Santos Laguna-Montreal Match 2 (R)

quote:Originally posted by Miche

yeah, great point. It's quite doubtful we'll get more than one team, but it could very well become reality that the Canadian champ gets an automatic place in the groups just like Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, and Panama.

If the Whitecaps get an MLS franchise, and at this point I don't see how they can't, that will also strengthen our cause towards CONCACAF and the Champions League.

There has been speculation that when Vancouver goes MLS, perhaps Victoria will move up to USL-1. I'm not sure where that speculation came from or how valid it may be, but that too would help our cause. Additional USL clubs will help us as much as MLS franchises (thanks to Montreal and Puerto Rico).

Then of course there is Ottawa ? Would Melnyck consider USL-1 while he waits for a crack at MLS ? I sure hope so (although I doubt he will).

The real question facing Canadian soccer right now is not whether Vancouver goes MLS, it's how will USL-1 respond, and will that result in Victoria moving up to USL-1. One could make the arguement that this will have a greater impact on the Canadian scene, as it would result in an additional professional Canadian club (which in turn would also assist us regarding CONCACAF & Champions League).

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Miche

yeah, great point. It's quite doubtful we'll get more than one team, but it could very well become reality that the Canadian champ gets an automatic place in the groups just like Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, and Panama.

After the game, I had to stay away from the board for a couple of days. I was that distraught. But dispite the incredible outcome of the game, there have been some really good points in this thread, including the one above.

Congratulations Impact. You did Canada proud.

quote:Originally posted by masster

HAH!! Watching the game somewhat reminded my of that Mexico-Haiti game.

Interesting fact about Placide, he has played a game with the France U-21's recently and might be looking to play for France instead of Haiti.

Not a bad news for us as I could easily picturing him in 4 or 8 yrs from now stealing a game for Haiti against us in an important WCQ...

Archived