MLS. Everything Expansion!

Cheeta

I think the problem with the thread is that if there is something new that has broken, it can get lost in the shuffle. What the site really needs is a subdirectory of MLS Expansion, where people can post individual threads on seperate MLS expansion topics.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What am I missing here? I'm not following why so many have their panties in a knot.

I've not really seen anything posted by "spiral" that should cause so much venom in here? I've actually gleaned a lot of info from the stuff he has posted. If he hadn't been posting this stuff, I'm not convinced this board would be exposed to anything related to MLS expansion.

Interesting point about Beckham's possible ownership of an MLS franchise from ESPN Soccernet

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=626597&sec=global&root=global&cc=5901

"Where would Beckham look to set-up a new franchise? With his family are settled in LA cities like Ottawa, Portland, St Louis and Vancouver, who are all understood to be hoping to join the MLS in the 2011 expansion, would not be as attractive as mooted franchise bids from either San Diego or Las Vegas."

I wonder if old golden balls could negatively impact any future Canadian expansion hopes just by wanting a piece of the action (and thus lending a lot of star power to what would otherwise be an untenable bid).

Breaking news from MLS Rumors:

It may be a cold day in Cascadia but the news is heating things up substantially.

All eyes are on the Pacific Northwest today as the crucial Portland City Council vote which is literally, one vote away from an MLS club takes place at 12:30PM Eastern, Vancouver Whitecaps and MLS continue to prepare to make an announcement and Seattle Sounder FC continues to gear up for this season.

The audio below from Vancouver radio assures us that the city has been chosen by the league and all that remains to be done is an official announcement. Club officials who were supposed to be abroad with the team in the east African nation of Tanzania, have stayed back in Vancouver, indicating that an announcement may be imminent:

Where do the Winterhawks play: Memorial Coliseum or Rose Garden?

Cause if they're gonna tear down the Memorial Coliseum to make way for the new Beavers stadium, the Winterhawks will have to be playing in the Rose Garden full time

Story on Soccernet right now that Anhueser Busch (spelling undoubtedly wrong....its the beer company) has joined up with the St. Louis bid. Seems like marignal participation right now - apparently offering their soccer centre as a site for future stadium, but may get some attention at MLS headquarters.

From what I read, this is simply initial step in a chain of steps that need to happen for the stadium(s) and the funding for them to be approved. Big issue is that Paulsen at the first hurdle now has to find an additional $15m before getting over the next hurdles at city council there. And from the sound of the quote below from the city lawyer, nothing is binding.

Not sure how MLS could award a franchise on this basis as they are not much farther along than Ottawa. But then again, the MLS has done stupider things. And perhaps they could do it conditionally.

Lawyers quote:

""It's not an agreement, it's an outline of business terms," Janik said.

The document before the council contains many contingencies, Janik said, and the council doesn't have to go forward if the finances cannot be worked out.

Janik also said the council will have to vote on several parts of the package over the spring and summer, including creating a new urban renewal area, selling bonds and approving design plans and construction contracts.

"This is an exceptionally fair deal for the city and for taxpayers," Paulson told the council during the hearing. "If you love Portland as I do, (this) revitalizes an area ripe for redevelopment and showcases this city to the nation and the world."

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If this is spiral I think we should put an end to this now, it is just a glut of news stories about MLS expansion, not a single post about the game of soccer anywhere.

Sorry to disappoint you. I'm not Spiral. And I believe this is an expansion thread, which is to discuss the expansion.

Archived