Canadians abroad: April 10-16, 2009

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for April 10-16, 2009.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

England

Premier League

Portsmouth (Begovic) 2-2 West Brom

Begovic stays on the bench

League Two

Wycombe 1-0 Gillingham (Jackson)

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins. Picks up a YC on 58 mins

Conference Premier

Torquay 0-2 Crawley Town (Rayner)

Rayner starts and plays 90 mins

Scotland

SPL

Aberdeen 1 v 0 Inverness CT (Hastings)

Hastings stays on the bench

1st Division

Dundee (Pozniak)0 v 1 Airdrie Utd

Pozniak stays on the bench

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Scotland

SPL

Aberdeen 1 v 0 Inverness CT (Hastings)

Hastings stays on the bench

1st Division

Dundee (Pozniak)0 v 1 Airdrie Utd

Pozniak stays on the bench

I think it is safe to say that if these guys are failing to get any kind of run out with teams at this level, they are D-O-N-E from an NT point of view.

david edgar gets a start with newcastle v stoke...he is replacing the benched big money signing but underperforming coloccini...

they showed david on the right side of a back three formation...

a HUGE game for newcastle and for young david...lets hope he performs...could be a pivitol game for his young career.

edit: after the first few minutes, he seems to be playing more of a central defending role.

Guest ccopela
quote:Originally posted by N-A

LATEST

England

Premier League

Stoke 0-0 Newcastle (Edgar)

Edgar starts

Good to see Shearer is showing confidence in Edgar, hopefully takes advantage of that and plays well.

^either that or he gets a starting role in the championship next season.

he had a decent first half....they are down 0-1, but the goal was not his problem....he has looked much more confident in the centre...no bad passes, lots of good clearing and has bailed out teammates a couple of times...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Can someone else confirm that Edgar is out on contract at the end of the year? If i were him and his agent i'd be looking to get the f*&^ out of that blackhole as fast as possible...

Let the Edgar to TFC rumours begin!

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I think it is safe to say that if these guys are failing to get any kind of run out with teams at this level, they are D-O-N-E from an NT point of view.

I would say more so for Pozniak...he bounced around MLS and can't find time in the Scottish 2nd tier. That doesn't sound like a national team player for many countries.

Brandon Bonifacio wasnt included in the FC Zwolle squad again in their 0-0 draw against TOP Oss.

Marcel de Jong plays 90mins as Roda JC suffer a 4-2 away loss against Steve McClaren's FC Twente.

Last week I told you about Roda JC disappearing and merging with rivals Fortuna Sittard but the merging seems to be off now. Both clubs announced on their website that everything had been agreed and 100% solid , but the province of Limburg has just randomly decided not to fund a part of the project anymore. I guess it's good news for fans but bad news for football. These 2 clubs really cannot survive on their own.

Not sure where these updates belong exactly, but I'll do it here:

In MLS, former U23 teammates Dejan Jakovic and Will Johnson went head-to-head as DC United was beaten 2-1 at home by Salt Lake. Johnson had an assist on one of the goals for Salt Lake. Both played 90 minutes.

Also on the Canadian-players-on-American-teams-in-American-leagues front, those of you who were watching the USL live feed of the Whitecaps-Charleston match will have noticed that in addition to the 7 Canadian starters for Vancouver, Tyler Hemming and Chris Williams also went 90 minutes for Charleston in the 0-0 draw.

Archived