"Whitecaps" brand vs. generic "Vancouver 2011"

Some of you have been asking / speculating why the MLS news conference did not mention the Whitecaps by name.

Here's why:

Vancouver Whitecaps FC (or simply "Vancouver Whitecaps) is a legal entity which includes the men's & women's first teams and all the youth development squads. There's about 16 - 18 teams in total, if I recall correctly.

At this stage, Vancouver has not finalized arrangements with MLS concerning the protection and retention of its development players and teams.

Therefore, our ownership group cannot say "Vancouver Whitecaps FC" is joining MLS. Not yet, anyway!

Things do look promising, though. The indication is that Garber likes what we do and will encourage other MLS owners to follow suit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Samuelb

The name should be changed anyway. Something like Vancouver City FC would sound better. Whitecaps should just be a nickname, like magpies for Newcastle United

Let's start with "no".

Actually. Let's end with that too.

No.

Ok, lets all take a look at the name "whitecaps". O.K. it sucks. It's a stupid wave for a logo. It's probably one of my most hated names and logo's next to "REAL" Salt Lake. Seriously, what are these teams thinking? Are they thinking they will sell more tickets if people think they have a connection do a bigger club in Europe? I don't care if its been around for 35 years or whatever, that's long enough to realize the name sucks, and the logo sucks. Time for a name change and a logo change. Does anyone actually have a good reason for why the name "whitecaps" is a good name, or why the logo is a wave?

Vancouver is a coastal city, making a "watery" logo/name much more logical. I guess they could name themselves a prairie or a tropical name, but that just wouldn't makes sense now, would it?

And a whitecap is the top of the wave that breaks and appears white when the wind blows it over. Hence a wave logo.

Ok, lets all take a look at the name "whitecaps". O.K. it sucks. It's a stupid wave for a logo. It's probably one of my most hated names and logo's next to "REAL" Salt Lake. Seriously, what are these teams thinking? Are they thinking they will sell more tickets if people think they have a connection do a bigger club in Europe? I don't care if its been around for 35 years or whatever, that's long enough to realize the name sucks, and the logo sucks. Time for a name change and a logo change. Does anyone actually have a good reason for why the name "whitecaps" is a good name, or why the logo is a wave?

If can't put 2 and 2 togetehr why should we help you.

Stick to TFC if you need simple

[?]

Kinda lost me there. Think it's a grand name, made even grander over time and there is no denying it has become a distinctly Vancouver property. There'll never be a New York WhiteCaps or a WhiteCaps Marseille

Think Vancouver just lucked out with the nickname 'cause it is certainly '70s. But like I wrote above, it has aged gracefully.

As to the wave logo. WhiteCap...rough wave....you picking up the connection? Maybe a "V" for Vancouver crest would be preferrable?

c'mon, whitecaps is an odd 70s era nickname. when i first heard it (sometime in the late 90s), i thought it was dumb.

the thing is, that shouldnt matter. the history of the team outweighs any drawback to the actual name 100 times over.

it's no worse than the impact.

(i would still like to see people start calling TFC "the blizzard" as a nickname. Reds is just so blah.)

Ok, obviously I knew the wave logo referred to that of a whitecap, and obviously I realize Vancouver is a coastal city. That doesn't mean it's a great name. And no, it is not catchy like baggies, or cottagers, not even close. It just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, I agree Sounders is a terrible name, but I honestly don't think Whitecaps is much better. I'm not saying totally disregard the name Whitecaps. I'm saying, use it as a nickname, but not as a team name. As I said before, magpies for Newcaslte, reds for Liverpool, etc etc. So the team would still be called the whitecaps, I'm just saying that the official name should be changed to something else. I mean, Hull Tigers, Newcastle Magpies, it all sounds dumb. Change the name, it sucks.

By the way, it's not my fault I'm awesome and I have a kingly name. You should just bow to me and accept my will for a name change.

Reds is an awesome nickname, just like their motto "All for one" its like Anfield's "You'll never walk alone" and their nickname of the reds. I just feel teams in Canada should take inspiration from the teams where the sport originated.

Simple fix really. Whitecaps FC Ltd. (or whatever it is legally called) can simply change its name (i.e. Junior Whitecaps Club Inc.), consent to the creation of a new entity with the Whitecaps FC name (i.e. the new MLS club) and then assign all of their intellectual property rights to the new entity.

Reds is an awesome nickname, just like their motto "All for one" its like Anfield's "You'll never walk alone" and their nickname of the reds. I just feel teams in Canada should take inspiration from the teams where the sport originated.

Go away please. How can someone of sound mind and body say that 'Baggies' is an awesome name? And then dismiss 'Whitecaps'? f moi.

Seriously, what are these teams thinking? Are they thinking they will sell more tickets if people think they have a connection do a bigger club in Europe? I don't care if its been around for 35 years or whatever, that's long enough to realise the name sucks...

Aren't you contradicting yourself? In another post you go on about how teams with Euro-style names are better but here you say having names like that aren't such a good idea.

I think the team should remain Whitecaps. As others have said, it's known around the world. It would be pretentious to name them something stupid like Real Vancouver or Vancouver Wednesday. I say keep the name Whitecaps, with The Villagers as the nickname.

I wasn't contradicting myself. I was saying its stupid as to go to the extent that Salt Lake did. Teams however that have gone with whats simple like Toronto FC "the reds" works best I feel. I think it's best to just keep to the naming style with just the city or town with FC beside it. I never said Baggies was an awesome nickname either, I said "the reds" was awesome.

Welcome to the North American landscape. MLB, NFL and NHL have all had nicknames like this. I was a big fan of the Vancouver 86ers, it had a nice ring to it, bit it is dead now. Toronto Blizzard was good too, maybe for the second franchise or Chivas Canada ;) I can do with out Fury, Kickers and Sockers. Vancouver is the Whitecaps and the Whitecaps are Vancouver, period.

Welcome to the North American landscape. MLB, NFL and NHL have all had nicknames like this. I was a big fan of the Vancouver 86ers, it had a nice ring to it, bit it is dead now. Toronto Blizzard was good too, maybe for the second franchise or Chivas Canada ;) I can do with out Fury, Kickers and Sockers. Vancouver is the Whitecaps and the Whitecaps are Vancouver, period.

Archived