Canadians abroad: April 3-9, 2009

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for April 3-9, 2009.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

^^

That game was last Saturday - March 28th.

And Simeon only has 17 goals at the moment, unless I'm mistaken.

But yeah, Simeon is on fire.

Also, I will be continuing 'the hunt for Ali Gerba' tomorrow. I will be taking in MK Dons vs Brighton in a League One promotion/relegation battle. Maybe, just maybe, he can play more than 5 minutes? Please lord - show pity on a Voyageur.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

^^

Also, I will be continuing 'the hunt for Ali Gerba' tomorrow. I will be taking in MK Dons vs Brighton in a League One promotion/relegation battle. Maybe, just maybe, he can play more than 5 minutes? Please lord - show pity on a Voyageur.

Jackson is on 17 League Goals and 1 Cup Goal to make 18 Goals this season. He should make 20 this season.

Hope you enjoy the game at MK tomorrow. MK Dons should win not sure if Gerba will see any action

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

^^

Ah, my mistake... I got the impression it had just happened.

Still, Jackson is on fire this season.

England

Premier League

Hull 0 v 0 Portsmouth (Begovic)

Begovic stays on the bench

Newcastle (Edgar)0 v 2 Chelsea

Edgar stays on the bench

League One

MK Dons (Gerba) 2 v 0 Brighton

Gerba starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 29 mins.

Stockport 0 v 0 Yeovil (Wagenaar)

No Wagenaar

League Two

Gillingham (Jackson)0 v 2 Barnet

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins

Shrewsbury (Dunfield)1 v 1 Grimsby

Dunfield starts and plays 57 mins.

Conference Premier

Crawley Town (Rayner)4 v 0 Burton Albion

Rayner starts and plays 90 mins

Scotland

SPL

Inverness CT (Hastings)2 v 1 St Mirren

Hastings stays on the bench

1st Division

Morton 2 v 0 Dundee (Pozniak)

Pozniak stays on the bench

Gerba report:

Ali played the full 90 in a crucial win for MK Dons who have been slipping down the table of late.

He played as part of an attacking 3-5-2 for the Dons, and was very much utilized as a centre forward.

Gerba's goal was a well taken opportunity, created from a clever one-two play with a fellow attacker. Ali hammered a strong right-footed shot to left side of goal from 15 yards out.

Again, Ali's main issue looked to be his fitness. He seemed unwilling to do any extra running, and seems to have lost a touch of pace from his summer play with Canada.

In terms of good play: Ali did an oustanding job of shielding the ball and holding things up for the Dons. He was left frustrated on numerous occasions by team-mates who opted to go for goal with Ali unmarked in the box.

Overall a 7/10 performance, Ali again showed his prowess in front of goal, and will have given the manager something to think about for next slection.

The Dons stengthened their grasp on the playoff places and will be a good bet to go up.

Stadium MK is a 24,000 seat beauty. Unfortunately, other than the vocal Brighton support, the ground had all the atmosphere of an Expos game.

Marcel de Jong played 79 minutes for Roda JC in a 1-2 home loss against ajax.

Roda JC is merging with another team team next season (Fortuna Sittard) and the new team will be called Sporting Limburg. Limburg is the province where both teams are located.

There's been a lot of controversy over this merging as both teams are fierce rivals. A lot of car/home windows of both sets of board of directors have suffered because of this. At todays game there were a lot of stadium seats thrown on the pitch. Police had to throw fans out of the stadium after the game as well.

There were also lots people who took off their Roda JC shirts and scarves off and left them in front of the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Roda JC is merging with another team team next season (Fortuna Sittard) and the new team will be called Sporting Limburg. Limburg is the province where both teams are located.

There's been a lot of controversy over this merging as both teams are fierce rivals. A lot of car/home windows of both sets of board of directors have suffered because of this. At todays game there were a lot of stadium seats thrown on the pitch. Police had to throw fans out of the stadium after the game as well.

There were also lots people who took off their Roda JC shirts and scarves off and left them in front of the stadium.

Do you know if this merger has been in the works for awhile or is it more as a result of the world-wide financial crisis?

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^^^Well, between Marcel and Randy Samuel, this should be the Vs club in the Netherlands. If Roda stays up, does the new club stay in the first division? (Sorry, I didn't read the article.)

Good question. I get the impression from teh article that they would stay up, if Roda doesn't get relegated. It suggests that none of the Fortuna players are good enough for the merged club, and states that the games will continue to be played at Roda's homeground, Kerkrade. But I don't think it expressly says it, so we'll see.

For those thinking of making the new club the V's club, Limburg is a very nice part of Holland. There are actually a couple of hills, a rare occurrence in this country.

If it comes to happen, does that mean Sporting Limburg will start next season in Dutch Eerste Divisie? Will it happen wether Roda JC is relegated or not?

If Roda JC will stay up than Sporting Limburg will start in the Eredivisie because they will take over Roda Jc's license.

Both teams have been in financial trouble for a long time and there has been a lot of talk over the years over a possible merging between those 2 clubs.

If Roda JC will stay up than Sporting Limburg will start in the Eredivisie because they will take over Roda Jc's license.

Both teams have been in financial trouble for a long time and there has been a lot of talk over the years over a possible merging between those 2 clubs.

This is very unfortunate for the two clubs and most importantly for both sets of supporters. I know the economy isn't good but surely, the new club will struggle even more in the short term. I can't imagine my club team merging with our hated rivals. It almost happened about 10 years ago when there was talk of Hearts merging with Hibs and I'm afraid to say that if it came as close to what may happen with Fortuna Sittard and Roda, then I'm not sure my reaction would have been that far away from the way both sets of supporters are reacting now.

^in football culture, emotion always overrides logic. There may be a logical argument for two clubs with too-small-to-be-truly-viable fanbases to merge and be stronger for it. Unfortunately, that kind of logic cannot be applied to such a tribal thing as supporting a football club. That's why Hibs and Hearts won't merge, as United and Wednesday could not merge to form one Sheffield club, and why Everton and Liverpool won't ever share a ground.

Archived