Ryan MCleod of Toronto FC

triniman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw him on highlights from last year's SUM tournament. He looked pretty good, but was not called for Canada's U17 team while 6 others from that team (including the 2 now on Whitecaps) were called.

Does he have ties to T & T?

• 2 weeks later...

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090316&content_id=226285&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

I'm starting to think there's more than the CSA's involvement in losing players. I'm really starting to believe that there is a lack of patriotism in this country. How many disloyal people reside in Toronto? I live here now and not a single person says they're Canadian. Want to stop the bleeding of players? Focus on player development outside TO.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Well the article reads like he was born and raised in T&T, and just came here for his soccer career.

Is that true?

I don't think so. The website lists his community as Mississauga and his previous club as Brampton East. Doesn't say anything about where he was born though.

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/youth/academy/junior_team/roster.jsp

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Did you guys bother to check if he is actually a Canadian citizen before making these kneejerk emotional responses? It's quite possible that T&T is his only country of citizenship and that he only has PR status.

What "kneejerk emotional responses"? I was making a dry observation about the irony of the spelling of "honor" and that a kid growing up,living & playing in Canada is apparently getting the honor of playing for "his country" which apparently isn't Canada.

Had I posted "McLeod is a traitorous whore" or something of that ilk then perhaps your comment would have some validity to it. Sheesh!

I was referring mainly to the "So is there a Brampton or Mississauga in T&T as well?" bit. Plenty of non-citizens live in Canada. Many do so for decades. There is nothing in immigration legislation that forces first generation immigrants to adopt Canadian citizenship and identity. Some do. Some don't. I suspect you are probably rational enough to grasp that fact most of the time. Think you guys should find out for sure what his status is that way before making these kinds of comments.

Thanks for the advice. When somebody starts a thread in the "Men's National Team & Players" section of the forum about a player who already had been called up to T&T National team camps (and I suspect the original poster knew that), I'm not waiting around to ask permission to be a little sarcastic in my response.

And while I'm here, this whole thread should be moved to the TFC forum, as its the only way it appears to be relevant to this entire discussion board.

quote:Originally posted by triniman

Does anyone have information on this player? He plays for the TFC academy under 16 team ... has anyone ever seen him play?

14 McLeod, Ryan M/F Brampton East Mississauga

Do you have any information on him? Such as his place of birth or his ties to T&T?

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090316&content_id=226285&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

I'm starting to think there's more than the CSA's involvement in losing players. I'm really starting to believe that there is a lack of patriotism in this country. How many disloyal people reside in Toronto? I live here now and not a single person says they're Canadian. Want to stop the bleeding of players? Focus on player development outside TO.

Although I'm not from toronto, I can imagine that alot of residents of that city are NON-CANADIANS. That is just the nature of the beast, so we shouldn't be surprised that people have a lack of patriotism for Canada. This isn't even their country.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

"There is no bigger honor than to play for your country"

I suppose its fitting that "honor" was not spelt the correct Canadian way.

So is there a Brampton or Mississauga in T&T as well?

Nope, but I heard there is a Brampton in Punjab. [B)]

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

I'm starting to think there's more than the CSA's involvement in losing players. I'm really starting to believe that there is a lack of patriotism in this country. How many disloyal people reside in Toronto?

You cant say its a lack of patriotism, like someone said, you dont even know where he was born...

Nevertheless, if he is residing in Canada he is more than likely a citizen or applicable for Canadian citizenship. Therefore, its the CSA associations fault for not going for him first.

If given the chance between Canada and T and T, who knows who he'd pick...

Its the CSA fault and their lack of expertise in talent scouting...end of story.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE, THEY MAKE BAD CHOICES IN PLAYERS.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

OH and I just wanted to say...

It's everyone's country...and its our multicultural heritage which makes this country probably the greatest on this earth.

I am a second gerneation italian with alot of my family still there.

I was born in the states and spent the first 10 years of my life in there.

When I moved here at a young age I realized how great Canada is, especially from my experiences on the soccer field. In the states, we were to consider ourselves American, in Canada we are encouraged to hold our country in close regard...

When I visit Italy, its always my second home as well as a great soccer nation, but I realize that if we get our program together and use our multicultural character to our benefit, we can play on a global stage of soccer.

quote:Originally posted by sergiop3

You cant say its a lack of patriotism, like someone said, you dont even know where he was born...

Nevertheless, if he is residing in Canada he is more than likely a citizen or applicable for Canadian citizenship. Therefore, its the CSA associations fault for not going for him first.

If given the chance between Canada and T and T, who knows who he'd pick...

Its the CSA fault and their lack of expertise in talent scouting...end of story.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE, THEY MAKE BAD CHOICES IN PLAYERS.

Its the CSA's fault for not going after some random kid no one on this board has ever even heard of? Give me a break.

We can't cap every person in Canada, and if he was born in Canada, raised in Canada, and feels he's more Trini, then good riddance. I'm sick and tired of us whining over players that lack the one true quality that I expect Canadians to play with. HEART!

There are a lot of presumptive posts on this thread. Let's remember that a) we don't know what citizenship(s) he carries and B) we don't know how good he is. Maybe we should wait and find out more facts before we call out both he and the CSA.

Archived