Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA - Apr. 22nd 2009

jpg75

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Called Football previews the TFC/Chivas game. Nick Green of the LA Daily News and Dave Clark of Sounders at Heart join the hosts.

http://www.24thminute.com/2009/04/its-called-football-pre-game-chivas-tfc.html

A post-game show will take place at 11 p.m. eastern live at thatchannel.com. Ante Jazic will be a guest. We're taking calls at 416-204-9723.

Baseball on that url right now and only a Spanish audio track available on mlsnet.com. Not looking good. Guess there will still be an archived version later hopefully. Here's the starting lineup according to the match tracker:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/scoreboard/game.jsp?match=04222009_CHVTOR

Starting Lineup

* 24 - Stefan Frei (GK)

* 2 - Sam Cronin

* 4 - Marco Velez

* 8 - Pablo Vitti

* 9 - Danny Dichio

* 11 - Jim Brennan

* 15 - Adrian Serioux

* 16 - Marvell Wynne

* 19 - Chad Barrett

* 20 - Amado Guevara

* 33 - Carl Robinson

Substitutes

* 1 - Greg Sutton (GK)

* 3 - Nana Attakora-Gyan

* 5 - Kevin Harmse

* 7 - Fuad Ibrahim

* 10 - Rohan Ricketts

* 13 - Johann Smith

* 32 - Emmanuel Gomez

Vitti, Dichio AND Barrett is an interesting move. As is dropping Harmse for Velez.

According to Mo Johnston only a small strain for DeRo so should be back two games from now, looking at getting a centre half and a wide player but thinks there is a strong squad right now. Transfer window no big deal as can get players in on a free. Didn't think it was a penalty when Dichio went down. Agree with him, for what it's worth.

If they can't beat Chivas on a night like this they never will. Much more balance to the team tonight without Guevara and DeRosario holding each other's hand in an attacking midfield role and both Brennan and Wynne making runs forward. Cronin looks the part playing central midfield. Good to see. Big thing now is if they can cope with whatever tactical adjustments Chivas make. Chivas probably were not anticipating a 4-2-3-1.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Maybe Carver should watch more games from the stands [:0]

You might be onto something. :) Hopefully Velez for Harmse will be the order of the day now (at least until a new centre half arrives). Velez does the little things off the ball to support Serioux that Harmse doesn't (due to the latter being a converted midfielder) and is better at maintaining possession. Dichio also should clearly be starting regularly. There is no major fitness issue there and all the long balls need a credible target. The leadership that is needed from Carver now is how to handle DeRosario when he returns to fitness. In my opinion, he needs to be told that it is either a wide role or the bench and that he has to play within the tactical system from now rather than playing a free role. Hopefully it was just a cramp with Guevara or that last bit no longer necessarily applies obviously. The second substitution was left a bit too late.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

With all the hype about the De Rosario acquisition, Serioux has been the better off-season pickup so far.

Serioux is the better player. He certainly had a better MLS season last year and was far better in WCQ. DeRo has a lot of flash but is a defensive liability and as we have seen with the national team, with the right strategy he is easy to shut down. Give him time and space and he can be creative but rush and crowd him and he will give the ball away. As an Impact fan, when I heard he could be injured for the Impact-TFC game I wasn't sure if I preferred him to play or not. If Serioux were injured for that game it would be a far more serious loss for TFC in my opinion.

That was the best soccer I've seen TFC play so far this season. Who needs deRo and Carver! ;)

But Chad Barrett still cannot deliver, his days must surely be numbered.

I thought Barrett had a good game, he was involve in the play, passing generaly well and tracking back to help defensively. Of course, he missed that breakaway but that was still a great effort and an excellent save.

That was a good win by TFC. I like how they played defensively, giving up few chances and Frei having a quiet night for his first MLS clean sheet (his handling on that first half strike was superb). Serioux was excellent and Velez was pretty good IMO.

I would keep that starting 11 for this weekend game.

I expect the same line-up will be there. Velez wasn't too bad - he did have a couple of his patented heart-attack moments including a brutal give away that thankfully Chivas didn't take advantage of. He was helped by Serioux being a monster out there tonight, absolutely nothing got past him and I don't understand what the thinking is of whoever does the player of the game voting at BMO Field as they gave it to Barrett instead of Serioux (the previous match Cronin got it instead of DeRo) - though I understand Gol TV gave it to Serioux at least. The team is still way too central though, not enough player getting to the end line and making crosses. Vitti was good at keeping possession and Dichio creating havoc which panicked the Chivas defenders. Thankfully Chivas was pretty anemic offensively for the most part for a team tht was undefeated until now (affected by the weather perhaps?) and gave us a major assist on the goal by passing to Dichio in the first place.

That was the best soccer I've seen TFC play so far this season. Who needs deRo and Carver!

But Chad Barrett still cannot deliver, his days must surely be numbered.

Think big Snack needs to be given some credit for the save on the breakaway in the first half. As long as Barrett gets service onto his right foot like that the goals will flow to a certain extent. Just a question if it will be enough to warrant 200k against the cap. He needs to receive the ball under control in close. It doesn't work when he is the one chasing about to receive the long balls.

I want to see this one on TV again before i make any brash observations but from my estimation:

-Serioux man of the match by a huge margin

-Chad Barrett = house league role model chasing down balls at all ends of the field only to deliver crappy service and waste chances.

-Cronin was 100x better centrally than he was out on the wing. See what happens when you let players move into their natural positions?

- Valez and Vitti looked to have a bit of nerves about them but I'd like to see them both start next game. Valez is simply more the defender than Harmse and Vitti always looked to be in the right spot on the field.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I want to see this one on TV again before i make any brash observations but from my estimation:

Ditto for me, but on first viewing of the match (starting at the 25 minute mark) I definitely agree with your thoughts about Cronin's performance: combining with Robbo in front of the back four provided both a stouter defensive spine but they also had some good build up passing interchanges. Definitely not taking anything away from Serioux, however: he had another strong match, demonstrating mobility, agility, and ball winning power. On his current form he can match up against the brawn of a big target man (like Cooper) yet close down smaller players who rely on quickness.

Archived