Jump to content

Will it be "Whitecaps" no more?


cfof

Recommended Posts

Not a snowball's chance in hell will the name ever get changed. :(

MLS learned their lesson with Seattle. They had 3 "choices" none of which were Sounders but yet 85% of the votes went into the "other" category and put in Sounders.

When you have a name that goes back decades, has great name recognition and can't be accused of Europosing why on earth would you change it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where is this info coming from?

"The Vancouver Whitecaps FC currently play in the United Soccer League's First Division and team president Bob Lenarduzzi said they will continue to field a USL farm team after joining the MLS.

But, what isn't known is whether the Whitecaps name will follow the team to the big leagues, or stay with the USL farm team."

Caps to continue a USL club AFTER joining MLS? Had not heard that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Where is this info coming from?

"The Vancouver Whitecaps FC currently play in the United Soccer League's First Division and team president Bob Lenarduzzi said they will continue to field a USL farm team after joining the MLS.

But, what isn't known is whether the Whitecaps name will follow the team to the big leagues, or stay with the USL farm team."

Caps to continue a USL club AFTER joining MLS? Had not heard that!

really thats awesome smart as well with all the roster restrictions in the MLS and the Caps great residency program we will ahve a better chance at developing players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Where is this info coming from?

"The Vancouver Whitecaps FC currently play in the United Soccer League's First Division and team president Bob Lenarduzzi said they will continue to field a USL farm team after joining the MLS.

But, what isn't known is whether the Whitecaps name will follow the team to the big leagues, or stay with the USL farm team."

Caps to continue a USL club AFTER joining MLS? Had not heard that!

They're keeping the USL PD and W teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Whitecaps as a brand is 35 years old and actually has some cache in Europe and soccer circles. Why they would consider changing it is mind boggling. One can only dream of starting a new franchise with the existing brand recognition the Whitecaps name brings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

The Whitecaps as a brand is 35 years old and actually has some cache in Europe and soccer circles. Why they would consider changing it is mind boggling. One can only dream of starting a new franchise with the existing brand recognition the Whitecaps name brings.

True. Just the other day I was reading a wiki article on Liverpool and Manchester United rivalry and the Whitecaps are mentioned in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I myself tend to prefer the "European" names, I admit that a club with the history and pedigree of the Whitecaps simply should not have its identity changed. However, for clubs that are just starting up, I still believe that the Euro-style names are the way to go. Maybe it's just the Euro-snob in me but I just feel like these names give teams more of a "professional" and traditional feel. This is why I feel that "Toronto FC" works so well. If Ottawa were to get a franchise, I'd be in favour of Ottawa FC. Just as I'd like for the rumoured Hamilton USL-1 franchise to be re-named Hamilton City FC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As certain as Vancouver would earn expansion, retaining the Whitecap brand is even more certain. The owners all agree.

But MLS goes through this song and dance, where they want the public's input, and then a vote, and then a splashy announcement with new logo and jersey etc.

It's just another way of getting hype, and not making it appear like a USL team is being promoted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My problem with MLS teams naming themselves 'FC' is that none of them resemble a 'club' in any way. They are basically a single professional team with no members. At least Whitecaps FC resembles a proper football club in that it has a fully developed structure of senior, reserve, youth, and women's sides existing under a single umbrella. I'm in favour of TFC being referred to as TFF until such time as they start to resemble a football club more than a soccer franchise. And don't get me started on FC Dallas....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Kurt-MTL

Although I myself tend to prefer the "European" names, I admit that a club with the history and pedigree of the Whitecaps simply should not have its identity changed. However, for clubs that are just starting up, I still believe that the Euro-style names are the way to go. Maybe it's just the Euro-snob in me but I just feel like these names give teams more of a "professional" and traditional feel. This is why I feel that "Toronto FC" works so well. If Ottawa were to get a franchise, I'd be in favour of Ottawa FC. Just as I'd like for the rumoured Hamilton USL-1 franchise to be re-named Hamilton City FC.

You get one United and one Real and one "city name FC" per league. After that it starts to smack of posing and copycat.

Toronto FC works very well because TFC is easy to spell for Toronto fans [}:)]

MLS wants to distance themselves from the NASL era but when you have teams like the Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers who have been through thick and thin and kept it going at some level for decades and want to bring their name recognition along it makes no sense to change it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect the Whitecaps are being deliberately canny from a marketing point of view. Plenty of passion and publicity can be whipped up over a 'name the team' competition as is done by most other new MLS teams. Especially so with the intrinsic value so many fans place in the historic nature of the Vancouver Whitecaps moniker. Then at the end of the day they announce the fan favourite is to stick with the Vancouver Whitecaps FC name having gained plenty of column inches and airtime publicity and promotion for practically nothing while the pundits report on or argue about different names and fans burn up the online forums with impassioned debate. Look, its working already!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

it would be pointless to change the name of the club. I'd imagine we'll do as the Sounders spruce up the badge and keep the same name.

Whitecaps FC (probably what will become of the name instead of Vancouver Whitecaps.)

I actually believe they'll be Vancouver Whitecaps FC. They are currently Whitecaps FC which I think (in a sideways sort of way) was meant to be inclusive to the surrounding municipalities, especially Burnaby. The mayor of Vancouver made a big deal about bringing them back to Vancouver during the presser.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I suspect the Whitecaps are being deliberately canny from a marketing point of view. Plenty of passion and publicity can be whipped up over a 'name the team' competition as is done by most other new MLS teams. Especially so with the intrinsic value so many fans place in the historic nature of the Vancouver Whitecaps moniker. Then at the end of the day they announce the fan favourite is to stick with the Vancouver Whitecaps FC name having gained plenty of column inches and airtime publicity and promotion for practically nothing while the pundits report on or argue about different names and fans burn up the online forums with impassioned debate. Look, its working already!

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Worked great for Seattle where they didn't even include Sounders in the choices and it was selected via write-in. Marketing marvel, as we've seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently it is Vancouver Whitecaps FC and has been for a while. It was switched to Whitecaps FC when Kerfoot first took over the club, primarily because ownership of the Vancouver Whitecaps trademark was mired in a legal dispute held over from the Stadnyk era. The club later did re-acquire the trademark, and over time has reverted back to Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

Currently it is Vancouver Whitecaps FC and has been for a while. It was switched to Whitecaps FC when Kerfoot first took over the club, primarily because ownership of the Vancouver Whitecaps trademark was mired in a legal dispute held over from the Stadnyk era. The club later did re-acquire the trademark, and over time has reverted back to Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

My mistake. [:I]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Keano

They're keeping the USL PD and W teams.

Does anyone see a problem with keeping the USL team? I think it makes sense because MLS does not have a reserve division, and it is certainly better for younger players to play in that type of situation rather than rotting on the bench. However, anyone have any idea how keeping the USL team would effect the Canadian Championships?

Would the USL team play in the Canadian Championships still as well as the MLS team? If you don’t let that USL team play how can you say Montreal should play? I think I would prefer the caps to drop the USL team and reach an agreement with Victoria for loans and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...