ISM,another beauty

john tv

The 64 page Glossy and high class Tournament guide is another example how big soccer is in Canada.Every tournament that takes place is listed and it took 64 pages to do so.Mind boggling and kudos to Alfons for putting this together.The article and great pictures about the Impact and it's fans is also an amazing inside into how successfull soccer is in Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

John, yes 1000 house league juicebox festivals, but how many QUALITY tournaments? How many tournaments with an international (non-USA) team?

So do I understand that you're not interested in any other kind of tournament and you don't think it is worthwhile publishing a directory of as many tournaments as possible, at all levels for all levels of temas/players? Inside Soccer does a grand job with this tournament issue. I can't tell you how many people email me asking where they can find tournaments for their youth teams. Where else is such a listing available?

Not every team wants or is qualified to play in these mega-tournaments with international teams. The lower level ones serve a very useful purpose.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Not every team wants or is qualified to play in these mega-tournaments with international teams. The lower level ones serve a very useful purpose.

And pretell what purpose is the lower level tournament ?

You send out twelve year olds to play all weekend in hot sun they get sunburn, they are over played, the focus on winning the tournament and they and parents spend money on the tournament that would be better spent bringing in a qualifed youth coach from a pro club anywhere in the world for week ..to advance the players love and understanding of the game.

Seriously Richard I thought you were better then that.

Tournaments valuable ? Absoloutly not they dont advance the game at all and they consume valuable resources better spent in other ways.

From both Bobby Deguzman and Tony DeRosario,they both feel that the Robbie tournament contributed greatly to the advancement of their sons.

I am sure that there are other Robbie champions that feel that way come to think of it Serioux,Brennan,Paul Peschisolido.

Tournaments are character builders since coaches and at least the competitive ones train very hard to win. Playing these many games in a week end is also very demanding and brings out the best of every player.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

And pretell what purpose is the lower level tournament ?

You send out twelve year olds to play all weekend in hot sun they get sunburn, they are over played, the focus on winning the tournament and they and parents spend money on the tournament that would be better spent bringing in a qualifed youth coach from a pro club anywhere in the world for week ..to advance the players love and understanding of the game.

Seriously Richard I thought you were better then that.

Tournaments valuable ? Absoloutly not they dont advance the game at all and they consume valuable resources better spent in other ways.

Most kids play sport for fun and recreation, soccer included, tournaments are fun and very worthwhile, not every minute of the average kid's time on the field should necessarily be aimed at advancing the game or with the objective of turning him/her into a professional athlete. Yes, some kids/parents are looking for a higher level and the opportunities do exist. Those kids/parents generally find what they are looking for one way or another and there are ever increasing opportunities in Canada but they comprise a relatively small minority in any sport. It is simply foolish to write off everything that isn't targetted at the uber-talented highly competitive youngster whose sole ambition is to sign with a professional team as soon as possible.

Kids don't play soccer because they love being taught how to man-mark by some washed-up old USL player. They play the game because they love the sport and love competition.

I fully agree that we're lacking technical instruction in our development programme, but let's not lose track of the most important thing: making sure kids want to enter the programme in the first place.

Tournaments (whether they are high level or low level) are fun. The low level tournaments are great for those teams that are not going to qualify for events like the Robbie or equivalent. We must keep the fun in the sport for the kids. Kids enjoy these competitions. I remember playing tournaments and they were a highlite of the season. However, we didn't play too many, which is what made them even more fun when it finally came time to go to the tournament.

I think there needs to be a serious discussion regarding the issue of how many are too many tournaments.

I agree to Trillium's point insofar too many teams are playing too many tournaments, and for the wrong reasons. Rather than play 5-6 tournaments per year, a coach would certainly be better off bringing in a master coach to tutor his/her competitive team. However, still let them play some. I seriously think that some thought needs to be given to limiting how many tournaments a team can play. I just don't know how many are too many

I don't know about BC or other federations, but the OSA has a comprehensive list:

http://www.ontariosoccer.ca/Lists.htm

How many competitive tournaments in the Ontario ISM list are not maintained on the OSA website? I believe you need OSA sanctioning, so my guess is not many.

Decades ago the Robbie used to be THE quality tournament where you always had internationals, and it was as high if not higher in stature than the Ontario Cup at the youth level. But it fell off although I know they are working hard to bring it back.

If they pull off the Burlington inaugural this year, it's another wonder:

http://www.burlingtonpost.com/opinions/article/241948

My point was we have to be top 5 worldwide at producing low-level and mid-level soccer. And in doing so I think we completely rip off the really talented kids by drawing them down to the lowest common denominators in the middle. I just wish we had more high end tournaments, and put even a tenth of the resources into them that we put into the kids below them.

With a proper competition match and in limited doses tournaments are great. You won't see anyone saying kill them. But Trillium has a very good point about parents and resources, and my guess is he is also alluding to a famous local tournament where kids play so many games that by the end they are braindead zombies in harms way and picking up terrible habits.

There are good and bad tournaments, and good and bad situations to go in them. I just wish we had a few more truly high quality ones.

I realize that some of you seam to think you have a mandate to criticize hell come or high water,but hey what is more beautiful in life to see these young kids having the time of their lives.The real purpose is to realize that this is difficult and you have to be good.A tremendous character builder and one that many very dedicated volunteers spent many hours to organize.It is simply fantastic all the way around.The heart and soul of soccer are the tournaments those great volunteers and a bunch of happy kids , with dedicated and committed parents as well.

My hat of to all these great organizers and all for these kids to have a great time.Thanks Alfons and keep it up.

Tournaments are wonderful in theory - fun for the kids for sure. However, the likelihood and opportunity for injury at these summer tournaments where kids play 4-5 games in 2-3 days is too much to ask. A serious cup should be at the shortest 5-7 days and 4-5 games (ie, 1 game a day!). For low-level and mid-level teams, ya tourny's a pretty good and very beneficial. I've just seen way too many injuries and far too low a level of soccer as the tourny's wind down to see the benefit.

Begrudgingly I will enter my youth team in the local associations tournament.

What is more beautiful is seeing a Canadian kid play against a Jamaican kid. What is more beautiful is seeing Canadian kids playing the game at a very high level on Canadian soil. What is more beautiful is seeing Canada qualify for the World Cup.

I've seen 50 years of three-legged Timmy and juicebox Sally. We service them better than anyone in the world. I just wish we stopped ripping off the great kids we have. And if that's criticizing, put me down for double.

My tournament experiences are legendary and this is not bragging.Soccer gives you that ability to shine since so many people know it in their hearts and realize this is very special,but putting your figure ON it is difficult.Let's just say it is for the kids and yes life is all about our children so here it it,the unwritten rule,kids come first,kids need all the attention,kids need exercise and win and kids need the feeling of Love.At least that is how I felt but not in words,just that magic feeling that made you do things for umpteen hours and for free.Tommorow I will tell you my experiences with the Robbie.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Most kids play sport for fun and recreation, soccer included, tournaments are fun and very worthwhile, not every minute of the average kid's time on the field should necessarily be aimed at advancing the game or with the objective of turning him/her into a professional athlete. Yes, some kids/parents are looking for a higher level and the opportunities do exist. Those kids/parents generally find what they are looking for one way or another and there are ever increasing opportunities in Canada but they comprise a relatively small minority in any sport. It is simply foolish to write off everything that isn't targetted at the uber-talented highly competitive youngster whose sole ambition is to sign with a professional team as soon as possible.

Did I talk about turning them into pro players ? I talked about skipping ill planned tournament attendance and instead spending a week with a top quality coach to learn to love the game ...

If you would take of your blinkers Richard and read carefully you might have chance to carry a discussion point.

There is no value in a three day tournment with six games of 40 minutes each versus a weeks training with different coach for four hours a day then playing in your league and winning the next weeks game and the rest of them during a season.

Most teams who go to tournament and win it, promptly lose the league game the following week... players out injured, players not focused, etc. its a mugs game.

Good coaching reduces tournaments and teaches parents that they should not see a tournment or six tournament weekends as social times for them and rest of the team parents... its a silly pattern and it does more harm then good to players and the game.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

My tournament experiences are legendary and this is not bragging.Soccer gives you that ability to shine since so many people know it in their hearts and realize this is very special,but putting your figure ON it is difficult.Let's just say it is for the kids and yes life is all about our children so here it it,the unwritten rule,kids come first,kids need all the attention,kids need exercise and win and kids need the feeling of Love.At least that is how I felt but not in words,just that magic feeling that made you do things for umpteen hours and for free.Tommorow I will tell you my experiences with the Robbie.

I look forward to your posts JohnTV. But I would ask you to take some time this summer and go to tournment in you area, and follow one team at random through the weekend, talk to parents watch the play and quality of it and coaching, ask about the expense of hotel and driving etc. then evaluate it all, if you think spending four hundred dollars to play for three hours in a weekend is good value .. then okay thats your assessment, I personally would rather see the players do something else .. even if its just to go watch the visiting teams at the BMO stadium.

"should not see a tournment or six tournament weekends"

Have I been advocating this kind of irresponsibility, I don't believe so?

All I am doing is defending Inside Soccer Magazine for publishing a directory of tournaments and the fact that sensible participating in a few tournaments can be enjoyable and rewarding for all concerned. You appear to be denigrating any and all tournaments other than a few high level ones for the elite, top level teams. I disagree, you are taking an extreme position. My kids and I have fond memories of participating in out of town tournaments, a healthy experience, but of course it is on the assumption that it is done responsibly by all concerned. Everything in moderation.

Archived