Saputo wants government to help MLS bid

rdroze

Interesting. Saputo still does want in to MLS, and has finally realized that getting the politicos to cough up the cash is the way to go.

The Canadian Press

April 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM EDT

MONTREAL — The Montreal Impact is seeking $25 million in government funding to expand its stadium and strengthen its bid for a Major League Soccer franchise.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090415.wsptsaputo15/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Very interesting indeed. Maybe if the federal and provincial governments were to agree to this, they might ask Saputo to relinquish his monopoly over soccer in Quebec as part of the bargain (i.e. allowing either a USL or PDL team in Quebec City).

Still, it's the first clear indication from Saputo since they pulled out of the expansion race that he is still interested in taking the Impact to the next level.

What I find interesting about this is that for the longest while we were all speculating that perhaps Joey figured that USL was alright to stay in, that it wasn't going to be a mistake to not focus on getting into MLS. I think this development paints a clear picture that even he believes that it will most likely be MLS or bust. Perhaps not bust completely, but certainly that for the Impact to maintain the ability to grow and compete for things like the CCL, getting into MLS really is the only way to go.

Yes, BMO Field and BC Place were built with public money, but they remain public assets. Stade Saputo is privately owned as I recall. Big difference. Furthermore, Joey has misjudged his timing really badly, economic times now are very different from what they were when commitments were made for those two projects. I wish him every success nevertheless but somehow I think the only well he stands a hope of drawing from is the Quebec government, for ideological reasons I doubt the Harper conservatives will be interested.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Yes, BMO Field and BC Place were built with public money, but they remain public assets. Stade Saputo is privately owned as I recall. Big difference. Furthermore, Joey has misjudged his timing really badly, economic times now are very different from what they were when commitments were made for those two projects. I wish him every success nevertheless but somehow I think the only well he stands a hope of drawing from is the Quebec government, for ideological reasons I doubt the Harper conservatives will be interested.

Yes, but despite Harper's claims to be a fiscal conservative, as someone who lives in Quebec when has Harper not missed a chance to lick the ass... (no not classy enough for Richard), bum... (no he still might be offended) the buttux (spelled with Joe's opinion of the typical spelling of my generation) of Quebec or anywhere else if he thinks he can pick up a few votes for it? All jokes aside, if the other stadiums can get massive ammounts of public funding surely we can get a very moderate amount in Montreal.

I've accused Mr Harper of a lot of things but being a conservative isn't one of them! [}:)]

If Mr Saputo can swing a deal for $25 million to expand his stadium then that frees up the extra he seemed to want for expansion fee.

I think it is quite possible he will get it and yes it is good to see he still has his eye on MLS. Montreal needs to get in next round or sooner with a relocation.

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

If Vancouver can get 328 M in recession, Montreal can surely get 25. Finally an agressive move towards MLS. Joey's bid to buy the Montreal Canadians can only help.

I have no objection to any level of government getting involved in bringing MLS to Montreal. But I just want to clear up the facts surrounding the BC Place renovations.

A.) The renovations are not being done for the Whitecaps or MLS. They're being done primarily for the Olympics (internal renos now) and to extend the life of the facility (thus, the new roof). The Whitecaps were invited to play at BC Place after the renovations were already planned and financed. The only consideration given the Whitecaps was to create a more intimate "soccer-friendly" configuration that brings no additional costs to the renos.

B.) There's no federal finances going into the stadium reno. All arrangements are coming through the province.

C.) The $365 million is being financed primarily through the future sale and development of the land surrounding BC Place, along with the substantial energy savings that will come by not having an air-supported roof. For the most part, the BC Place renos are self-financing.

D.) The Whitecaps will have no ownership stake in the stadium. It's a public facility that can be rented by anyone.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

I have no objection to any level of government getting involved in bringing MLS to Montreal. But I just want to clear up the facts surrounding the BC Place renovations.

A.) The renovations are not being done for the Whitecaps or MLS. They're being done primarily for the Olympics (internal renos now) and to extend the life of the facility (thus, the new roof). The Whitecaps were invited to play at BC Place after the renovations were already planned and financed. The only consideration given the Whitecaps was to create a more intimate "soccer-friendly" configuration that brings no additional costs to the renos.

B.) There's no federal finances going into the stadium reno. All arrangements are coming through the province.

C.) The $365 million is being financed primarily through the future sale and development of the land surrounding BC Place, along with the substantial energy savings that will come by not having an air-supported roof. For the most part, the BC Place renos are self-financing.

D.) The Whitecaps will have no ownership stake in the stadium. It's a public facility that can be rented by anyone.

Hey don't worry I'm actually happy for the VWC and the fact that they got help from the goverment. Vancouver deserves it, and I'm also happy for the help TFC received. I'm only comparing numbers to point out that 25M should not be considered too expansive by Quebec and Ottawa.

:D

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

Hey don't worry I'm actually happy for the VWC and the fact that they got help from the goverment. Vancouver deserves it, and I'm also happy for the help TFC received. I'm only comparing numbers to point out that 25M should not be considered too expansive by Quebec and Ottawa.

:D

Hey...you're preaching to the choir here :D. Personally, I think stadiums can be a good civic investment, and I totally agree that governments have a role to play in making it happen.

I'd just like to point out that the above ^^^ was written by a Montreal writer, rather than by myself (I believe Grizzly has a restraining order out that prevents me from writing on the Impact). At any rate Steve has joined the 24th Minute to provide insight and news from a Montreal perspective -- unedited by the Toronto bastard that has made his opinion on USL-1 soccer well known.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I think what's intended is that he has been with the club (which is a 1st division side) since 1997, and not that he has played in the first division with Bakau since 1997. Big difference.

Ya..i'm pretty sure thats what was meant as well....

TO GET BACK ON TOPIC, I think Joey's a LOCK to get the funding from Quebec. The Saputos have connections, the province has been a partner, and even though we ALL made this comment, NOT going MLS could be very detrimental to the Impact.

Building the stadium up to MLS standards will take a year, and employ some serious trades for that time.

We have to keep up the momentum, specialy in Montreal. Since it's going well in To. and Bc.

I still have to convince my French and Italian friends to come see an Impact game.That's the problem right now,North American soccer doesn't get it's chance. Europeans Soccer is the best ,but if we don't support our team ,our league and our national soccer team we'll never see something close to that level of play ! We need to put pressure on C.S.A to wake-up a bit ,and the sports media to realized that their is more than Hockey to our world.

We should write to the sport minister and the city mayor! Anyone as an idea how to do it?

^^

Have a look at my site Friends of Soccer (www.friendsofsoccer.org), read some of the early articles in the blog (2006) and you'll have an idea as to how we ran our stadium campaign. The Portland Timbers were also very active in getting their city council to approve their stadium (http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=mlsinpdx) . You might find some ideas you can use in Montreal.

For us in Vancouver, a key was to connect to many different communities that wouldn't normally have a lot in common other than soccer. Hopefully, you'll face far less opposition than we did here.

Saputo used $15 million of his own money money to build a 13000 seat stadium, and now needs 25 million to bring it up to 20,000 seats??? I realize that you have to factor in luxury boxes and concession stands, etc., What else is included in the expansion plans?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Saputo used $15 million of his own money money to build a 13000 seat stadium, and now needs 25 million to bring it up to 20,000 seats??? I realize that you have to factor in luxury boxes and concession stands, etc., What else is included in the expansion plans?

SS is a stadium on one side and spartan stands on two. You need to make it a 4-sided stadium, with concourse and infrastructure.

Archived