Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sorry about the caps. I want to emphasize RUMOUR. I heard this a few days ago but didn't really think much of it until this very moment.

Let me first point out that I am in no way a journalist, nor have I done any homework beyond what I can now share:

I have a friend in Italy whose wife's parents live in Montreal. His father-in-law was an equipment manager for Mantova, a smaller Italian club that has had some small success here and there (from what I've just read on wiki :D).

This friend told me that his wife's parents had Dino Zoff in their home in Montreal recently for dinner. Apparently Zoff played for Mantova and became friends with this equipment manager back in the day. He said that he was in Canada to pursue some "coaching opportunities." He also insinuated that he would be spending significantly more time in Canada.

My friend knows zero about Canada soccer and his father-in-law did not obtain any specifics (I reconfirmed these points via email an hour or so ago). He only told me this story in the context of one football fan to another and, as I understand it, Zoff is a big deal in Italy -though primarily as a player. I just assumed he would be working at one of these private academies or something. However, given Mitchell has been fired today, I thought I'd share with the board.

I take no responsibility for the reliability of this information, whatsoever. [:P]

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's funny. I was visiting my(Italian)parents this afternoon and when I told my dad that Mitchell had been fired.He said that Canada should get an Italian coach just like the Canadian ladies did.

Well if it's a marquee Euro coach that our players want then I'm sure they'd be happy with Zoff.

Let's just file this under too good to be true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, he just spends his time making guest appearance on Domenica Sportiva and other weekly soccer shows that cover all the games in Italy.

If that is true, I am gonna go celebrate tonight! I loved Zoff as coach for Italy when they went to the Final of Euro 2000...the only reason he resigned from the post is because Lippi (current Italy coach) and others called it a disgrace to lose that way in a Final (France Scored with like 30 seconds left)

I HOPE THIS IS TRUE! But I was always taught..."If it sounds to goo to be true...it usually is"

:(

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

That's funny. I was visiting my(Italian)parents this afternoon and when I told my dad that Mitchell had been fired.He said that Canada should get an Italian coach just like the Canadian ladies did.

Well if it's a marquee Euro coach that our players want then I'm sure they'd be happy with Zoff.

Let's just file this under too good to be true.

What's even funnier is that my Italian dad also suggested tonight that Morace would have a hand in convincing an Italian to coach the men's team...now the rumour must be true!

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Sorry about the caps. I want to emphasize RUMOUR. I heard this a few days ago but didn't really think much of it until this very moment.

Let me first point out that I am in no way a journalist, nor have I done any homework beyond what I can now share:

I have a friend in Italy whose wife's parents live in Montreal. His father-in-law was an equipment manager for Mantova, a smaller Italian club that has had some small success here and there (from what I've just read on wiki :D).

This friend told me that his wife's parents had Dino Zoff in their home in Montreal recently for dinner. Apparently Zoff played for Mantova and became friends with this equipment manager back in the day. He said that he was in Canada to pursue some "coaching opportunities." He also insinuated that he would be spending significantly more time in Canada.

My friend knows zero about Canada soccer and his father-in-law did not obtain any specifics (I reconfirmed these points via email an hour or so ago). He only told me this story in the context of one football fan to another and, as I understand it, Zoff is a big deal in Italy -though primarily as a player. I just assumed he would be working at one of these private academies or something. However, given Mitchell has been fired today, I thought I'd share with the board.

I take no responsibility for the reliability of this information, whatsoever. [:P]

Good scoop! thanks for sharing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

He only told me this story in the context of one football fan to another and, as I understand it, Zoff is a big deal in Italy -though primarily as a player.

Well he was a pretty high profile coach too - most notably at the club level with Lazio but he also led Italy to the Euro 2000 final - before resigning due to criticism from AC Milan's owner for Italy's loss to France in extra-time being all his fault apparently (the unjustified added time by the Ref in the 2nd half which gave France the time to equalize & Del Piero missing two sitters that would have put the game away just prior to that apparently had nothing to do with it).

If this were to actually happen it would be well-beyond my expectations. Zoff had a great "matter-of-fact" way of explaining to players complaining to the media that they weren't called to the national team (a namesake of mine being one example I remember) - he would just say "If I don't call you it's because I don't need you" and left it at that. He basically players like it was an honour to play for a national team rather than some divine right, and I can't help but think we could use a bit of that right now with some players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking "crazy rumour" and "too good to be true", but........PLEASE!!!!!

I like what he did with Italy in 2000, and being manager at Lazio is pretty impressive on a résumé. Also, in Canada's case, there's something to be said of credibility, in addition to actual ability, going a long way. Of course every manager has to have the ability to get the players to play for him as well as effective systems and other management skills, but someone like Zoff has the experience to get players motivated just by who he is.

Any tiny bit of credibility, something lacking with CSA from the top on down, goes a long way in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by finchster

Well we will never get a top tier manager (Unless some rich fan will pay for it :) ) a guy like this would be the best we could hope for. Experince at club and international play, and maybe someone with something left to prove

Zoff has coached Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and Italy and won a UEFA Cup and finished 2nd in the Euro in the process. What exactly do you consider a top tier manager? I would be surprised (though overjoyed) if this is true but we have never had a manager anywhere close to this guy as far as qualifications and experience are concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Juventus are to open a training center in Montreal. He might be coming to represent them, but who knows. One thing is for sure, he can't do worse then the lot of Anglo Saxon managers, who knew nothing about total football, and preferred the English tradition of "kick and chase".

Much like in England, where the english needed a foreigner to right their ship, Canada could benefit from the influx of new ideas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Zoff has coached Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and Italy and won a UEFA Cup and finished 2nd in the Euro in the process. What exactly do you consider a top tier manager? I would be surprised (though overjoyed) if this is true but we have never had a manager anywhere close to this guy as far as qualifications and experience are concerned.

I agree with you totall Griz....what does a guy need to do to be considered a top manager? Leap tall buildings in a single bound? C'mon folks....Zoff is the real deal.

having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.

Morace is opening eyes at the CSA. her 100% commitment to winning starting to change some attitudes. I have no doubt that she would be asked for an opinion, especially if they were to consider an Italian or European manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Zoff has coached Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and Italy and won a UEFA Cup and finished 2nd in the Euro in the process. What exactly do you consider a top tier manager? I would be surprised (though overjoyed) if this is true but we have never had a manager anywhere close to this guy as far as qualifications and experience are concerned.

I understand but I meant he got fired for some poor reasons at some of the managerial positions he held and he hasn’t coached in a while. Why hasn’t he coached? Maybe no one of significance inquired? Maybe Italian teams think he is too old now.

There are only two reasons why he would coach a country like Canada, money or feels he has something left to prove. Since the CSA is poorer than the guys at the Salvation Army I imagine he wants to prove something by turning Canada into a winner. Someone with a big ego might look at Canada and say all the pieces are there I can do it. Why would any manager of his age want to do that? He feels like he has something left to prove ;).

Since this is all rumor anyway it's just fun speculation on my part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I agree with you totall Griz....what does a guy need to do to be considered a top manager? Leap tall buildings in a single bound? C'mon folks....Zoff is the real deal.

having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.

Morace is opening eyes at the CSA. her 100% commitment to winning starting to change some attitudes. I have no doubt that she would be asked for an opinion, especially if they were to consider an Italian or European manager.

I agree. Everybody knows off Dino Zoff, at least old farts like me. The guy probably would like to spend time in Canada and should be able to do wonders with our boys. Besides, how can we go wrong with somebody whose name is Dino (like VPjr)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the most important thing is for our players to have CONFIDENCE

Bring in Pele to coach who cares... just someone that the players will feel comfortable with, someone who has experience playing or coaching. Mitchell didn't give the players confidence as a former north american canadian star that just isn't enough. Years from now if Julian De Guzman is hired as coach I believe the team will be confident on the pitch whether he is a good coach or not. The players were confident in 2007 and look what happened... but I don't think that was because of Hart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Zoff has coached Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and Italy and won a UEFA Cup and finished 2nd in the Euro in the process. What exactly do you consider a top tier manager? I would be surprised (though overjoyed) if this is true but we have never had a manager anywhere close to this guy as far as qualifications and experience are concerned.

...won both the euro cup in 1968 AND world cup in 1982 as a player as well...just thought i'd mention it...

But its too good to be true this would never happen (I hope I gynx myself!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Juventus are to open a training center in Montreal.

NO. A new soccer scholl affiliate with Juventus has open last fall. Juventus sent 3 technicians last march break for soccer clinics in St-Eustache and Brossard facilities. Juventus and many pro-clubs are doing the same.

Another example was FC Metz doing training camps for Boisbriand FC last two summers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by FCB

NO. A new soccer scholl affiliate with Juventus has open last fall. Juventus sent 3 technicians last march break for soccer clinics in St-Eustache and Brossard facilities. Juventus and many pro-clubs are doing the same.

Another example was FC Metz doing training camps for Boisbriand FC last two summers.

Hey where did you find this info...I could really use it for some of my thesis work...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...