MLS. Everything Expansion!

Cheeta

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's someone's interpretation of the matter:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!:

imo, here's what i think happened: barca didnt exactly say they were gonna quit, but looked at the state of the economy and said that if they determine that in the next couple weeks (before the middle of march when the annoncement is planned... thats what they ment by "there is still time to pull the plug") if the project clearly no longer has a chance to succeed then they will pull out. first, garber spoke to them to try to reassure them, and then claure flew out to spain to make sure that they were still on board. after meeting with them, claure seemed very optimistic and said his poorly translated "announcement should come within hours" comment... whatever that means, i dunno. maybe he meant a couple of weeks. but it appears to me that everything is fine with barca-miami, or else claure wouldn't have acted that way.

EXPANSION: Don Garber Visited Barcelona To Reassure Them of Success, No Miami Announcement Today

rough translation:

"From yesterday to today would say that I am not optimistic about this project that's to say that there is a 50% chance, there are economic differences from the MLS, currently the treatment has to be different, since the economic picture changes if David Beckham does not return to the MLS, "says Claure.

"I think the MLS needs to do an analysis on what would be the benefit to Barcelona of Spain in the League. The project in general was seen as something positive, but by analyzing in detail the situation changes. I think in this case the league, although Beckham represents economic figures, it should consider what more what it can mean to have an institution like the Barca to MLS, there is a big difference with a player, "said Bolivian businessman.

Claure said despite his "sudden" lack of optimism it is time to explain how he intends (or intended) to build the team in Miami ...

We wanted to form an Ibero-American team, with players from Bolivia, Spain, Colombia, Venezuela, etc.. I believe that to succeed in Miami try to form a team of players including Latinos, who the fans are reflected in this team, obviously the team should have a Spanish touch, with players from Spain and of course players from the USA. We have to include the Americans, because the League allows only have 8 foreign players per team.

Second time Miami has turned it's back on the league. Great sports model. We'll put a team there and fill it with latinos from Spain and South America, completely ignoring the latinos that make up the market. Cuban and Mexican. A recipe for disaster. They should never consider Miami again. It's a finicky market.

quote:Originally posted by Grandstander

Second time Miami has turned it's back on the league. Great sports model. We'll put a team there and fill it with latinos from Spain and South America, completely ignoring the latinos that make up the market. Cuban and Mexican. A recipe for disaster. They should never consider Miami again. It's a finicky market.

Miami had their chance in the MLS with the fusion in 1996. They blew it. Give other cities a go Garber. And to Barca: back another team! Why Miami????

Can someone confirm this from MLS Rumours about this report?

We do not have video of this (if anyone does, send us a link please), but just moments ago on Fox Soccer Channel's, Fox Soccer Report, Max Bretos in his Maximum Soccer segment stated that Portland and Vancouver are now the two front runners now that the Miami is out of the hunt, confirming earlier reports.

He went on to say that the league relishes the idea of a 3-way derby in the Pacific Northwest. All three sides have a 30 year history of rivalry and there is no doubt that Portland would likely sell out every game. Likewise Vancouver has drawn historically large crowds and seems set to do so once again

Portland and Vancouver would be unbelievable, but with Portland's stadium problems and the fact that their city council, uniquely in the northern world, seems to have a set of testicles, I find it hard to believe they'll be able to get in.

My prediction: by the end of this, Garber is going to really, really wish they'd taken what Saputo was offering.

MLS Board of Governors (the owners) are standing firm on the $ 40 million expansion fee requirement. There's no readjusting or renegotiating going on.

It's $ 40 million or you don't get in.

You just can't change the rules halfway through the game and keep your credibility.

And NO Saputo shouldn't be allowed to wiggle in by paying less than $ 40 million. How's that fair to Vancouver?

And NO St. Louis isn't going to wiggle in by only paying $ 9 million.

Can anyone confirm that Kerfoot, Lenarduzzi and Steve Nash will be in Seattle on March 18 for the announcement?

Well here's a followup on Spiral's misleading post regarding Portland (outside of this thread created for him).

Paulson has reached a deal with the mayor & one of the commissioners. They still need one more council vote to get the stadium done.

And here's the video.

http://www.kgw.com/video/index.html?nvid=339925&shu=1

Yeesh...I don't understand why it's so difficult for some people to use this thread?

Archived