Terracing comes to Montreal

Daniel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

In lower leagues yes, but don't almost all first division teams in Europe have all seaters today.

No, as far as I know it is only in England where terraces have been banned. Not sure about Scotland and there may be one or more other countries with bans but most top divisions have some terraced stadiums. The trend now for stadiums in large cities with big teams is to build stadiums with removable seating so that they can have terraces for league games and put in seats for international and European Cup games that require all seating stadiums. Schalke and Dortmund's stadiums are examples of this.

In lower leagues yes, but don't almost all first division teams in Europe have all seaters today.

I know they're used to differing degrees in the top leagues of Austria, Germany, Sweden and Holland. I'm sure there's others

I think it's a great idea. Keeps people from accidentally buying supporters section tix.

quote:Originally posted by Kurt-MTL

Guess they were worried about those UM hooligans ripping up seats eh Grizzly? [:P] ;)

Actually we requested the seats be removed and they agreed. The seats in the stadium are not very sturdy and easily damaged but it also doesn't make any sense to put more expensive seats in an area where people will be standing on them. UM was not damaging seats on purpose but they were getting damaged just from the wear and tear of being in a supporters section. It is better for us moving around for them to be gone and better for the team not to have the expense of replacing damaged seats.

I was under the impression that without exception UEFA Cup and Champions League fixtures MUST be held in all-seater stadia (as must EPL & SPL matches. Not sure about FA Cup). Or in instances where terrace stands exist, the terraces will not be open during these fixtures.

UEFA WCQ & EURO qualifiers too if I'm not mistaken.

Terracing isn't as dangerous as it once was when you had those great open stretches of concrete terraces, 40-50 "steps" high, only separated down at the pitch by chain link and concrete fencing. All the remaining terraces I've seen (in the Old World anyway) have railings placed every so smartly every few steps to limit and channel any crush which may occur. Doesn't mean there aren't some old style terraces out there still, just none that come to my mind.

Odd, isn't it that this topic should come up during the week of the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough...

(Gawd, what a decade. Heysel. Valley Parade. Hillsborough.)

Guest Jeffery S.

I think in Spain first division all seats must be numbered, with a seat. Also believe that is the case with Champions matches. Numbered seats, no general admission tickets.

Not sure what officially constitutes a seat though, if it could be a spot on a concrete bench , with lines painted on each side to divide it from another spot.

Also have to differentiate between: terraces, where it is also possible to sit down if you want; and individually seating areas where fans habitually stand up.

If the seats impede habitual standing, or even make it dangerous, by all means take them out. A good idea. But fans should be aware that after taking a piss and having a beer at the half that they will not be able to reclaim their "spot".

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think in Spain first division all seats must be numbered, with a seat. Also believe that is the case with Champions matches. Numbered seats, no general admission tickets.

Not sure what officially constitutes a seat though, if it could be a spot on a concrete bench , with lines painted on each side to divide it from another spot.

Also have to differentiate between: terraces, where it is also possible to sit down if you want; and individually seating areas where fans habitually stand up.

If the seats impede habitual standing, or even make it dangerous, by all means take them out. A good idea. But fans should be aware that after taking a piss and having a beer at the half that they will not be able to reclaim their "spot".

Jeffery.. why would you leave a terrace at half time to take a piss .. is that not part of the terrace culture ?

As to getting your spot back .. that to me would seem to relate to the respect given to you on a particular terrace, it will be interesting to see how UM work it out.

I mean if your Richard you might not get your spot back if your El Grande Grizzly.. I suspect the Kop will part and allow you back to your spot.

Now the big question is will TFC get a terrace ?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Jeffery.. why would you leave a terrace at half time to take a piss .. is that not part of the terrace culture ?

As to getting your spot back .. that to me would seem to relate to the respect given to you on a particular terrace, it will be interesting to see how UM work it out.

I mean if your Richard you might not get your spot back if your El Grande Grizzly.. I suspect the Kop will part and allow you back to your spot.

Now the big question is will TFC get a terrace ?

Huh?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Huh?

If you're not clear on what he said I beleive the part about why would you leave a terrace refers to the stories of people in England feeling a warm feeling on the back of their legs as they were pissed on in the terraces because people wouldn't leave to lose their spot.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

If you're not clear on what he said I beleive the part about why would you leave a terrace refers to the stories of people in England feeling a warm feeling on the back of their legs as they were pissed on in the terraces because people wouldn't leave to lose their spot.

They also used to roll up fanzines and piss onto the tier below. Ah England, such a land of culture.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

Thanks Nazzar and Tintin.. glad to know there are still people around who have a historical view of history.

Its okay Jeffrey your from Van .. we can make allowances.

We'll probably fight to get the best spots. Expect stabbings and gun shot wounds. :D

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks Nazzar and Tintin.. glad to know there are still people around who have a historical view of history.

Its okay Jeffrey your from Van .. we can make allowances.

So all those silly stories about bags of piss in Central America, kid's stuff for anyone with English soccer experience. Don't know why anyone ever worried about such stuff.

quote:...people in England feeling a warm feeling on the back of their legs as they were pissed on in the terraces because people wouldn't leave to lose their spot.

Ah yes, the days of the "Hot Pocket." On rainy days, if you were foolish enough to wear a raincoat without flaps over the pockets, you were fair game. Bloody hilarious!

Guest Jeffery S.

So all those silly stories about bags of piss in Central America, kid's stuff for anyone with English soccer experience. Don't know why anyone ever worried about such stuff.

Archived