Cities without clubs

dagm

Yea Calgary & Edmonton at 1+ million each (Cal slightly larger) hold that distinction. We do have the Callies who are 2 time national champs (going for 3!). There is also the CMISL/PASL arena league in both cities. So there is some soccer stuff happening. Would be nice to see PDL or higher here.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

With the interest in soccer in the province of Québec it's surprising not to see another pro club in this province. Québec city would be great.

If the MTL Impact weren't playing hardball with the Quebec City people we would've had had a men's club in the PDL this summer. But Saputo has an exclusivity clause for the whole province.

The irony is that MTL people were complaining about the TFC exclusivity clause and now MTL is using theirs....

The Prairies are certainly not a no fly zone. Check out the Manitoba Major Soccer League. I live in Brandon Manitoba. We live in a town of 62000 people. We have 2 Leagues. A Men's 1st and Second Division, as well as a Latino League. Currently Brandon and Area has over 23 mens teams. For our numbers we do alright. Then take Winnipeg, With over 7 Divisions at 10 clubs per division, it is very competitive. Unfortunately The prairies are a bit slower to embrace professionalism, but it will happen within the next 10 years. Keep my fingers crossed.;)

quote:Originally posted by Taso

The Prairies are certainly not a no fly zone. Check out the Manitoba Major Soccer League. I live in Brandon Manitoba. We live in a town of 62000 people. We have 2 Leagues. A Men's 1st and Second Division, as well as a Latino League. Currently Brandon and Area has over 23 mens teams. For our numbers we do alright. Then take Winnipeg, With over 7 Divisions at 10 clubs per division, it is very competitive. Unfortunately The prairies are a bit slower to embrace professionalism, but it will happen within the next 10 years. Keep my fingers crossed.;)

When I say the praries are a no fly zone, I mean in terms of embracing professional (or even semi-professional) soccer.

There is no doubt that there are alot of amateur clubs in the Praries (and some VERY good clubs in fact). somehow, though, the popularity of the game at the grassroots level needs to start translating into high level, elite senior soccer programs so that the sport doesn't effectively end for the best players at 16 or 17 if they don't score a scholarship to the US.

When I say the praries are a no fly zone, I mean in terms of embracing professional (or even semi-professional) soccer.

There is no doubt that there are alot of amateur clubs in the Praries (and some VERY good clubs in fact). somehow, though, the popularity of the game at the grassroots level needs to start translating into high level, elite senior soccer programs so that the sport doesn't effectively end for the best players at 16 or 17 if they don't score a scholarship to the US.

Melnyk and Senators Sports and Entertainment should be looking at a USL franchise, not an MLS franchise!

I don't know how many times teams need to come to this city and fail! I don't wish to see soccer be the sport that gets the axe next in this city - it deserves better. MLS teams should be awarded to Vancouver and Montreal and then other American cities (St. Louis, Atlanta, San Francisco) before the league even CONSIDERS a franchise in Ottawa. I am appalled that Melnyk has managed to take his bid this far.

Instead of buying an MLS franchise, Melnyk would be very wise to invest in a USL team. That way he (and the rest of the city and the MLS) could see what sort of supporters show up. If they only get 2,000 fans out to a USL game an MLS team would not garner more than 10,000 - and that's being VERY generous.

Placing an MLS team in Ottawa is a BAD idea! I want a USL-1 team for the nation's capital!

Archived