Proposed Voyageurs Shield

<center>Proposed Voyageurs Shield

--Draft One--</center>

Overview

As the Voyageurs leave their mark on Canadian football, with the creations and handlings of the Voyageurs Cup (2002/2007) before final donation of the cup to the newly formed Canadian Championship, we will continue to do so in the development of the Voyageurs Shield.

The Voyageur Shield will be the only open football competition in the country with the winning gaining the final entry into the Nutrilite Canadian Championship, NCC.

Voyageurs Shield

The Voyageurs Shield will be open to any Canadian football club. The tournament will consist of four groups with the winners of each group playing in a semi-championship, championship game.

The Championship

A Voyageur Shield championship will involve three games. All games will be played within three days. Winners of the Voyageurs Shield will gain entering into the Canadian Championship. The Voyageurs Shield Championship week will be organized by the Voyageur Group, provincial association and Canadian Soccer Association.

Groups

Groups will be broken up by male participation statics within provincial association. Organization of group stages will be completed with the cooperation of each provincial association. Group format will be determined by members of each group. All group formats must give each club an equal opportunity.

West- British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories

Central- Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut

East- Ontario

North East- Quebec, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick

Voyageurs Shield Ownership

The ownership of the Voyageurs Shield includes; The Voyageur Group, each participating provincial association and CSA. All memberships are an equal, with no memberships vote weighted more.

Voyageurs Responsibility

-Final Voyageurs Shield proposal

-Submit proposal to associations, league, CSA, teams. (via webcast)

-Create promotional campaign for sponsors

Canadian Male Partipation Rate (2007)

West</u>

British Columbia 70,050

Yukon 1,107

N.W Territories 1,013

Total=72,170

Central </u>

Alberta 49,573

Saskatchewan 11,684

Manitoba 8,369

Nunavut 287

Total=69,913

East</u>

Ontario 220,674

Total=220,674

North East</u>

Quebec 105,018

Nova Scotia 15,602

New Brunswick 9,158

Newfoundland 5,874

P.E.I 2,953

Total= 138,605

---

one can dream...

• 1 month later...

I do like the sound of it. I was just reading how the teams in the Maritimes can't get their schedules together, so adding more games to the schedule might be difficult. Are their full sized indoor fields in each region to possibly play these games during the "off-season"?

Probable correction of one minor fact: I believe the Voyageurs Cup was not permanently donated to the CSA; rather, the terms of the agreement are in fact up for renewal in 2010.

That said, this is a superb dream to be having, and the VCup we have today was a dream for an awfully long time.

I vote no, adding a fourth team to the Voyageurs Cup that is considerably weaker than the rest could result in the Winner of the V Cup being determined by who scored the most goals against the crap fourth team.

How do I put this politely ... what would be the point?

This "competition" would serve no useful purpose, duplicate or overlap existing competitions and confuse the casual supporters/corporate sponsors.

Sorry, good intentions but not a way forward at this time.

I think this is a great idea, imagine playing for your local team with the thought of playing Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal. The publicity for this would be huge. Profiles of some of the players from the Voyageur Shield team would do wonders for the game in this country a la FA Cup style. (e.g Mr. Smith has been playing for 25 years, and has worked in the mill all his life...) Not to mention the suprise upset from time to time :)

quote:Originally posted by ted

How do I put this politely ... what would be the point?

This "competition" would serve no useful purpose, duplicate or overlap existing competitions and confuse the casual supporters/corporate sponsors.

Sorry, good intentions but not a way forward at this time.

I do understand your point. However, there does not have to be any overlapping of existing competitions. For example, the winner of the Central Group will be determined in a weekend tournament with the provincial winners of the Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut (already exciting) provincial championship.

What casual supporters/corporate sponsors are you referring to? If anything this set up would give local clubs an opportunity to gain supporters/corporate sponsorships.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

I vote no, adding a fourth team to the Voyageurs Cup that is considerably weaker than the rest could result in the Winner of the V Cup being determined by who scored the most goals against the crap fourth team.

I personally would LOVE to see how much of a quality difference there is between a club like Serbian White Eagles of the CSL and the current Whitecaps roster.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I do understand your point. However, there does not have to be any overlapping of existing competitions.

In BC we have a Provincial Cup competition which any club can enter. The winner of that cup plays in the national club championship the Challenge Cup.

How does your proposal differ from the Challenge Cup?

There are indeed. a few reason for a new or reformatted old:

-entry to CCL

-allow CSL,PCSL,PDL(semi-pro sides are not allowed in provincial cups)..and every other team in Canada, besides the big three to have a go.

-create a much more professional environment for senior teams across the country, something that is currently lacking in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

There are indeed. a few reason for a new or reformatted old:

-entry to CCL

-allow CSL,PCSL,PDL(semi-pro sides are not allowed in provincial cups)..and every other team in Canada, besides the big three to have a go.

-create a much more professional environment for senior teams across the country, something that is currently lacking in Canada.

Right now in Canada we have three fully professional clubs, only one semiprofessional league in the country CSL and the rest are amateur clubs and leagues.

wait..we have three pro clubs?? and a semi pro league? get out of here.!!

regs, i was never aware PCSL teams could entire the BC tourny..that would make things ever easier to crown a champ of the west to join the other three regions for the championships.

this proposal is not perfect, I'm well aware of that. But something needs to be done to create drive for better amoung senior ametuer/semi-pro teams in this country.

Archived