GOLD CUP Schedule

River City

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hardly think it is fair to be complaining about being placed in a "Group of Death" considering recent results. Surely none of our opponents are too worried about facing mighty Canada in the first round of the Gold Cup. Off the top of my head, I'd rank the teams Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada, and El Salvador (the WCQ group that El Salvador qualified from is far more ridiculous than anything in the GC setup).

All 3 matches are winnable, but none will be easy. Which is exactly what I would want. And at least there is no patty-cake for Canada against whom Canada would invariably lay a giant egg (Martinique, Guadeloupe).

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Tuesday, July 7 – Columbus, Ohio (Crew Stadium)

El Salvador vs. Canada, 9 p.m. (9 p.m. EDT)

GTA V's BUS TRIP? Hell yes.

I know its really early, but would you/ any other V's actually be interested in organizing this?

I plan on going to the LA game. Seats to LA from Western Canada are often very cheap..I think I'll start another thread to help organize our support in LA. Anyone interested in the Canada - Jamaica rematch? We can all march through Legoland before the game....

Sample fare on Westjet for that weekend is $514.00 inc. taxes.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I, for one, am shocked at the tough schedule given to the Americans once again. Shocked, I say.

Well, the USA are what they are....the best team in CONCACAF. So unless you believe they should be put in a group with Mexico and Costa Rica, pretty much any group they are in will look easy.

BTW, in 2005 they were place with Canada, Costa Rica and Cuba.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I know its really early, but would you/ any other V's actually be interested in organizing this?

i have no prob with organizing a trip, we'll just have to gauge interest first. i'd like to think we can at least fill up a 25 person mini bus leaving from toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I, for one, am shocked at the tough schedule given to the Americans once again. Shocked, I say.

Well we have won the last 2 and 3 of the last 4. Finished first in world cup qualifying for Germany. Not to mention that we are top ranked concacaf team (deservedly so). I'd love to read your argument as to why we shouldn't be a top seed.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Well balanced?!?! Just for laughs, does anyone want to take a stab at rationalizing how these three groups are possibly balanced head to head to head?

I can take a stabe at showing how they are unbalanced:

If you rank the teams by FIFA ranking then they are as such (I arbitrarily put Guadalupe where I did)

1. USA, 2. Mex, 3. Costa Rica, 4. Honduras, 5. Panama, 6. Jamaica, 7. Canada, 8. El Salvador, 9. Haiti, 10. Guadalupe, 11. Grenada, 12. Nicaragua.

Teams in the Groups by ranking.(With the average ranking in paranthesis)

Group A: 3,6,7,8 (6)

Group B: 1,4,9,11 (6.25)

Group C: 2,5,10,12 (7.25)

So, yeah the average ranking is much better in group A. Ideally to make it more reasonable Ell Salvador should be switched with Nicaragua then each group would have a team from each theoretical 'pot' of teams 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12.

Also, interesting to note the way they set up the knockout stage that the only way for Mexico and USA to face each other before the final is if one of them finishes first in their group and the other finishes third in their group. And to ensure that they don't have Mexico and USA finishing third in their groups they give them the two weakest groups. It's such a sham of a tournament when they manipulate the locations based on teams in the groups (although understandable), they manipulate the groups to make sure they can get their marquee final match, and then they manipulate the structure of the knockout stage to try and ensure their marquee final.

i have no prob with organizing a trip, we'll just have to gauge interest first. i'd like to think we can at least fill up a 25 person mini bus leaving from toronto.

I mean even a same day return trip might be fun (thats what the TFC guys did right?)

I can fill one of those seats. Two if I put my feet up.

I know a few other guys who'd also be interested, if they can swing their work schedules accordingly.

Wow! Is this a late April fool's joke? They're going to play a regional tournament in the middle of the WCQ HEX?? And another Gold Cup hosted by the USA? [V]

What kind of teams are the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc going to field? The USA is playing in the Confederations Cup too this summer. Speaking of which, there is no Confed Cup spot up for grabs to the winner of the Gold Cup in 2009.

Is CONCACAF this short on cash?

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^What about Copa America 2011. Or has that invite ceased to exist?

I don't think that invite was ever based on merit. C'Bol would just invite teams they think can generate the most money for Copa America (so Mexico and some other team usually).

Though I could be wrong about this...

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Wow! Is this a late April fool's joke? They're going to play a regional tournament in the middle of the WCQ HEX?? And another Gold Cup hosted by the USA? [V]

What kind of teams are the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc going to field? The USA is playing in the Confederations Cup too this summer. Speaking of which, there is no Confed Cup spot up for grabs to the winner of the Gold Cup in 2009.

Is CONCACAF this short on cash?

I too feel it is very stupid to have the Gold Cup every 2 years. Why not every 4? Or just scrap it all together and send the 6 hex finalist into Copa America. Anyways, all the top teams will send reserve squads. I have a feeling a traditional power will not win this year's Gold Cup.

Archived