TFC v. Columbus: Game Analysis

ottawaguy2009

I only turned the game on in the 2nd half, but here is what I saw:

Brennan - very consistent. Always kept his ball, made his passes. Played some long balls and short balls, mixing it up as the situation required. His aim was dead on. He needed better side support.

Dichio - Loved by all the fans and an all around Toronto-loving good guy, I hate to beat up on him. But he hardly makes a dent in the game. He's a one touch player who simply plays the ball off on every shot. Nothing wrong with that except when he's put up front to hold the ball he should chest it down and hold onto it Guevara style. Maybe he can turn and shoot or send a little backheel pass Blanco style deeper into the 18 for Vitti to get a foot on. He does not seem to be all that good of a player.

Vitti - Ispoke to soon on this player. He's a pest for the opposing goalkeeper, and ties up a defender as well, on corner kicks and throws into the 18. But while he has decent ball control he failed to make any stellar, game changing passes. His passes were often to a Columbus player or to a player outside of the flow of play. He did not impress me whatsoever. In fact, given his small size, and given the height of the Columbus defense, he should have been played as a centre-mid, positioned outside the 18, or as a winger so that he would have some space.

Wynne - This fine player needs to have more confidence in himself. When he gets that ball on the right side up over half, and TFC is down 1-0 and there's 15 minutes left to play, he needs to carry that ball in. He blew by two Columbus defenders but then passed it off to Dichio who of course one touched it off and the play was over. He should have pushed his way through all the way to the 18 and then either dropped the ball back to De Ro for a shot or had a shot himself. He could also put it across the face of the net with the hopes of Vitti getting a foot or a head on it.

Carver - There was 0 chemistry up front today. The defence was solid. Sutton was solid. But the forwards did not work well together. It was patchy, choppy play. It was not fluid and flowing like that of Columbus' offence. Vitti is small and was easily shouldered aside. He had no way to get a head on those incoming Velez throws or corners. Ricketts actually should have been left on in my opinion but perhaps moved more to the centre. He is weak on the flank but strong in the centre. De Ro should have been moved up. He has the size and the ability to hold the ball (as Dichio should have done) and can get a shot off as well. Carver needs to look at the chemistry of the TFC offence a little better. They weren't working well together.

De Ro - His shots are constantly flying over the bar. He had three nice chances to lay a nice ball in or on the net in the 2nd half and each and every time he made it look as though he was going for a field goal. He needs to get his shot down. (recall: PK v. Kansas City).

Serioux - Played well but missed getting his head on some dangerous balls. Controlled his emotions, did not draw a card (as far as I know, I only watched the 2nd half). Needs to play more balls to the midfield rather than to the 18 as his lobs were consistently being sent back by Columbus defenders.

Sutton - Solid.

Velez - Good game. Would have liked to see him in the box instead of taking some of those throws/corners. Has a good header. Could have got a goal or at least an assist of a nice corner header.

We got lucky this game. Gracias Senor Padula...

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Enjoyed Carver shushing the Columbus fans.

What's with GolTV cutting away from the live play (and a goal) to show the smoke bomb in a bucket? I suppose it's nice that they acknowledge the efforts of the Toronto supporters (unlike Sportsnet), but show the live action, FFS!

....and stop with that play by play guy referring to Toronto as Toronto FC each frigging time he says their name. He wasn't calling Columbus "Columbus Crew" each time when mentioning them.

I had to turn the sound down.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Enjoyed Carver shushing the Columbus fans.

What's with GolTV cutting away from the live play (and a goal) to show the smoke bomb in a bucket? I suppose it's nice that they acknowledge the efforts of the Toronto supporters (unlike Sportsnet), but show the live action, FFS!

It was actually the Columbus feed they were using & they are the idiots that did that. Nice to see Gol TV dropped the full screen graphics in the middle of play though.

Wow, haven't posted anything here since our WCQ debacle (the most recent one, that is.)

Anyhow, I'm going to disagree with ottawaguy2009 on the Dichio assessment in so much as want Danny brings to game like today's is exactly what we needed. Marshall is a monster out there, and we actually got balls down at our feet in their half of the field because Danny was able to knock down--head, chest, whatever--long balls out of the back. Barrett did nothing today. i would have played Vitti and Dichio together. We got nothing of the ball in their half until Dichio came on and essentially neutralized Marshall. dichio has no speed at all, i know, but he big and strong and smart and can create space for TO's smaller players.

Sutton was very good, as was Frei on that terrific save.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Wow, haven't posted anything here since our WCQ debacle (the most recent one, that is.)

Anyhow, I'm going to disagree with ottawaguy2009 on the Dichio assessment in so much as want Danny brings to game like today's is exactly what we needed. Marshall is a monster out there, and we actually got balls down at our feet in their half of the field because Danny was able to knock down--head, chest, whatever--long balls out of the back. Barrett did nothing today. i would have played Vitti and Dichio together. We got nothing of the ball in their half until Dichio came on and essentially neutralized Marshall. dichio has no speed at all, i know, but he big and strong and smart and can create space for TO's smaller players.

"We"?

"We"?

They all played very well and Dwayne must have run 12 km or more.The only player that was not up to it I thought was Smith.No creativity and predictable runs.Sutton was a tower in height and strenght,Dichio did what he was suppose to do and Serioux was a key defender with some great skills.We just need more creativity on this team and we will be dynamite.

Those fans and mostly RPB were totally amazing and I am beginning to feel like a little one only,you guys are so surreal and the fun they show is even bigger.Must have been some trip and kuddos,the media is starting to notice and wait for the home opener.They ain't seen nothing yet.

This is a brand new experience in the Toronto sporting scene and one that will ensure we are a main sport if not already THE MAIN sport in Toronto.

Schelotto that cheeky devil...

"He [schelotto] is a talented midfielder with great ability who just plays the game very well," said Toronto FC coach John Carver. "We had a little bit of bon-thai going on during the match when he went down after a foul in our end, he just came over to the sideline and gave me a little wink. He is a clever professional and knows how to play the game and knows what to do with the ball in pressure situations."

source: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090328&content_id=231964&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Barrett has been a little disappointing however I figure after a couple more games (if Carver starts him) he'll find his stride. I imagine he'll net about 3 goals this season. (Which is not much for a striker).

It's a shame Brennan isn't played up front sometimes. What Carver could have done is put one of the Gambian defenders in and moved Brennan up front. I like Brennan's playing style as it's similar to my own. The thing is that he probably needs that running start that he gets from the back to perform the plays that he does. You'll notice all of Brennan's forward plays are fast. They move at one speed and don't get hung up. It's forward forward forward and then a shot and it's either in or it's wide/over. I like this. He adds punch to that left side.

As for DD I don't know what to say. I don't think his fitness is very good. He doesn't have a lot of moves. I like players like Guevara, Brennan, etc. who can carry the ball and then lay it off or have a shot. If you think back to his 5 goals last season (quite impressive, he seems to get lucky) they were all one hit wonders. Volleys, headers, etc. There's nothing wrong with that if you have three midfielders who like feeding in nice lobs to the 18. However, in yesterday's game it was really only De Ro who was capable of doing this. Dichio is simply a moving one/two touch post up there and if all the guys around him are playing a game with lots of passing and forward running he doesn't fit in.

Archived