Cherry: Canadian Way isn't to Follow Goofy Soccer

red card

In last Saturday's Coaches Corner, Cherry likened Ovechkin's celebration to goofy soccer players celebrating after a goal - while telling us this isn't the Canadian way.

A clip of soccer players celebrating is shown - including Edu taking off his shirt

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/

discussion starts around 3:15

National Post was quite hard on Cherry - though it was for his racist tones:

But it was the way Cherry presented his case that left the usual sour taste. Besides the usual anti-European bile - which should perhaps be toned down after Cherry's attempt to build a junior team in Mississauga without Europeans back in 1999, resulting in a team that won 16 games in three seasons - Cherry showed a montage of soccer players celebrating, and as it showed a group of four enthusiastic black players dancing close to the camera, Cherry said, "Now watch this, look at this - this is what we want our hockey players to act like?"

http://www.nationalpost.com/most-popular/story.html?id=1345967

I love to point out to sports types who hate soccer because of the dives that the Great Gretz himself admitted to it on Don Cherry's Grapevine. He said it was his way to create space for himself.

Most hockey fans overlook that while complaining about it in soccer endlessly.

The only interesting thing for me was that TFC featured so prominently in his clip given MLSE's involvement. The "be a Canadian" stuff takes on a whole new angle because of that and I wonder what the likes of Richard Peddie and Tom Anselmi made of that. Beyond that it's all one big jealousy and spite driven whine because he only ever got to play one game in the NHL. It clearly absolutely kills him to have to watch Russian, Swedish, Czech etc players succeeding at what he failed to achieve. He appeared to me to be strongly hinting in that clip that Ovechkin should be seriously injured by a Canadian kid although he is always intelligent enough not to be explicit about stuff like that. Real lowest common denominator stuff. Why the CBC keeps him on air at this point is beyond me.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The only interesting thing for me was that TFC featured so prominently in his clip given MLSE's involvement. The "be a Canadian" stuff takes on a whole new angle because of that and I wonder what the likes of Richard Peddie and Tom Anselmi made of that. Beyond that it's all one big jealousy and spite driven whine because he only ever got to play one game in the NHL. It clearly absolutely kills him to have to watch Russian, Swedish, Czech etc players succeeding at what he failed to achieve. He appeared to me to be strongly hinting in that clip that Ovechkin should be seriously injured by a Canadian kid although he is always intelligent enough not to be explicit about stuff like that. Real lowest common denominator stuff. Why the CBC keeps him on air at this point is beyond me.

It's the fact that we're all talking about him, and will tune in next week to see what he says next.

I don't hear anybody talking about what P.J. Stock or Kelly Hrudey had to say between periods.

of course, grapes only sees what he wants to see.

what about when soccer players, following a goal, always pick the ball out of the net and run for the quick restart if they still need another goal.

(go to 1:55)

Same thing here. Watch Forrest tell everyone who wants to celebrate to get out.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4132228

(go to -1:20)

No celebrating, no nothing. its these types of things that make our game great. How can cherry attack the character of soccer players? what a goof.

While Cherry ripped soccer in this segment, I remember him mentioning that he once went to the Glasgow derby and it was one of the greatest sporting experiences of his life. Obviously, Cheery is your stereotypical Canadian and hates on all the diving and stuff. But he said the Glasgow derby was a real mans game and if all soccer was like that, he would be a fan.

quote:Originally posted by red card

In last Saturday's Coaches Corner, Cherry likened Ovechkin's celebration to goofy soccer players celebrating after a goal - while telling us this isn't the Canadian way.

A clip of soccer players celebrating is shown - including Edu taking off his shirt

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/

discussion starts around 3:15

National Post was quite hard on Cherry - though it was for his racist tones:

But it was the way Cherry presented his case that left the usual sour taste. Besides the usual anti-European bile - which should perhaps be toned down after Cherry's attempt to build a junior team in Mississauga without Europeans back in 1999, resulting in a team that won 16 games in three seasons - Cherry showed a montage of soccer players celebrating, and as it showed a group of four enthusiastic black players dancing close to the camera, Cherry said, "Now watch this, look at this - this is what we want our hockey players to act like?"

http://www.nationalpost.com/most-popular/story.html?id=1345967

You are rather confused in your post. Cherry said the same things about Sidney Crosby and there wasn't a peep herd. Simply, he's not a fan of showboating.

I'm not a big fan of showboating either. But that is just a small part of Arthur's Post article. He dissects Cherry with surgical precision and about as well as I've seen anyone. I'd love to read more of what he's written.

I realize this may not be that pertinent to the discussion here, but I was talking to two of my teenaged, hockey playing nephews from Nova Scotia last summer and asked them who their favourite player was and they both said Ovechkin. I don't follow hockey like I used to but is Ovechkin that popular amongst school-aged Canadian hockey fans?

"Don Cherry?" Ovechkin said. "What I can say? He's a funny guy, old guy. He likes old-fashioned hockey, so he don't like probably my celebrations. He said a lot of stuff about [Atlanta all-star Ilya] Kovalchuk and me, so he ...I don't know. I don't want to talk about him. He's not interesting to me. He can say whatever he want. I don't care about him."

When I asked Ovechkin if he was angry about Cherry's comments, he added: "I just laughed when I saw his suits. He's funny. In hockey we need someone like that, someone who thinks I'm celebrating like soccer player. Maybe Canadians don't have soccer teams. Maybe he's jealous of Russia."

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

It's the fact that we're all talking about him, and will tune in next week to see what he says next.

I don't hear anybody talking about what P.J. Stock or Kelly Hrudey had to say between periods.

The fact that people are talking about him and listenning to his antics doesn't make it right to make comments like he did.

If Adolf Hitler was doing that segment on Hockey Night in Canada, people would be watching and talking about his analysis as well. ;)

Cherry is disgusting, saying he was buddy with Don Sanderson father to make his point about fighting showed how low he is.

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

Stephen Brunt gives his usual well thought-out take here:

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090303.wsptbrunt4/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Isn't there mandatory retirement at 65 at the CBC? It is time for Cherry to go. His act is tired and uninteresting.

It's the highest ratings CBC gets all week. I'm guessing.

It doesn't really matter if Don Cherry hates soccer because celebrations like the ones he showed is poor sportsmanship. What ever happened to the idea of being a bad loser and a bad winner? Now the winner can celebrate however he wants and the loser has to sit there and take it? Ovechkin acts like he won the Stanley Cup every goal scored, some people call it entertainment I call it poor sportsmanship. Just because Cherry had some black players at the end of the video celebrating is in no way is racism. If the Footage is from the u20’s CBC would have had that footage to use, along with the Edu footage at the beginning.

These are the same kind of guys you see crying on the bench after a playoff loss, and it is sickening. Jason Arnott got a concussion last year from a celebration that kept him out of the playoffs so no one can say the celebrations never hurt anyone. When Craig Forest didn’t celebrate after stopping that penalty kick and told everyone to get the F-up field and finish the gameit gave me so much respect for the man. Let your game do the talking, there is plenty of time to celebrate at the end of a game when you have won.

Archived