Portland MLS Update...

Calgary Boomer

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

The Timbers owner was at the State capital today, trying to convince politicians that the taxes his MLS players will pay...can over the course of several years equal the cost of Stadium renovations.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/02/major_league_soccer_goes_to_sa.html

Maybe after 80 years of taxes, but not anytime soon!

quote:Originally posted by spiral

Paulson is now backing up the bonds and insulating the taxpayers, something the City wanted.

I think Vancouver is toast. No wonder Lenarduzzi never says anything

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1235543105152930.xml&coll=7

Think!

If he had the money, why not pay for everything himself. He doesn't. You think the City of Portland is so stupid as to lend this guy 85 million of taxpayer money on a "promise to pay"? I know we're talking about a city with a mayor who shags children, so anything is possible, but come on.

Paulson is now backing up the bonds and insulating the taxpayers, something the City wanted.

I think Vancouver is toast. No wonder Lenarduzzi never says anything

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1235543105152930.xml&coll=7

We'll ask Bob that question, whether he thinks Vancouver is toast in the MLS on Sunday at 10pm when he joins us on Full-Time, Vancouver's Soccer Show. Plus the 'Caps upcoming trip to Africa for the Pre-Season.

BTW - I'm pretty sure say he'll say that Vancouver still has as good a chance as any of the teams and that their bid speaks for themselves. Perhaps that is why they are always so quiet.

Am hearing this evening that the votes may not be there.

Mayor Sam, the one in the middle of the Sex Scandal, is wavering.

The "Task Force" voted 17 - 1 Yes, but obviously it's the Commissioners votes that count. There's 5 that vote and 3 Yesses are needed to pass

Got a question for you Calgary Boomer...

since you seem so sure Vancouver is a "lock"

why would the MLS wait till mid March to give Portland sufficient time to get their Stadium proposals through City Council...

and then turn Portland down?

Could you please explain the rationale?

And don't say they'll give to us and Portland. You know that won't happen. It'll be an East and a West.

I'm asking you cause you're such an expert. Thanks.

Here's the Rally in Portland today supporting the Timbers in MLS and getting City Council to support upgrades to PGE Park.

You'd think Vancouver fans could organize something like this to support the Whitecaps bid.

No, here people are either preoccupied with the Canucks or have their heads up their asses

3317352993_cf96cd5f37.jpg

Yes let's organize a Vancouver march to...uh, um march? Even though the Vancouver bid has been submitted with all angles covered. If a few hundred fans are enough to convince Portland's council to spend 85 million, tax money from 600k people...well I hope that ***** council can live with themselves when the owner goes belly up. The fact that he only has money for the fee is a f***ing warning sign if I ever saw one.

Paulson is the son of the U.S. Treasury Secretary. Fascinating.

Actually Paulson is saying in the media that he is backing up the bonds and will be responsible for the money if the league or team should fold, which takes taxpayers off the hook.

Though there's nothing in writing yet apparently. The Mayor didn't sound too encouraging on Friday.

The City and State are swamped with economic issues. Oregon schools are underfunded and some schools are either closing, falling apart, teachers laid off, bigger classrooms, all kinds of **** going on.

Sam Adams is in the middle of a Sex Scandal and will likely face a Recall vote in June where he could be forcefully thrown out.

He can appease a lot of taxpayers who want him gone by voting AGAINST the stadium funding in light of all the other cutbacks going on.

but he's only one vote on a council of 5 so the suspense is building...

Why don't some of the Southsiders put on a show of support for the local bid like your brothers down in Portland do?

So me suggesting a march to back up the local bid indicates I'm empty upstairs?

Your efforts for the Waterfront Stadium are appreciated, but that is a long term project; the more immediate concern is getting into the MLS.

Paulson is the son of the U.S. Treasury Secretary. Fascinating.

Actually Paulson is saying in the media that he is backing up the bonds and will be responsible for the money if the league or team should fold, which takes taxpayers off the hook.

Though there's nothing in writing yet apparently. The Mayor didn't sound too encouraging on Friday.

The City and State are swamped with economic issues. Oregon schools are underfunded and some schools are either closing, falling apart, teachers laid off, bigger classrooms, all kinds of **** going on.

Sam Adams is in the middle of a Sex Scandal and will likely face a Recall vote in June where he could be forcefully thrown out.

He can appease a lot of taxpayers who want him gone by voting AGAINST the stadium funding in light of all the other cutbacks going on.

but he's only one vote on a council of 5 so the suspense is building...

Spiral, how old are you? Seriously? If you think that a decision to give franchise a franchise or not would pivot on whether or not there was a march by a few hundred supporters, you must also be the type of person who is distracted by bright lights.

In addition, the current US Treasury Secretary is not Henry Paulson, but Timothy Geithner.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

So what if Spiral is 8-years old...Are you going to discriminate against juvenile delinquents...They have rights too just like anybody else. In fact, Spiral happens to be my drinking buddy.

No, quite the opposite, Luis. If it turns out that Spiral is 8 years old, then the content and style of his posts becomes understandable and I would laud him for having had the courage to post on a forum where the average intellectual acuity is well beyond that of an 8-year old. Bravo, young spiral!

As for being your drinking buddy, I sense that he is more than that; your alter ego maybe?

Right. Henry Paulson. Isn't he the creep that handed $ 300 billion (the infamous TARP) to the big U.S. banks to spend anyway they want without having to go public how the money is spent or without a requirement to open up credit lines?

Or reduce mortgage payments so people can hold onto their homes?

Yeah right, Merritt Paulson is his son. That's interesting.

And we're to believe that Merritt is fiscally more responsible than his Dad?

If Merritt handles finances likes his Dad does, he has no business being in the MLS.

And I'd sure like to know how Merritt made all his money aside from being born with a silver spoon in his mouth

Now I'm even more suspicious than ever before

You're constantly contradicting yourself it's annoying. As I said earlier. He has no money now. So the city should put 85 mil. taxpayer dollars on the line for a promise to pay? What if he can't and declares bankruptcy? This is almost the same situation as St. Louis. Where's the deep pocket owner?

What the F are you talking Paulson has no money? Read the article below!

He's gonna pay the $ 40 million expansion fee.

And if he's the son of Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson like everyone says he apparently is and his Dad is handing out $ 300 Billion to the big banks to survive, how do you figure he won't have enough money for his son's soccer venture?

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_030109_sports_soccer_portland.166533d3.html

Archived