BC NDP may reconsider BC Place roof

masster

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Post #8 from top of page.

The NDP represent scum, low-lifeness, villainy, laziness, put people on welfare, have leaders such as Jack Layton who scams the rental system of co-ops than blast Paul Martin for privatizing health care when he himself attended a private clinic.

I can't stand these low-life communist roaches.

This isn't a debate. You do what you wish.

Hey!!! Isn't the truth...It wasn't me who attended a private clinic.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be possible for the voyageurs to switch to a board that allows for the 'ignore' option? I generally use the boards for information purposes and it gets real tiresome sifting through the nonsense that certain posters ...post.

While putting $365 million of tax payer’s money seems steep, the benefits outweigh the costs. This money is a loan by the government, so the money (in theory) should be paid back with revenue from condo development. While I think this scheme will probably not work at least the cost of it will not be the estimated $365 million.

A city like Vancouver needs a stadium the size of BC place to be considered a major city. A renovation could do wonders for that stadium if properly managed and make it a money making arena. The Whitecaps getting into the MLS is contingent on the stadium renovation so I don’t understand why the BC NDP wants to hinder the development. I know they would rather spend the money on social programs, but why hinder the development of a community minded organization like the Whitecaps? Polluters, big business and oil companies I could understand and perhaps sympathize but not the Whitecaps. I know they are using the Olympics to justify their position but people ought to know more than just the Olympics will benefit from the BC Place renovation.

Libby Davis, Vancouver NDP MP, since she was elected has been against the waterfront stadium. What could be worse than a free stadium at the hub of transit in Vancouver that will be used for community uses as well? My assumption is she doesn’t want a revitalization of her riding to push most of her constituents out. So we have the federal NDP against the waterfront stadium, and the provincial NDP against the BC Place renovation.

Instead they rather invest in forestry jobs? I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t bet on the horse a missing leg in a race. With unsustainable cuts and environmental pressures there is simply not enough wood available. Many friends of mine work in the forest industry, but the sad fact is the forest industry is dying everywhere in Canada. I don’t want my government to throw money away on jobs that won’t come back, its just pandering to the people who lost their jobs. So that’s my sort of intelligent argument against the NDP for today

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

^Luis, I didn't insult your political views, per se. I pointed out that you present yourself as an ignorant blowhard who lacks the ability to present a reasoned argument. I stand by what I posted.

Listen you moron...The only idiot on this forum who doesn't make any sense is you and your NDP buddies...So I'm going to wish you all the luck in the world in your pathetic welfare life. Get yourself a life and real job rather than living off welfare. By the way, I can't wait to see the headlines: "GARRY CAMPBELL SWEEPS BC AS HE TRASHES THE NDP IN THE GARBAGE."

By the way are you Evil Burt????

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Listen you moron...The only idiot on this forum who doesn't make any sense is you and your NDP buddies...So I'm going to wish you all the luck in the world in your pathetic welfare life. Get yourself a life and real job rather than living off welfare. By the way, I can't wait to see the headlines: "GARRY CAMPBELL SWEEPS BC AS HE TRASHES THE NDP IN THE GARBAGE."

By the way are you Evil Burt????

<mod>

Well. It was a nice try, Luis. But then Dale Mitchel also gave it a nice try.

Shame there. You almost made it.

Cheeta

</mod>

When is the next election in BC??? BCers must realise that the NDP are like roaches that crawl in people's toilets. I hate them so bad.

The next election has, for all intents and purposes, already begun. We are now on "fixed-date" elections.

What you, and others I think, have to realize is that in BC there are only two parties. The conservative party (for bizarre historical reasons called the Liberal Party) and the progressive party (the NDP).

There is no centre-of-the-road party that reasonable, fiscally conservative but socially progressive citizens can support.

I would be gutted if the NDP screwed the Whitecaps but at the same time four more years of Campbell's crew makes me nauseous. It is NOT an easy decision and using words like "roaches" to describe people is what they do in places like Rwanda. :(

For what it's worth, people should be aware that they are not just replacing the roof for the fun of it, and certainly not for the Whitecaps.

BC Place consumes massive amounts of power to keep the roof pressurized and the building heated. The roof is incredibly inefficient energy-wise, it's long past its expiry date and it is vulnerable to tears & collapse as we saw last year.

The new roof is expected to cut energy costs by something like 40%, maybe higher. It supposedly pays for itself via the energy savings in 20 years.

And yes, important to remember that despite the NDP ad claims this is not general tax dollars going into the project. This is PavCo's own revenues from facility rentals, plus the development of adjacent lands. By law, PavCo isn't allowed to spend its money on anything but its properties.

When the NDP suggest the money is "better spent elsewhere," it's a complete crock. It CAN'T be spent elsewhere.

Friends Of Soccer Objects to NDP Anti-Soccer Stadium Ads

On Wednesday, April 1, the BC New Democratic Party ran a series of internet ads on several soccer-related websites condemning the renovation of BC Place, and falsely suggesting that the cost of the renovation is coming at the expense of healthcare and the homeless. We at Friends of Soccer find these ads extremely misleading and innapropriate. We call on the NDP to immediately back away from this irresponsible threat to the future of soccer in our province.

The claim in the ad that BC citizens must choose between a soccer-friendly stadium and social services is both false and offensive. The NDP is well aware that the BC Place renovations are to be financed by the future sale and development of the lands surrounding the stadium, along with future sponsorship funds surrounding naming rights. Neither source is drawn from the general revenue tax base that fund social programs. To suggest otherwise is alarmist to say the least.

The NDP is also aware that the BC Place renovations are crucial to the development of soccer in the province. Only two weeks ago, Vancouver was awarded a Major League Soccer team for 2011. The BC Place renovations promised by the current provincial government were overwhelmingly the deciding factor in the bid process. The threat made by Carole James to revoke the renovations could place the future of professional soccer in BC in doubt, and has the potential to choke soccer projects being undertaken in other parts of BC as well.

Carole James should also recognize that BC Place is a major economic engine for the citizens of BC. Every event held there pumps millions of dollars into the BC Tourism, Hospitality and Retail industries. It is BC's largest trade and exposition centre, hosting over 200 events every year. And it is also home to the BC Lions, a football team loved by people throughout the province. Without these renovations, it is unlikely British Columbia would be hosting the Grey Cup game in 2011. The global exposure this facility provides for BC is unsurpassed.

As citizens, we expect governments to be able to address a host of issues. We expect our governments to provide sustainable healthcare, while still encouraging economic growth in our cities and towns. We expect our governments to help those who are downtrodden, but we also insist that governments allow its working citizens the freedom to build a good quality of life for their families. To say we must choose between these priorities is a false choice, and any party who forces that choice is not capable of governing this province.

Friends of Soccer has always been, and continues to be, a non-partisan grassroots movement. We have always supported the efforts of those who help the game in BC, and we've fiercely opposed those who threaten the development of soccer in our province. I'm pleased to say that we've done this regardless of party affiliation. But in this election campaign, we cannot allow the future of soccer in BC to be once again cast into doubt for cheap political gain.

It is now up the BC New Democratic Party to make a clear statement committing their party to the BC Place renovations without modification of the current plans or budget.

Otherwise, they can be certain that we will not stand idly by in this election campaign.

http://friendsofsoccer.blogspot.com/2009/04/friends-of-soccer-objects-to-ndp-anti.html

"BC Place needs a new roof -- but we say it can be done more economically, leaving resources for other priorities." [:0]

Yes, from the above, I can see the source of all the rage...Because in Saskatchewan "BC Place needs a new roof" always means great off soccer fans, no roof for you! Instead, we're gonna take your hard earned taxes and use them to feed the habit of dope fiends.

Guest Jeffery S.

This got me incensed.

I wrote Carole James a strong letter asking her why the NDP is no longer interested in defending the basic principles of social democracy. Especially in a time when we are immersed in a world wide economic disaster provoked by neo-liberal policies and ideologically dogmatic conservatives in the US and other nations. Why isn't the NDP trying to demonstrate that they do have an alternative, that they do have something to say about the present moment, instead of going for cheap shots that have no basis in reality.

I wrote James as a former BC party member and active campaigner in the 80s, and convinced social democrat. The poll and their comments on her blog are insulting to the intelligence of anyone concerned with reality, and that is what I told her. Pure demogogic appeal to unreason, corny populism, and a deliberate attempt to create an issue against the interest of many of their own voters, who are not in favour of overthrowing liberal capitalism. Just finding a way to ensure it acts responsibly and in a way that can be reasonably sustained. A moderate centre left option has a great role to play in Canada, as it does in all democratic nations. But it is obvious that the leadership of the BC NDP is not up to the task.

Too bad, because BC could really use a decent option to the premier we have now.

P.S. Cheeta, Luis was way over the top, and having stated my political views you can imagine what I think about his discourse. If I had to worry about every Canada fan's political views I would never cheer alongside anyone.

But Luis is right in that once again you are being arbitrary, capricious and are showing absolutely no interest in being even-handed. You are showing favourites. You yourself have argued--to me, before hacking one of my posts, and to others--that a general insult to noone in particular cannot be compared to a specific insult to a board member, and now you are defending the exact opposite position.

Please stop faking moderating immediately and let someone less cynical than yourself do it. You have completely lost it.

Guys, let's relax a little. The NDP will not win the May 12 election in the province of BC. Thanx God!!! According to the latest polls in BC, this is what the results demonstrate: Liberal 46%, NDP 35% and Green 15%, with 5% undecided.

In fact, these polls have not changed in nearly a year, even though Premiere Garry Campbell was not too popular back in September and November of 2008 with the polls showing that he was tied at 40% with the NDP. Nevertheless, after the Xmas break that all changed when Campbell went up in the polls with a comfortable lead over his opponents. Therefore, it appears that Campbell is expected to win the provincial election. The biggest friend that Campbell has right now is the Green party who is now taking huge votes from the NDP. So Spiral you can now come-out hiding underneath your bed because the boogie man is now gone.

http://www.nodice.ca/elections/britishcolumbia/polls.php

Guys, let's relax a little. The NDP will not win the May 12 election in the province of BC. Thanx God!!! According to the latest polls in BC, this is what the results demonstrate: Liberal 46%, NDP 35% and Green 15%, with 5% undecided.

In fact, these polls have not changed in nearly a year, even though Premiere Garry Campbell was not too popular back in September and November of 2008 with the polls showing that he was tied at 40% with the NDP. Nevertheless, after the Xmas break that all changed when Campbell went up in the polls with a comfortable lead over his opponents. Therefore, it appears that Campbell is expected to win the provincial election. The biggest friend that Campbell has right now is the Green party who is now taking huge votes from the NDP. So Spiral you can now come-out hiding underneath your bed because the boogie man is now gone.

What province is Garry Campbell Premiere of? I know there is some guy named Gordon Campbell who is Premier in B.C.

Opinion polls are merely a snapshot in time.

Here's a good take on this issue from the local political site City Caucus:

"Is Vancouver's MLS Soccer threatened by the provincial opposition?"

"Clearly soccer fans have reason for some trepidation. The polls show that with a good bounce the NDP are within reach of forming government. If Carole James is Premier, there's a good chance that pro soccer fans in Metro Vancouver will have to tough it out for a few more years at Swangard Stadium."

http://www.citycaucus.com/2009/04/is-vancouvers-mls-soccer-at-threat-from-provincial-opposition#more

Archived