BC NDP may reconsider BC Place roof

masster

Funny how the NDP made a HUGE deal about cost over-runs at the new convention centre...yet, the building will pay for itself in short order because it's a one of a kind "green" facility that's attracting business because of its uniqueness. The spinoffs will be huge for the entire province. The bookings are already above projections, and the NDP hasn't mentioned it since.

BC Place attracts shows that can't be housed anywhere else, and between the Lions and Whitecaps there will now be roughly 30 sporting dates per year. Having the option for an open roof for any of those shows will make it one-of-a-kind as well. There's also the issue of saving power over the course of its next 25 years without the pressure fans.

I wonder how the NDP would be handling the current economic situation?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I am attending a conference of the American Bar Association at the new convention centre next week. It is the first time the ABA business section has held its meeting outside of the US. Apparently, a key factor in choosing Vancouver was the new facility. Whatever your opinion of lawyers, having 1500 lawyers plus their spouses in town is going to be good for the economy. This is surely but one example of how the new convention centre will be beneficial.

You know, when this thread started I was worried it would get all partisan and bitter. Luckily, we all seem to agree that the Liberals and the New Democrats are both dismal abortions of political parties with no interest in anything but their own power and glory.

Actually, I'm not sure that's an improvement.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

You know, when this thread started I was worried it would get all partisan and bitter. Luckily, we all seem to agree that the Liberals and the New Democrats are both dismal abortions of political parties with no interest in anything but their own power and glory.

Actually, I'm not sure that's an improvement.

So what's new with BC politics then?

This is in large part why I cannot bring myself to vote for any of the mainstream parties or their candidates. The crass, selfserving, powergrabbing pettiness of BC politics is sickening and a tragic corruption of an otherwise honourable and worthwhile system.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

So what's new with BC politics then?

This is in large part why I cannot bring myself to vote for any of the mainstream parties or their candidates. The crass, selfserving, powergrabbing pettiness of BC politics is sickening and a tragic corruption of an otherwise honourable and worthwhile system.

It seems like you plan on abstaining from voting for either NDP or Liberal in the election. Will you be voting yes on the stv referendum so that there is more of a chance of other parties being represented in the legislature in the future?

quote: This pretty well confirms the NDP's intentions to scrapp the Retractable Roof:

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1917

Are you for real? The first line of this story is "Based on online caucus statements and party advertising launched in late February..."

Personally, I am happily voting for the NDP on May 12th and will have my NDP election sign up the day after the election is formally called. Despite being a big soccer fan, the BC Place retractable roof is not a vote determinant for me or, I suspect, for the vast majority of people who live in this province. The current Liberal government does not represent me, my values or my interests, and I would welcome their defeat, whether it means the retractable roof goes along with it or not.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

It seems like you plan on abstaining from voting for either NDP or Liberal in the election. Will you be voting yes on the stv referendum so that there is more of a chance of other parties being represented in the legislature in the future?

No I will not be abstaining and no I do not support STV. The first past the post Westminster style system we have has served us and many others well for hundreds of years and we know it works. I want one person to represent me in parliament. After the election my elected MLA/MP serves ALL his/her constituents, no matter what party. Don't mess with what is not really broken. In my experience most of the people who support STV or other forms of proportional representation and really understand it (most people don't understand it in any depth) are generally supporters of minority parties who have no or very little chance of ever governing and they see proportionalr representation as a solution to their desire to gain a little bit of power at the expense of hugely complicating the entire electoral process and parliamentary setup. Heck, most people don't really understand the simple yes/no system we have now! NO to STV.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

But there have been many projects announced, completed, or in the process elsewhere. The liberals helped with money for the new arena in Penticton, annoucements have been made for funding for major upgrades to high schools in Vernon and Oliver. Kelowna got a new bridge, just days ago they announced a new highway interchange for near Kelowna, and they are unnecesarily upgraded the highway from Summerland to Peachland.

I think if people are mad that Vancouver is getting too many projects compared to the rest of the province then they are misinformed.

They aren't misinformed when the examples you give are found in Liberal held areas.

Oh "god", I agree with Spiral?

No, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain (about the government). Voting is a right, a privilege as well as a duty. That's why it's mandatory in Australia.

Anyway, even though it will be many years before anyone other than the NDP or so-called Liberals form a government in BC, there are other parties to vote for as well as independents. You can even run yourself.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

You got that right, merely paying taxes does not give one the right to complain.

I agree with George Carlin on this one. Voting just encourages them ;)

On a serious note I have always voted but I want a "None of the above" option mandatory on all ballots. It NOTA gets more votes than the candidates then there is a runoff election in 30 days and none of the people on the first ballot are allowed to run in the second one!

Second if you don't get 50% of the eligible voters out to vote then the election is null and void. Another election is scheduled and none of the candidates in the first one are allowed to run in the second one. If you can't inspire people to get off their butts and go spend 20 minutes to vote for you then you do not deserve to have the job!

Lastly it annoys me no end that the MPs get pensions that would be illegal if any private company tried to do them. Funny how NONE of the parties are addressing that one isn't it!

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I agree with George Carlin on this one. Voting just encourages them ;)

On a serious note I have always voted but I want a "None of the above" option mandatory on all ballots. It NOTA gets more votes than the candidates then there is a runoff election in 30 days and none of the people on the first ballot are allowed to run in the second one!

Second if you don't get 50% of the eligible voters out to vote then the election is null and void. Another election is scheduled and none of the candidates in the first one are allowed to run in the second one. If you can't inspire people to get off their butts and go spend 20 minutes to vote for you then you do not deserve to have the job!

Lastly it annoys me no end that the MPs get pensions that would be illegal if any private company tried to do them. Funny how NONE of the parties are addressing that one isn't it!

I like your proposals, MUCH better than STV!

The NDP have now officially backed down. Nice how they frame it as a Liberal lie after it was them who started running the anti-stadium ads. Good job everyone!

Liberal lie on B.C. Place roof gets a red card

April 10, 2009

Feeling heat for their misplaced priorities, the Campbell Liberals are lying about the NDP's position on the B.C. Place roof.

Carole James' election platform does include funding to cover the estimated $365 million cost of a retractable roof based on the limited details that the Campbell government has released about the project.

We're committed to looking at possible ways to save some money on the project.

We will work closely with Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot and president Bob Lenarduzzi to ensure that the Whitecaps are able to use B.C. Place for their inaugural MLS season in 2011.

Our platform also allocates significant additional capital money--$100 million--to build soccer fields and other important recreational facilities in communities across B.C.

It will create new jobs and benefit thousands of soccer kids and adults who play the game.

http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/liberal-lie-bc-place-roof-gets-red-card

From FoS:

NDP Officially Back Down on BC Place Attacks

Responding to public outrage and pressure from the sports community, the BC NDP offically backed down from their attacks on the BC Place renovations. They also made clear that their platform now includes the full $365 million for the renovations, and includes the retractable roof. The NDP have now also clarified that they will spend $100 million for soccer fields and community centres throughout the province if elected.

You can read their full statement on the matter here:

http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/liberal-lie-bc-place-roof-gets-red-card

While it's regrettable that the stadium was the target of political attack ads by the NDP, I am satisfied that the New Democrats are now fully committed to this project. But they should know that the pressure they felt on this issue over the past week is just a fraction of what our community can bring on them, or any political party, if they choose to use sport as a political pawn again.

The past week has been a testament to what the soccer and sports community can accomplish when we band together. This is a strong win for sport in BC. Regardless of which political party wins in May, they can be certain that the sports community will hold them accountable for their promises, and that we will challenge them when they take action detrimental to sport in our province.

Yours in Sport,

Bill Currie

Friends of Soccer

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

If you pay taxes you have every right to complain whether or not you vote.

....and yes I do vote.

Yes to the first statement, but yes to the second one as well, as a citizen's active role in government shouldn't begin and end with an election campaign.

Hey, BC NDP? We all saw those big advertisements you were running bashing the BC Place roof. I mean, they were right there. They were on Facebook and on the Vs board... I'm pretty sure everybody in the known universe has seen them at some point. To say nothing of interviews, press conferences, media reports...

So... yeah. If you're gonna lie, I think that doing such a crappy job shows a distinct lack of initiative.

quote:Originally posted by spiral

I don't trust what they're saying

Spiral .. your right not to trust .. they are lying to you .. normal left wing rhetoric, they will pull funding as fast as you can say Taliban Jack.

Spiral you take a lot of flack from the BC boys.. dont back done call a spade a spade, keep up the flow of information.

PS Richard nice to see you dont agree with the corupt list systems, if BC adopts it they can kiss any decisions good bye .. you think it was hard to get stadium downtown .. hell you wont get anyone to decide anything .. you will have ethnic parties and no one will be able to put humpty dumpty together again.

Bob Lenarduzzi confirmed yesterday, that the NDP won't tear up the contract for the roof, and that IF the NDP were elected, they'd work with the club to make sure the roof was built as planned at the most cost effective price.

The NDP has also promised to build 100 new soccer fields. I would like to congratulate everyone on this board who took the time to take part in that NDP poll...because apparently, the backlash from the soccer community was overwhelming, and has turned the issue! That's democracy...

Archived