Santos Laguna-Montreal Match 2 (R)

The way i see it everything after the TFC game in July was a bonus, this team had me on the edge of my seat every single game, yes we lost but how many people expected us to make it that far..not too many

Impact players should hold their head up high and get ready for another run because we all know TFC and Van will want a piece of the action.

LET'S GO IMPACT!!!!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

Also, I'm a bit reluctant to visit the RPB forum at the moment. Bound to be some immature people mouthing off. As, you know, people there are less about country over club than we on here are...

I wasn't aware that the Canadian national team was playing...

aw man, just finished watching the game (first time) on replay. That was terrible. And this was the ONLY game the whole tournament I was able to watch without distraction!! But yeah, epic collapse. Going through the stages; denial, check, anger, check, depression...oh, still on depression.

Really bad decision to go full defense, no ball control whatsoever, not anywhere, none. The ball control in the first half was impressive, but.... ugh.. wow

Still happy I live in a place where we don't have to be fenced off. :)

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

I'd prefer we learn how to win. And my point of view is that celebrating with the opponent fans is a lack of respect. Anyway, I'm not in the mood to discuss. What a sad night :( Good night.

When you get your ass off the chair and come to the stadium you can talk till then you dont know anything about respect in a stadium.

From Torreon Mexico where you earn respect on your own with real people not hiding behind the keyboard.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

It seemed that the heat and humidity of Mexico might have got the best of Montreal tonight and Santos took full advantage. Did really well to push the Mexicans as far as they did. Well done Impact.

It would have been so cool to see another record attendance match at the big O though.

Heat and humidity .. your nuts its a desert, cactus, sand dunes.... and the conditons were perfect a great night for soccer with no humidity at all.

Montreal got what they deserved they did not play well at all. All I can say is I'm glad Santos Laguna didn't dress that squad in Montreal as they toyed with Impact defenders all game. Impact can only blame themselves though Santos handed them an away goal then Sebrango secured a second; sloppy play after sloppy play and misques defensivly Sukuda should of never started. The Impact sat in there own 18 box 10 strong for the whole second 45 you will never get out of a half down by less than 4 against a team as creative offensivly as Santos Laguna. The Ipact sat in a shell and let Quintero Benitiz Vuosuo and Jimenez pick them apart; like give me a break the Impact could only mustard one shot after Sanchez there only 'fit' goalie left the game with a mysterious knock. Disgusting coaching how can you not get that team to put more on that overweight Barecca seriously they showed him change ****rts and I am was more fit than him; yes I'm not the talented goalie he proved he was on the one nice save he had, but garuanteed if the Impact put even a 5 minutes of pressure on Barecca and his lazy backend they would of gotten a 3rd goal.

All in all I'm just happy it wasn't the whitecapps who had to go into Mexico and be embaressed the way they were. Heres hoping this screw them for the upcoming USL and Voyaguers Cup.

Montreal Impact you humilated Canada tonight.

Go Whitecaps Go

O yea and what a joke of a game called by De Vos he jinxed them right before they put they 2 killers in He says Impact are going to the semi-finals. How can an ex player be so sure of something when the game isn't over has he never watched a game of soccer the finals seconds are whent he most goals are scored. Where Forrest when ya need him.

I do apologize if I offended someone in here while commenting about our awesome football battle during this week. I hope most of canadians don't feel like that. I've been reading all of the comments within the last minutes and had a chance until now to do that cuz half Torreón was out there celebrating and now I found out Grizzly saying they're safe and that Santistas or Laguneros treated them good and that make me happy cuz I did told here no matter the final score they will show respect and if alcohol might have had do something the rest will stand up and protect them or giving a hand or even fist cuz mexicans we are not gangmembers or narcos or because most of us being poor doesn't mean we don't respect and want to learn from an international experience and for many crossing some words or shaking hands are the very first contact or interaction with a person of of the country so I was sure they would enjoy and not only respect but appretiate the effort and humbleness Impact shown while they stayed in the Comarca and talked to the people that approached them so thank you for some of the congrats on Santos Laguna and I'm sure if you keep these players you'll have memorable times along the rest of what make the Impact vibe in Montréal. You entered in the FIFA's most dramatic games book ever tonight and that is a lot of learning that will weight the difference while facing whitecaps, Toronto FC or any other mexican team. Since about a week, Montréal has another fan in México. Felicidades(congratulations) and let's think in what's next. Be proud Quebec, Be proud Canadá because you have Impact Montréal. I can't wait to hear from that young, 22-24 year old national team you have for their planning on route World Cup 2014. ¡viva Norteamérica! viva!

Hey Trillium, be proud man, hey I_AM_CANADIAN. And hey, sorry if I missed someone elses message directed to me.

Amigos, Canadá y México

loritojimenezconsolandor.jpg

Canadians and mexicans in Torreón Coahuila, Plaza Fundadores, Rotary Club, 2008

todoshotelplazafundadort.jpg

Canadians and mexicans in Torreón Coahuila, Plaza Fundadores, Rotary Club, 2008

quote:Originally posted by Leon_Araiza

I do apologize if I offended someone in here while commenting about our awesome football battle during this week. I hope most of canadians don't feel like that.

"Without friendship, there is no football."

- Ferenc Puskas

You have no reason to apologize at all. And you're more than welcome here. Congrats on what had to a very special night for fans in Torreon.

Leon thanks for your input and pictures and congratulations on a famous come from behind win. Like Jason deVos, I did not think that it was possible. Santos played extremely well, but I am going to wear my Impact hat proudly today knowing that Montreal is one great team, just not as good as the Lagunas.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

It's only coming if we're too stupid to prevent it from happening.

Some people watch too many episodes of Football Factories.

Not to mention, many get their definition of how to be a real supporter from Green Street.

Trillium: What I was talking about is people who can't take a loss and moan about it, and/or look to pick fights with opposition fans no matter their intentions. I've seen people like that at about every match I've attended.

Isn't the game tonight. What are you people talking about. That was just one big dream.

YEAH I WISH.

I still can't believe it's over. But Santos is a top team in Mexico. Hopefully the Impact players can forget about this game when their season starts.

Congratulations to the Montreal Impact for a great run.

The match was story of two halves: a good Impact road game for the first half,

with lots of counters and a balanced plan; and a torrid 2nd half with all Santos

Laguna pressure. It sure was DISAPPOINTING results-wise, but it was highly entertaining.

Guys, the better team in their home environment won. Santos Laguna had quite a few

world-class players with skills that the Impact would have desired. The pressure

in the 2nd half was huge; combine that with the heat, physical exhaustion, and a

bunker-defence tactic, as well as lot of luck (ball off a Santos player, but was

given a corner), and the script was realized.

Montreal, a USL Division-1 team, had a Cinderella run stopped in only their second match

of the year. But they matched up well against everyone, including their Mexican hosts.

I am now more excited for this year's Voyageurs Cup, with the skills displayed this past

year.

Congrats to Leon and Santos Laguna for rising to THAT level of football.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Congratulations to the Montreal Impact for a great run.

The match was story of two halves: a good Impact road game for the first half,

with lots of counters and a balanced plan; and a torrid 2nd half with all Santos

Laguna pressure. It sure was DISAPPOINTING results-wise, but it was highly entertaining.

Guys, the better team in their home environment won. Santos Laguna had quite a few

world-class players with skills that the Impact would have desired. The pressure

in the 2nd half was huge; combine that with the heat, physical exhaustion, and a

bunker-defence tactic, as well as lot of luck (ball off a Santos player, but was

given a corner), and the script was realized.

Montreal, a USL Division-1 team, had a Cinderella run stopped in only their second match

of the year. But they matched up well against everyone, including their Mexican hosts.

I am now more excited for this year's Voyageurs Cup, with the skills displayed this past

year.

Congrats to Leon and Santos Laguna for rising to THAT level of football.

Minor point, it wasn't hot. But to me the decisive factor, other than the bad bunker tactic, was that their mid-offseason form showed it's ugly head.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Minor point, it wasn't hot. But to me the decisive factor, other than the bad bunker tactic, was that their mid-offseason form showed it's ugly head.

Hmm I thought on Bold TV, they announced a humid +28C. The defenders

were sure tired in the 2nd half --- probably also because of the

off-season form.

(edit note: Impact game report +20C)

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

Fair enough, I have to say it though we ( Canadian fans ) need to get over thinking the games in Central America or Mexico are fraught with danger to attend and enjoy as an away supporter.

I personaly had a blast last night, the stadium officials and the Concacaf security head made sure we were well protected, we could cheer and sing .. ( and we did in first half ) we should have done more in the second and yes I know it sounds dumb to think a few voices can make a difference... but you begin to need to give your team emotion and a lift even a few voices at the right time can do that.

Would we have felt animosity if Impact had won.. sure more then we did at the end ... but that goes with the territory, would I come to Torreon again to see a game in the new Stadium .. you bet.

I can see Joey getting Santos to play a friendly in Montreal in the future with return leg the year later.. it would create a great rivalry for fans and the players.

Holy crap.

I went to bed at half-time with the Impact up 2-1. Reading this thread is how I found out.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects the Impact's season. They'll either be spurred on to get right back, or it'll wreck them. And now they have to sit around for a month waiting for the season to start.

I'm really proud of our boys. Thanks to all the Voyageurs who supported the Impact on this run. It sucks that they had to lose this way, but I'll never forget all the fantastic moments we've had this season at the stadium. The Canadian championship this year will be awesome!

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Holy crap.

I went to bed at half-time with the Impact up 2-1. Reading this thread is how I found out.

Similar to me, except I heard the result on CBC Radio this morning. I watched the first half and thought it was in the bag so I didn't bother to record the full match later on a western CBC satellite channel, hit the hay, and then get quite a shock in the morning.

As disappointing as the outcome was, I have nothing but accolades for the Impact's great run throughout the whole CCL. Massive props, boys!

Heartbreaking loss, but Montreal has blazed a trail for fellow Canadian clubs to follow.

No more do Canadian clubs have to feel they can't compete in Latin America. I'm sure the Whitecaps and TFC are salivating over the chance to hoist the Voyageurs Cup and enter the Champions League.

Thanks to Montreal, Canada's future participation in the CONCACAF Champion League has been clinched and I expect Canada can make a real case for a better starting point than one team in the preliminary stage.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Thanks to Montreal, Canada's future participation in the CONCACAF Champion League has been clinched and I expect Canada can make a real case for a better starting point than one team in the preliminary stage.

yeah, great point. It's quite doubtful we'll get more than one team, but it could very well become reality that the Canadian champ gets an automatic place in the groups just like Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, and Panama.

Archived