Cherry: Canadian Way isn't to Follow Goofy Soccer

red card

quote:Originally posted by finchster

It doesn't really matter if Don Cherry hates soccer because celebrations like the ones he showed is poor sportsmanship. What ever happened to the idea of being a bad loser and a bad winner? Now the winner can celebrate however he wants and the loser has to sit there and take it? Ovechkin acts like he won the Stanley Cup every goal scored, some people call it entertainment I call it poor sportsmanship. Just because Cherry had some black players at the end of the video celebrating is in no way is racism. If the Footage is from the u20’s CBC would have had that footage to use, along with the Edu footage at the beginning.

These are the same kind of guys you see crying on the bench after a playoff loss, and it is sickening. Jason Arnott got a concussion last year from a celebration that kept him out of the playoffs so no one can say the celebrations never hurt anyone. When Craig Forest didn’t celebrate after stopping that penalty kick and told everyone to get the F-up field and finish the gameit gave me so much respect for the man. Let your game do the talking, there is plenty of time to celebrate at the end of a game when you have won.

What a poor example with Forrest stopping that PK, first he wasn't allowed at that time to make more than 6 step and also had 6 seconds to get rid of the ball. This is apple and orange.

Caught a glimpes of Pratt & Taylor's show the other day. A quote from one of their guest ( didn't catch his name ) really stood out for me.

The guest mentioned the hypocracy of Cherry blasting players who are emotional and demonstative yet at the same time, everything about Don Cherry's ego and personality is about drawing attendtion to himself. For example:

1- clothing style

2- the number of times he states " I told you so".

etc.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

What a poor example with Forrest stopping that PK, first he wasn't allowed at that time to make more than 6 step and also had 6 seconds to get rid of the ball. This is apple and orange.

Incorrect, everyone else on that team knew the rules and when he stopped it they acted like they already won the game. Forrest had the presence of mind to know A) They hadn’t won yet and they still had a job to do, B) If he had celebrated with the players at that point it would have put the team at a disadvantage. Celebrating like an idiot does have its disadvantages, if Forrest broke those rules then we might be talking about how celebrating has its disadvantages ;).

The NFL was smart and tired to put an end to the over the top celebrations and who could blame them? If you saw the video the one guy doing the Adam West Batman that sort of thing has to stop.

Anyway since Cherry didn't discuss our National team or any of our players this should be moved to the off topic board.

I still see a big difference, since you don't really have time to celebrate after a PK save while you always have time to celebrate after a goal.

I'm pretty sure if Forrest had scored a goal in his career he would've celebrate like everyone else.

Celbration is OK unless it becomes like it was in the NFL. Nothing distasteful in what Ovechkin is doing. Just happy to celebrate a goal and the NHL players I've heard on this issue aren't feeling disrespect so it's just Cherry showing up is anti-Euro side...

quote:Originally posted by finchster

Now the winner can celebrate however he wants and the loser has to sit there and take it? Ovechkin acts like he won the Stanley Cup every goal scored, some people call it entertainment I call it poor sportsmanship.

Lighten up, Francis. He's having fun. He's not giving the opposition players noogies, screaming 1 inch from their face, or being a jackass. He loves the game. I had a guy celebrate after scoring against me on Tuesday night in indoor football. I was upset for all of 2 seconds before I got pissed off at myself for letting in a poor angle shot.

quote:Just because Cherry had some black players at the end of the video celebrating is in no way is racism. If the Footage is from the u20’s CBC would have had that footage to use, along with the Edu footage at the beginning.

You've completely missed where the racism fits in this discussion.

quote:When Craig Forest didn’t celebrate after stopping that penalty kick and told everyone to get the F-up field and finish the game it gave me so much respect for the man. Let your game do the talking, there is plenty of time to celebrate at the end of a game when you have won.

Seeing as the ball is in play and the game is not in a time-out situation after the save, why wouldn't he tell guys to get on with it and spare the celebrating? The game only would have paused if the penalty was scored, and you can be pretty certain the shooting player would have "celebrated" in some fashion.

Archived