10:15 Wednesday News Conference

spiral

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by spiral

what the hell does that mean? got an agreement or not?

You've obviously never seen a press release before. They don't tell you what they are talking about (even though everyone knows), otherwise, what's the point of announcing something officially when you've already said it in an email.

quote:Originally posted by spiral

what the hell does that mean? got an agreement or not?

I'm expecting them to announce that they agreed on the terms and conditions for Vancouver to access the MLS in 2011 and the Whitecaps will keep their Academy/Residency program.

The agreement will still need to be approve by the majority of the governors and by the players syndicate. The governors and the syndicate will use this as a negociation tool for their own interest. The players convention is due for renewal in 2009. The players will not negociate or vote during the season starting tomorrow. They will for sure want to have a larger share of the pie in a ligue that now request $40 million for a franchise.

It is far from a done deal.

quote:Originally posted by FCB

The agreement will still need to be approve by the majority of the governors and by the players syndicate.

That seems a bit odd to me - the players union gets to determine which cities the league will expand to & which owners join the league? I realize the residency program is a special consideration but I'd be surprised if the player had that much power because of it.

I'm expecting them to announce that they agreed on the terms and conditions for Vancouver to access the MLS in 2011 and the Whitecaps will keep their Academy/Residency program.

The agreement will still need to be approve by the majority of the governors and by the players syndicate. The governors and the syndicate will use this as a negociation tool for their own interest. The players convention is due for renewal in 2009. The players will not negociate or vote during the season starting tomorrow. They will for sure want to have a larger share of the pie in a ligue that now request $40 million for a franchise.

So why would the league announce that Vancouver has an MLS franchise to begin play in 2011 if it's not official and they might not actually get an MLS team?

You're expecting wrong. Vancouver is the 17th franchise. Deal with it.

Fabulous.

Long overdue for a great city that has given me too many awesome memories and by extension congrats to my home province that was home for my first 25 years.

Might start looking at some lower mainland real estate in 2010.

Congrats to Vancouver fans everywhere.

Nobody is now talking about the academy/residency program. They even talk about the waterfront stadium when we all know the will play in BC Place.

The governors and the syndicate will need to approve the deal with the Whitecaps keeping the Academy/Residency program. Was it a deal breaker? Remember that they just cut the reserve team to save money and indirectly freeing more money for the proplayers. It should be done, but not easily, and not before the end of the season.

It is not a firm deal because there is an announcement or press release.

Don't panic it should happened but there is still a lot of work to do.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Anybody at this stage who's trying to say that Vancouver is conditional or negotiating is either a bitter Montreal fan, or just in denial.

2011 seems like such a long way away.

I'm a Montreal fan, and not bitter at all. If there is an anouncement tomorrow, it is because they have agreed on terms and conditions, and the negociations completed.

That being said we are still far from a FIRM deal.

Nobody is now talking about the academy/residency program. They even talk about the waterfront stadium when we all know the will play in BC Place.

The governors and the syndicate will need to approve the deal with the Whitecaps keeping the Academy/Residency program. Was it a deal breaker? Remember that they just cut the reserve team to save money and indirectly freeing more money for the proplayers. It should be done, but not easily, and not before the end of the season.

It is not a firm deal because there is an announcement or press release.

Don't panic it should happened but there is still a lot of work to do.

You sound like Spiral. Sorry, that's a low blow.

I'm a Montreal fan, and not bitter at all. If there is an anouncement tomorrow, it is because they have agreed on terms and conditions, and the negociations completed.

That being said we are still far from a FIRM deal.

They wouldn't announce a franchise, with the MLS Commissioner there, if it weren't a done deal.

Great news. Not only will Vancouver bring a great place to start a franchise, it'll help MLS with tips on how to structure their own academies. the CBA talks after this season should produce some great results.

but let's focus on on the team for now. Congrats whitecap fans I'll see you at swangard in June when TFC takes on your team. Looking forward to a lot more match ups between these two teams.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

They wouldn't announce a franchise, with the MLS Commissioner there, if it weren't a done deal.

You seriously think that the final contract and the check is signed.

Come on, it does not work like that.

Archived