It's definitely an advantage playing back there with one guy who understands the game and just goes out there and does what he has to do.

$B!H(BOur styles are pretty much similar when you look at aggression and how we get stuck in there #8211; we don't miss a beat. If it's a striker trying to avoid myself, he's going to go over there and get the same kind of treatment, so it's a great combination we have going on right now, so we'll see how it goes. $B!D(B Why fix anything that's not broken?$B!I(B

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Here's the victim:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/04/24/9228476-sun.html

PS: She's hot! Way out of El Grande Grizzly league! :D

I suspect El Grande will be inviting her to sit with him .. when the Impact go to TO... you can never disount his ability to be charming and bring a young lass over to his side.

Heck .. he might turn on his minstrel charm.. Loyola.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Adrian Serioux is surprisingly frank about how he sees things at centre half in the Globe and Mail today:-

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090424.w-TFC25/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

It was actually great back there, Serioux said of playing alongside his fellow defender last Wednesday.

It's one of those things where I think he's a true centre back, where Kevin Harmse and myself are converted centre backs. It's definitely an advantage playing back there with one guy who understands the game and just goes out there and does what he has to do.

Our styles are pretty much similar when you look at aggression and how we get stuck in there we don't miss a beat. If it's a striker trying to avoid myself, he's going to go over there and get the same kind of treatment, so it's a great combination we have going on right now, so we'll see how it goes. Why fix anything that's not broken?

Pretty well speaks for itself. Good find, BBTB.

Archived