10:15 Wednesday News Conference

spiral

Tuesday afternoon: Whitecaps alert media to major soccer announcement

The Vancouver Whitecaps have called a media conference for what they describe as 'a major announcement about the future of soccer in Vancouver and British Columbia' for Wednesday morning in Vancouver (March 18).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by FCB

You seriously think that the final contract and the check is signed.

Come on, it does not work like that.

I'm pretty sure it does work like that. They don't ever make anything public unless it's official, it would be too embarassing for the league if it fell apart afterward. They only make these announcements when they're 100% sure.

I'll preface this by stating that I'll be very surprised if there is no franchise announcement at this news conference and very much hope there is, but people maybe should be aware that MLS announced Cleveland as a conditional franchise to be added in 2005 along with Chivas USA only for it to all subsequently unravel when the anticipated stadium deal failed to materialize. That's probably more relevant in a Portland context, however.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

I'll preface this by stating that I'll be very surprised if there is no franchise announcement at this news conference and very much hope there is, but people maybe should be aware that MLS announced Cleveland as a conditional franchise to be added in 2005 along with Chivas USA only for it to all subsequently unravel when the anticipated stadium deal failed to materialize. That's probably more relevant in a Portland context, however.

And of course there was the San Antonio conditional franchise as well. I would imagine they'd do anything to avoid these two situations again.

quote:Originally posted by MTL_4_LIFE

I can finally say that i believe all the news/rumores of Vancouver in MLS.

As a Canadian im very proud but as a Montreal supporter, "fken lucky bastards".

Montreal's time will come

Agreed, as a Montreal fan it's a bitter sweet moment. I am truly happy for Vancouver and believe this is going to be yet another huge step forward for Canadian soccer, however now that Vancouver is in, it is more important that Montreal follows suit as soon as possible.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090317.w-brunt18/BNStory/GlobeSportsSoccer

Brunt smacks down the critics.

As usual, he hits the mark.. This is the quote that i feel is worth repeating : "And the truth is, the MLS didn't require mass conversions to survive".

The part that annoys me about the critics is the insistance that the sport needs to attract fans like them. Well, it doesn't need to. There are something like 60 millions Americans of Hispanic origins. Garber even stated on radio once that the idea of getting beckham was prompted from teh fact that in the last WC, the ratings for the final exceeded by large that of the World Series. So the fans are already there ( just like in TO). You just gotta get them to buy tickets.

To survive, the sport doesn't need to convert anybody who already hates the sport. If that were the case, then you would see tinkering with rules like they did with the NASL. This might also explain why the critics have change course from criticizing the sport to criticized the quality of play in MLS.

I read the announcement on MLS.com and noticed that in the article it mentioned the announcement would be at 1:15am on Wed. which I found a little strange. Just noticed the front caption says 1:15pm... makes more sense. Does anyone know if this will be streamed online anywhere?..

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

I read the announcement on MLS.com and noticed that in the article it mentioned the announcement would be at 1:15am on Wed. which I found a little strange. Just noticed the front caption says 1:15pm... makes more sense. Does anyone know if this will be streamed online anywhere?..

I think it says they are on mlsnet.com

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Congrats to the Vancouver boys.

What a crappy day for Montreal fans though.

And if Portland indeed jumps ship on Friday, it'll be one of the worst weeks ever.

I have to agree 100% on these comments.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

Agreed, as a Montreal fan it's a bitter sweet moment. I am truly happy for Vancouver and believe this is going to be yet another huge step forward for Canadian soccer, however now that Vancouver is in, it is more important that Montreal follows suit as soon as possible.

I could see Montreal getting in 2010 or 2011 through a failing MLS team that needs to get moved. No sources on that but just my gut feeling.

I'm overjoyed about Vancouver getting an MLS franchise. I've been a Whitecaps fan since the NASL days and the team and the franchise belong in the highest level of soccer in North America.

They should have made the presser for 4:20PM though. [8D]

http://vancouvermls2011.com/tickets/tickets-and-hospitality.aspx

Option 1:

Purchase a 2009 Vancouver Whitecaps FC season ticket. All Whitecaps ticket holders are automatically placed at the front of the line for seats in 2011 and do not need to pay the $50 deposit.

Option 2:

Put down a $50 Vancouver Major League Soccer deposit when they go on sale on Saturday, March 21st at 10:00 a.m. There are only 5,000 deposits that will be available to the public on Saturday, so the sooner you put your deposit down, the sooner you get to select your seats.

------------

My guess is that they will sell out 1st day.

Archived