Miami USL team on brink of folding

spiral

I'll reinforce that by saying Miami's average attendance for USL games is a measley 1700 per game.

Granted the stadium is in Ft. Lauderdale, but I don't see a solution for their situation.

Pleading with the fans like that generally gets you a laugh.

Mabey 5 cents and a note of appreciation.

If people aren't interested in your product, for whatever reason, crying and pleading gets you nowhere.

Bob Lenarduzzi must feel like hiding his head after this story.

quote:Originally posted by spiral

Granted the stadium is in Ft. Lauderdale, but I don't see a solution for their situation.

This factual error will not come as a shock to anyone. Miami FC plays (played) at Tropical Park in Miami.

The Miami Fusion played at Lockart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale. It's since been torn down.

I think you're the one who needs to hide his head.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

This is why I've always been dead set against another Miami MLS team. Miami doesn't support pro sports other than American, football. They failed with their first MLS team. There are other far more deserving cities. Miami is not a soccer town.

Miami Heat

NBA: 17th in the league with 17,729

-- Toronto is 8th with 19,022

Florida Marlins (Very close and ****e stadium, new one coming)

MLB: 30th in the league with 16,668

-- Toronto is 18th with 29,626

Florida Panthers (close to Miami, closer then Kanata to Ottawa)

NHL: 26th in the league 15,227

-- Toronto is 6th with 19,296. ACC is too small

Miami Dolphins

NFL: 18th in the league with 65,489. 2nd lowest % in the league!

-- Buffalo is 7th with 71,405

Basically, the city does not like its sports.

I like the FC website; hell it's better than the caps site, more Colour!

http://www.miamifc.com/index.php

Not sure how these FC people think they're remain if Miami should get MLS.

They must be negotiating some partnership deal.

Funny how FC is banging the drums now with Barca and Claude raising their voices about MLS...

they act like North Korea having another temper tantrum

Traffic Group may close down the USl Team but I doubt it will exit their participation in Florida youth soccer because that would be their core business on the soccer side of their business in North America. If they do close down the USL team, don't be surprised if Traffic takes a role in the MLS team.

No one should underestimate the influence of Traffic Group in the football management and media business.

When does Garber announce the winning bid? March?

Yeah I know they're going to voluntarily close down the USL operation to help MLS happen.

Makes sense.

Those cheerleaders look mmmmmaaaarrrrrrrrvelous.

MLS Season starts March 19 in Seattle so I expect a Decision by then after the good folks in Portland vote to deny upgrades to PGE Park

No Calgary Boomer smartass, Lockhart Stadium has not been torn down. That's a fact.

Another fact is soccer if possibly gasping its last breaths in a critical markert in North America, and that's not good for anyone involved in helping soccer flourish.

Read this article so we can all educate ourselves about the plight the Fusion face and to a larger extent the plight the entire United Soccer league faces.

You may be thinking of the Orange Bowl that was heavily damaged by a hurricane. But Lockhart is alive and kicking, baking in the summer sun:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/923083.html

How often have we been down this road. A team in USL in jeopardy. Why is it always before the season starts? This is not good for the USL. They have a team coming to Tampa in 2010, the Puerto Rico Islanders would lose their closest rival.

This is why the Impact, Whitecaps and Timbers need to get into MLS. USL looks so bush league and unstable in comparison.

Not to mention all the hoopla over moving the Championship Game from Puerto Rico to Swangard on such short notice and under such disguise and secrecy.

It was great for Vancouver having the game here; my point is, it's wrong on the basis of principal.

You don't just change the rules halfway through the game.

Assuming Barca remains on board with Claure and MLS moves forward with Miami, would that cause Tampa the same pain and wouldn't Tampa follow this same road of uncertainty next year?

quote:Originally posted by spiral

Not to mention all the hoopla over moving the Championship Game from Puerto Rico to Swangard on such short notice and under such disguise and secrecy.

It was great for Vancouver having the game here; my point is, it's wrong on the basis of principal.

You don't just change the rules halfway through the game.

Assuming Barca remains on board with Claure and MLS moves forward with Miami, would that cause Tampa the same pain and wouldn't Tampa follow this same road of uncertainty next year?

Wow, spiral! I never thought I'd agree with you on anything.

Calgary boomer: Would it be better that a team folds during the season?

Archived