"Whitecaps" brand vs. generic "Vancouver 2011"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly can't believe you people actually like such a rubbish name. I'm looking at my stupid Whitecaps towel, with its big dumb logo, and its tacky blue, green, and white colouring, now I'm looking at its terrible slogan "catch the wave". The joy I will have of burning this when the name gets changed (hopefully). I think all of you should think about this, and actually consider names, a logo, and motto that would actually represent more than the fact that its a coastal city. I mean come on "catch the wave" you might as well say "jump on the bandwagon, we need anybody we can get". We all know Vancouver has loyal fans, so change the motto at least. "All for one" means something, "You'll never walk alone" means something. Try again.

quote:Originally posted by Samuelb

I wasn't contradicting myself. I was saying its stupid as to go to the extent that Salt Lake did. Teams however that have gone with whats simple like Toronto FC "the reds" works best I feel. I think it's best to just keep to the naming style with just the city or town with FC beside it. I never said Baggies was an awesome nickname either, I said "the reds" was awesome.

Vancouver got MLS much to your disappointment, and now you're trying to convince people they won't be the Whitecaps?

Troll, you mom only gives you gives you 5 bucks a week allowance, so you don't have enough to bet. It will be 100% Whitecaps, and that came straight from Jeff Mallett. They'll go through the motions because that's what MLS does. They'll offer suggestions like "City" or "Royals" or "Blues" or "Villa" and in the end, it will be "Whitecaps".

I wasn't contradicting myself. I was saying its stupid as to go to the extent that Salt Lake did. Teams however that have gone with whats simple like Toronto FC "the reds" works best I feel. I think it's best to just keep to the naming style with just the city or town with FC beside it. I never said Baggies was an awesome nickname either, I said "the reds" was awesome.

Now that you've made yourself more clear, I agree to a certain extent. I think names should always have some meaning. Real Salt Lake is stupid because they don't have any connection to the Spanish royal family. Dallas Burn is stupid because although it may be hot in Dallas, "Burn" is just stupid no matter how you slice it. I remember thinking when Kansas City Wiz played Dallas Burn that it was the STD derby. Anyway...

Yes, it's true that in "North America" (what some people call Canada and USA while forgetting the rest of the continent) sports teams are almost always called The [city name] + [retarded team name], that doesn't make it necessary.

Whitecaps is a name that is unique, connected to Vancouver and has been here for years.

When I played youth soccer in the 80's every house league had a Cosmos, United, Celtic, Rangers, and Whitecaps. I had absolutely no idea why they used any of those names but Whitecaps was a class A generic soccer name as far as I was concerned (as a 10 year old). In fact, it was more common than Blizzard even though I was in the GTA. But maybe that's just because Burlinton always swung more towards the Steelers.

Anyways, it'd be a tragedy if the name doesn't carry on but if it has to happen they can always call themselves the Evil Berts.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Whitecaps is a name that is unique, connected to Vancouver and has been here for years.

Why is it unique? As far as I can tell, they looked at their geography and were like "hmmmm, we're near water, so lets call ourselves the whitecaps". I really don't see the meaning, and I certainly don't see how it is more unique than calling yourself the fire, the timbers, the earthquakes. All they've done is just add another element, now we just need wind and heart(if you are going with captain planet). I'm sorry for coming from an English background, but these names just sound dumb to me. Fair enough this is North America, but if anything I think this just damages the league having names like this. Vancouver City FC with a nickname like "The 'Caps" just sounds better to me.

How is it unique? They're the only team in the world called Whitecaps, which is unique. Also, I never said it was "more unique" than anything else because that is grammatically impossible.

I also come from a British background, but so what. Unless you're 100% native, you come from some other background.

I can see your point, and I agree with most of what you say. The only thing we disagree on is this particular name. I guess I don't mind it because it's been there since the 70's and I would hate to see it changed. Why? Because another thing I hate about sports teams in this part of the world is the constant name changing. Whitecaps are doing their best to be a real club like the rest of the world, and changing the name would just make them a manufactured franchise. Suddenly calling themselves Vancouver City FC (although I like the name) would also be artificial.

If you want to change a name, try the Impact. It has only been in existence since 1993. It sounds ridiculous and has no relation to the city.

Ok, then I have this arguement. I think that when this team enters the league in 2011 its going to be barely recognizable. How many players do you expect to make the jump to the mls. It certainly didn't happen that way with Seattle. I could be wrong, the Whitecaps are a much stronger organization. But what I'm saying is, if the whole team is going to change in terms of players, how is that not the same "manufactured" feeling that you get from the idea of a name change. Therefore, whole new team, whole new name. That's how I see it.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I hope none of you arguing this are skateboarders or listen to Siouxie and the Banshies, wouldn't that be embarrassing for you.

I'm not arguing the point but I do own the albums Tinderbox and Superstition. [V]

Well.... if you were going to change the name from the "spume" i.e. Whitecaps .. what would you call the team ?

Now were they not once the eighty sixers .. as in Vancouver 86ers ?

Since they are starting in 2011, they could be the Vancouver 11, and the fans the 12th but heck all that might be too many numbers .. nah leave it at Whitecaps, and the fan group as the Southsiders... but I just think Van 11 sounds very cool and would stand the test of time kinda like Ottawa 67s or Hanover 96 or Schalke 04...

quote:

Note Vancouver 11 copyright 2009 Trillium all rights reserved.

One thing I hope would change is the name Southsiders, since they congregate at an end, not on a side.

The crew's crest, if it can be called that, is the most hideous thing I've ever seen related to a football club...oops, soccer team. Even if I did like the Village People, it would still be silly.

Getting back to my discussion with Samuelb, again I see your point, but I would hope that the club would try to avoid that new, manufactured North-of-Mexico plop-a-team-wherever franchise feeling and keep whatever tradition they have. They won the championship last year...they just have to wait two years for promotion, unless of course they win again in 2010. You make good points and I agree with 99% of what you're saying, but I just want them to keep this name for continuity.

Ok, lets all take a look at the name "whitecaps". O.K. it sucks. It's a stupid wave for a logo. It's probably one of my most hated names and logo's next to "REAL" Salt Lake. Seriously, what are these teams thinking? Are they thinking they will sell more tickets if people think they have a connection do a bigger club in Europe? I don't care if its been around for 35 years or whatever, that's long enough to realize the name sucks, and the logo sucks. Time for a name change and a logo change. Does anyone actually have a good reason for why the name "whitecaps" is a good name, or why the logo is a wave?

Ok Wait, first you say we shouldn't emulate European club, then you go and say that we should be called Vancouver City but nicknamed the caps on the side.

Wouldn't that be copying European clubs?

If I didn't know any better you are very "spiral" like. Then again every idiot posters now a day are labeled spiral and lynched.

As I don't post here often. If we truly don't want to copy anyone, we should keep the Whitecaps name. Whitecaps is tradition, WHICH is one thing we should emulate from Europe.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

One thing I hope would change is the name Southsiders, since they congregate at an end, not on a side.

You are kidding right? [:0]

Even if they put us on the north end of the pitch we'll still be the Southsiders... because BC Place is on the south side of downtown Vancouver!

The name whitecaps carries with it pride not embarrassment, why would anyone want to change it? The Caps are champions. The name Whitecaps is known worldwide with older generation footy fans. I've met people in throughout the world who knew who the caps were from their NASL days. We are not Liverpool we are Canadian god damn it we can make our own songs, chants and logos that reflect who we are and not have to feel guilty about it. Copy-catting big euro clubs is the real mickey mouse behaviour, not having an unusual team name. No one respects a wannabe and if it aint broke don't fix it.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

You are kidding right? [:0]

Even if they put us on the north end of the pitch we'll still be the Southsiders... because BC Place is on the south side of downtown Vancouver!

No, I'm not kidding. I wouldn't mind the name sticking no matter where the group ends up in relation to the pitch at BC Place, but I think the name is silly to begin with.

No sense changing the Whitecaps name. It's very much what Vancouver & BC is about ie mountain caps & wave caps. As mentioned above it's known worldwide just like Vancouver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC

Another thought is it's pretty expensive & risky to change your branding for a sports franchise these days.

For the average Vancouver soccer fan or person on the street there is too much history w/ the name "Whitecaps"

I doubt very much that the owneship group will give the MLS team a different name for all the reasons most of us are well aware of. As has already been explained elsewhere here, the Whitecaps organisation is complex and includes several properties which are identifed with the name Vancouver WHitecaps FC. The legal aspects of the relationship with MLS of all of these properties had not yet been finalised by the time the franchise award was made public so it was very wise of the club not to jeopardise its legal position in the ongoing negotiations with MLS by using the Vancouver Whitecaps brand for their MLS team prematurely.

For what it's worth, Bob Lenarduzzi told the show this morning that:

- he wants to keep the name Whitecaps

- that they are locked into BC Place until 2016

- there will be no lines on their pitch

- and that the Academy discussions continue, but that the Caps made it clear to the MLS that it was make or break item for them

The show will be up in a few hours and you can hear what else he had to say.

Cheers

Archived