BC NDP may reconsider BC Place roof

masster

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two more things about the fast ferries:

1. The new convention centre provides a marvellous view of one of the fast ferries on its moorings at the foot of Londsdale.

2. In a little know fact, they continue to cost BC taxpayers money due to the ongoing litigation saga which the BC government is involved in with suppliers / contractors involved in the construction of the ferries.

Regarding BC Place, I for one would like to see whether the NDP has a plan (I suspect they don't) for exploring alternatives, and if they have such a plan, how that plan is better than the current plan (I suspect it won't be). I suspect that this will be another case of the NDP being against everything, with no concrete, credible, viable solution for anything.

Here's the NDP's latest Press Release on the Stadium. Total crapp!:

February 26, 2009

REALITY CHECK - The Truth Behind Gordon Campbell’s B.C. Place Roof Fiasco

News Release |

Feeling heat for their misplaced priorities, the Campbell Liberals are trying to spread misleading information about the B.C. Place roof.

Here are the facts:

• In May 2006, the Campbell government brushed off warnings that it needed to move quickly on replacing the roof, saying “the roof is expected to last another 15 or 20 years" (Olga Ilich, Hansard, May 1, 2006).

• A June 2006 report clearly told the Campbell government that the stadium needed structural improvements, but the B.C. Liberals refused to take action. And they’ve refused to make the report’s details public.

• In January 2007 the roof collapsed.

• By March 2008, the Campbell government was forced to admit that the roof would need to be replaced, saying “There is a maximum of about four years before we have to replace it. So what we are endeavouring to do is to replace it before the Games” (David Podmore, Vancouver Sun, Mar. 6, 2008).

• By the time the B.C. Liberal government eventually announced a plan to replace the roof in January 2009, costs had exploded. But despite plummeting government revenues, Gordon Campbell went with a fully-loaded, retractable roof, rather than a more affordable design.

So the real question is: after stalling for years while costs skyrocketed, why is Gordon Campbell pushing forward with a pricey $365 million plan while families across the province are struggling to make ends meet? At times like these, why choose a Lamborghini when a Honda will do just fine?

April 4, 2009

NDP will Axe Jobs, Investment and Opportunities at BC Place

http://www.governmentcaucus.bc.ca/EN/recent_news/ndp_will_axe_jobs,_investment_and_opportunities_at_bc_place/?&PHPSESSID=03034623b9a1decc809850357b8e8617

VANCOUVER – The NDP’s reckless plan to cancel renovations to B.C. Place threatens millions in economic activity and thousands of jobs, while breaking faith with our sports community, says Finance Minister Colin Hansen.

“The upgrades to B.C. Place played a key role in being granted the 2011 Grey Cup and a brand-new Major League Soccer club,” says Hansen. “There are 300 people working on the site right now, another 2,000 jobs to come, savings of $350,000 annually in energy costs and $100 million in economic activity. At a time when every job counts, it makes no sense to reject repairs that will protect the existing jobs at BC Place and create new ones. It’s clear Carole James and the NDP have no real plan for the economy and creating jobs.”

Hansen notes as recently as 2008 the NDP supported the renovations and demanded they be completed before the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. However, as they have become more desperate to justify their excessive spending plans in the face of voter scrutiny they have flipped on that position. Now the NDP say the renovations to BC Place, which includes a retractable roof, new seating, concessions, washrooms, hospitality areas, field surface and improved access for persons with disabilities, would be cancelled if they are elected.

This follows comments from NDP MLA Adrian Dix on Shaw’s Voice of BC on March 26, who said “a retractable roof wouldn't be high on the priority list” for the NDP. This follows an extensive attack advertising campaign by the NDP clearly inferring they would not invest in the refurbishment if elected.

“The NDP are recklessly and arbitrarily singling out projects that can create jobs in these difficult economic times and promote tourism and sport in our community,” says Hansen, “We can only conclude that they oppose these jobs and they oppose the economic benefits that come from investing in B.C.’s infrastructure. If this is their vision for our economy, then every British Columbian should be concerned.”

Hansen also notes the decision to cancel the project would mean that Vancouver would no longer be a location for either the 2011 Grey Cup or a Major League Soccer franchise for the Vancouver Whitecaps that was announced several weeks ago.

“The Grey Cup brings $76 million in economic activity while thrilling our football fans. The new Whitecaps team is expected to generate $25 million a year in economic activity, attracting some of the biggest names in international soccer to Vancouver while inspiring the more than 500,000 people who play and support soccer in our province. And the NDP are telling those families that they will not let that happen,” says Hansen. “We believe in British Columbia and that’s why we’re investing in projects that create jobs, economic activity and new opportunities for our sports community.”

http://www.governmentcaucus.bc.ca/EN/recent_news/ndp_will_axe_jobs,_investment_and_opportunities_at_bc_place/?&PHPSESSID=03034623b9a1decc809850357b8e8617

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

I would be shocked if somebody as rich and with varying business interests like Mr Kerfoot didn't contribute a substantial sum to both major parties.

Well its pretty clear he didn't bribe vancouver city hall, like everyone else seemed to have done, because the Waterfront Stadium isn't done.

So lets get this straight? The NDP is slagging off the Liberals for not replacing the roof earlier. And there solution is to cancel the upgrades now?

And "while costs skyrocketed"? World wide costs of labor, steel and concrete have taken a massive dive. Prices have gone down if anything.

This is just it, the NDP do this all the time in BC, and to be fair so do the Liberals.

hansen could have simply said: "We can only conclude the NDP are focussed on a red herring to creat havoc with voters minds and are using this investment in our community as a ploy" instead he says: "“We can only conclude that they oppose these jobs and they oppose the economic benefits that come from investing in B.C.’s infrastructure. If this is their vision for our economy, then every British Columbian should be concerned.”" .. which is putting words in their mouths.

At the end of the Day we all know the NDP is using this a strobe light to generate attention. We all the job creation is welcomed by all parties and voters, that investment in our sports and culture is a thing welcomed by all.

politicians should all be hung and quartered.

http://www.bcndp.ca/files/u108/2009_BC_NDP_Platform.pdf

Page 27 is the only place I have seen BC Place mentioned, again: NO SOLUTION PROPOSED, ONLY RHETORIC DAMING THE LIBS AND CAMPBELL FOR SPENDING THE MONEY WHEN IT COULD HAVE GONE ELSEWHERE.

No moneys are allocated in their fiscal overview, no solutions or alternatives to what they tar and feather the Liberals over are offered.

What a joke.

this document holds nothing of value in my eyes (BC Place and other issues near and dear to my heart aside) It is more slam-the-libs-and-gordo rhetoric.

They wax eloquently on investing in infrastructure and being green etc...but nothing concrete...

^ But some damage has already been done amongst the uninformed or borderline electorate by their assertions. Classic dishonest political mindgames, the Harper conservatives are expert at it and so is Gordon Campbell (a closet Harper style conservative if ever there was one). Make wild public assertions or declarations that you know are wrong, misleading or cannot be substantiated. They get plenty of play in the media, make the desired impresssion on the unwashed masses whose attention span doesn't extend beyond the 30 second sound bite then move on to something else before the dust settles.

What also has to be taken into consideration is that almost everyone posting here is from Vancouver. I think you have to look at this from an outside perspective. The liberal government has focused completely on Vancouver, and has largely ignored the rest of the province. By attacking BC Place, the NDP is siding itself with a lot of people from outside the lower mainland, that were very unhappy when it was announced that Vancouver was yet again getting another project before them.

People here have pointed out the fast ferry fiasco. If you ask me, the ferries are a much bigger mess now. Mostly because they have been 'privatized'. Before when it was a crown corporation BC ferries was allowed to look at the bigger picture, now it only looks at itself. Now BC ferries does what they think is best for themselves, even if that kills coastal communities. The company itself is pissing away money on things like sponsoring the Canucks, which gets their managers 'free tickets'. Here in Victoria, in a 'cost saving measure', they are selling their old office building for something like $9m, to move into this posh new building they are construing down the street from me with a rent of $5m a year. On top of that they prepaid for the first 5 years (although it is rumored to now be 10 years), and are paying Vancouver rates, in Victoria (for comparison, In my brand new waterfront A++ office we are paying $10 less per square foot then what BC ferries is set to pay). Then there is these new German ferries that do to high fuel consumption, noisy operations and massive wake are not being used. BC ferries are in a big downward spiral, their ridership keeps going down so they keep raising their rates to make up for it, can only do that for so long until it all collapses.

The sad thing is after all that, and even without the stadium issue, I still wouldn't vote NDP.

Yeah I was in BC (Vancouver) the other week for the first time, and was surprised at how expensive the rates were for a car. Considering how necessary the ferries likely are to coastal communities, I would have figured they'd be cheaper (or subsidized.) The ferries in eastern Ontario are largely free (although small potatoes compared to BC, admitedly.)

You'd think James would hammer the Stadium issue today, but not a peep.

Man I was walking around BC Place yesterday before Britney's smoke meltdown; the concourses are really getting ripped up, new washroom signs, new flooring, new tiling and painting, new outdoor signs, cranes taking equipment up to the roof ring, some upper deck seats have been removed

BC Place may end up looking better than GM Place with no chance of a Britney Spears smoke meltdown

Yeah, well privatising public assets is a typical Gordon Campbell strategy - see my reference above to him and his acolytes being closet Harper style conservatives. If he can't do it formally he does it by stealth through management restructuring which is what he's done with BC Ferries and the 'leasing' of BC Rail for 99 years. What a farce that was. Watch for Translink to go the same way, it already has to a large extent with the change in governance Campbell forced upon us. I am no supporter of the NDP but there is no way in hell I would vote for the BC Liberals under Gordon Campbell either. Rather vote for an independent or spoil my ballot in protest.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

What also has to be taken into consideration is that almost everyone posting here is from Vancouver. I think you have to look at this from an outside perspective. The liberal government has focused completely on Vancouver, and has largely ignored the rest of the province. By attacking BC Place, the NDP is siding itself with a lot of people from outside the lower mainland, that were very unhappy when it was announced that Vancouver was yet again getting another project before them.

But there have been many projects announced, completed, or in the process elsewhere. The liberals helped with money for the new arena in Penticton, annoucements have been made for funding for major upgrades to high schools in Vernon and Oliver. Kelowna got a new bridge, just days ago they announced a new highway interchange for near Kelowna, and they are unnecesarily upgraded the highway from Summerland to Peachland.

I think if people are mad that Vancouver is getting too many projects compared to the rest of the province then they are misinformed.

Had a look and it's pretty obvious that they've toned down the rhetoric on BC Place over the last week. However, I'll be interested to hear if Carole James gives a clear answer on BC Place when she appears on Shaw TV's "Voice of BC" with Vaughn Palmer tonight at 8:00 PM (replays on Sunday throughout the province as well). She's also appearing on CKNW on The Bill Good Show Monday morning (sometime between 8:30AM and Noon), But it's clear that the public backlash has had an effect.

In the platform, it's clear they want to focus this as a rural community vs. big city issue. Beyond the direct reference mentioned on P.27, there's also a box at the bottom of page 11 under "Rural BC Matters":

Supporting your community recreational facilities

For years, Gordon Campbell’s focus has been on a few mega-projects. Meanwhile, he’s ignored

the need for construction or renewal of a lot of local recreational facilities.

Carole James and the NDP are commited to major capital investments that would support

community proposals for new and upgraded recreational facilities. This initiative will support

new jobs, and teach generations of kids and adults who will enjoy activites like soccer, skating

and ice hockey. It’s time everybody got a fair chance for expanded recreational facilities.

It looks like it was hastily added, as the NDP has been largely silent on provincial policies regarding sport over the last 8 years. It also appears to be the only item in the platform that hasn't been costed out. It's a motherhood statement.

So, by and large, I'm hoping that at best, they're backing away from the issue, or at the very least, the public reaction has neutered the NDP's effectiveness of dragging BC Place into the election campaign.

That being said, I'm still going to press the NDP to drop the ads. And any candidate who tries to drag it up again is going to get an earful.

^

Pls ask them how do they expect to renew local rec facilities when the facilities & land is owned by the cities. Oh, wait second the liberals did that w/ the Olympics facilities.

Listened to Ms James on CKNW this afternoon. Really scary w/ the political talk & no rational!!! Like there past performance BC will go into major debt under the NDP as per normal....ugly!!!

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

^

Pls ask them how do they expect to renew local rec facilities when the facilities & land is owned by the cities. Oh, wait second the liberals did that w/ the Olympics facilities.

Listened to Ms James on CKNW this afternoon. Really scary w/ the political talk & no rational!!! Like there past performance BC will go into major debt under the NDP as per normal....ugly!!!

When the Olympics are over and the final price tags are revealed we are going to be in major debt for a long while, so I'm not optimistic about the situation regardless of which party is in power.

Archived