Morace at BMO on the 24th of March

squid2

Morace was interviewed today on CHIN Radio in Toronto (in Italian). Bobby Iarusci was one of the interviewers.

the following are highlites of what i can remember was discussed in the interview:

- She was up in Ottawa these last few days for meetings with CSA officials to outline her plans for the women's national team program. Apparently, her ideas were well received.

- she spoke at some length about how talented Christine Sinclair is. She said at least a couple of times how she is one of the top talents in the world and they are going to work very hard with her to make her even better. One thing she noted is that Sinclair doesn't dribble the ball enough (does take people on 1v1). I got the impression that Morace intends to push her to be more aggressive because she has the ability to do it.

- when asked by Bob Iarusci about playing style and whether the players in the system are able to play the type of style Carolina wants, she made it clear that they played a 4-4-2 almost exclusively in cyrpus because that is the formation that the majority of the players are most comfortable with but the ball was played on the deck primarily and that is what will be expected.

- when asked if she intends to repeat the residency program, she made it very clear that she has no plans to do anything like that again. If memort serves me, she said something like "a national team can not be a closed club. It must be open for all the best talent in the country".

- she will be travelling to the US at the end of the month to do some research on the USSF coaching programs to see how we can improve the coaching curriculum here in Canada. There are alot of stories floating around (especially from Canadian coaches who have been certified outside of Canada) about how Canadian coaching licenses don't hold much water outside of Canada so it is good to hear that Carolina intends to learn what our closest competitor is doing to prepare their coaches.

- she mentioned that a total of 11 players from the most recent camp will be playing pro soccer this summer (6 in WPS and 5 more in Europe). She wants to ensure that the team doesn't go through long periods of inactivity anymore. The 5 month break that the girls endured between end of September and mid-February is simply too long and breaks the team bond.

that's all I can recall. If anything else comes to mind, I'll edit the post.

Speaking of the 6 players who are playing WPS I'm thinking Latham is included in that bunch (off the top of my head, Canadians in WPS, Tancredi, Parker, Sinclair, Leblanc, McLeod, Latham?). Nonen is also playing for FC Indiana this summer. Does anyone think Carolina will bring those 2 back in for a look, esp Latham since she was selected for WPS?

She does have the 'luxury' of WPS now, which provides a much longer and debatably higher quality playing opportunity than does the W-League, a distinct advantage over her predecessor who resorted to the residency to keep the women playing. Circumstances are quite different now.

quote:Originally posted by bjarne

Oh just remembered Chapman is with the Breakers as well, so that is the sixth. But question still stands about if people think Latham and Nonen will be invited back in.

I would like to believe that Latham will get a chance to win a spot on this team.

Nonen is a little longer in the tooth....hard to see her getting back in the mix

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I would like to believe that Latham will get a chance to win a spot on this team.

Nonen is a little longer in the tooth....hard to see her getting back in the mix

That is assuming they both would want to.

^ you are correct...neither might have any interest. I know some of the younger players who were outside of the WNT program during the Pellerud years have lost some interest in taking part in it so it would not surprise at all if Latham and Nonen have no interest either.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

She does have the 'luxury' of WPS now, which provides a much longer and debatably higher quality playing opportunity than does the W-League, a distinct advantage over her predecessor who resorted to the residency to keep the women playing. Circumstances are quite different now.

Her predecessor wouldn't know how to make them play different or better even if they were all playing for WPS teams, simply because he doesn't know any better, period.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Carolina Morace to speak at BMO on Tuesday March 24th at 10AM. Morace to discuss May 25th friendly against Japan. A home "debut" for her and a welcomed home appearance for our Snr WNT.

No other info was provided.

Today's speaking engagement at BMO Field was indeed a press conference to formally announce the May 25th Friendly vs. Japan and to update the media as to the progress that has been made in these first 6 weeks.

Carolina Morace and Andrea Neil were both in attendance, answering lots of media questions. Other CSA officials were also on hand.

Her comments echoed many of the comments she made to CHIN Radio on the weekend (see my post above). BTW, her english is definitely improving rapidly.

There was a pretty good turnout...most of the major media outlets were in attendance. I'd expect that there will be some coverage on the various soccer shows this week.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Great article here w/ some good highlights of Carolina's WNT future plans

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/makebeautiful/1422083/story.html

I thought this was great.

Our new national coach was once the best female player on the planet. Her only regret was not winning the Golden Ball as the world's top player. But that's only because it didn't exist when she played.

That's where Canada captain Christine Sinclair comes in. She's Canada's best, according to Morace, and she has an appetite to learn.

"My goal is for her to win the Golden Ball," she said. "If she wins it, it will be like me winning it."

That's the stuff this country has been missing...shoot for the stars and you'll reach the sky.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

If that's not "love" (for her predecessor) I don't know what it is you implied with your kiss ass comment!

It's too late for groans now, we finally have a true head coach working with the WNT...swallow it.

Call it a kiss ass comment if that makes you feel good (a peurile response if nothing else) but it is a fact nevertheless that Morace has the luxury of players in WPS which was not around during the Pellerud era, no matter what your opinion of Pellerud. A very different set of circumstances for the two coaches.

I sincerely hope Morace lives up to her billing, for everybody's sake.

Archived