Jump to content

Montreal rumoured to be Canadian MLS bid winner


spiral

Recommended Posts

I don't know what the hell is going on here but MLS Rumors says Montreal will be the Canadian MLS bid winner.

That seems to shut Vancouver out.

I thought Montreal had withdrew but with all this hype over teh CONCACAF game and Garber being in Montreal, I'm not surprised.

A crowd of 45,000 does convince the MLS that Canada should deserve a second MLS franchise.

From www.mls-rumors.net:

PACKED STADIUM

Over 45,000 seats have been sold at Olympic Stadium, with a sellout being a distinct possibility.

Regardless, the hype is there -- hype for a fairytale run by an unassuming team. The format of the tournament has been revised under the model of the European Champions League with the winner receiving a spot in the World Club Championship.

The history and its spot in Canadian soccer is being written before our eyes. The Canadian club teams and the Canadian Soccer Association have come together to give the Voyageurs Cup and this tournament meaning, but the supporters are the ones who have given it life.

Additionally, we just received the following anonymous email which seems to back up two earlier reports.

I have a very reliable source within the Montreal Impact front office that tells me that Montreal is almost set to be 1 of the 2 teams that will enter MLS in 2011. Right after he told me so, I heard the news of the possible bid withdrawal from Barcelona Miami. He also stated "We are in active discussions with MLS concerning our possible entry and the way we are gonna pay it..." MLS seems to be very interested in the upcoming concacaf game at the olympic stadium and that could be a sign that what my source told me was indeed true. I wish to remain anonymus because obviously, I was supposed to keep my mouth shut on this matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Backing up your bid with a huge crowd like that is what can put you over the top.

So it's perfect timing for Saputo to go all out here, pay the $ 40 million U.S. contract, and get the team in MLS.

You certainly can't deny the fact that Montreal now has a leg up on Vancouver. They've got:

- an outdoor stadium

- twice the population

- the bigest crowds in the USL or close to that

What more does Saputo need?

It's also an opportunity for Garber to do some fence mending. he realizes now that he should've taken Montreal more seriously!

CONGRATULATIONS MONTREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by spiral

Backing up your bid with a huge crowd like that is what can put you over the top.

So it's perfect timing for Saputo to go all out here, pay the $ 40 million U.S. contract, and get the team in MLS.

You certainly can't deny the fact that Montreal now has a leg up on Vancouver. They've got:

- an outdoor stadium

- twice the population

- the bigest crowds in the USL or close to that

What more does Saputo need?

It's also an opportunity for Garber to do some fence mending. he realizes now that he should've taken Montreal more seriously!

CONGRATULATIONS MONTREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are the possibilities of both Montreal and Vancouver...As far as I'm concern, Portland can't even get their stadium on the go, whereas the renovations of BC Place have already started.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and Portland hasn't even sorted out where the new Stadium for the AAA Beavers will be.

Or even for how long they'll have to share PGE Park with an MLS team.

The funding is still in question as Paulson doesn't want to back up the bonds in the event of default, a requirement that City of Portland is demanding.

They have a Mayor Sam Adams in the middle of a Sex scandal who's facing a Recall Vote in June and half of Portland's residents want him to resign.

Portland doesn't even have a legitimate Mayor. His vote is useless on Council as the MLS is seeing right through this smokescreen.

Portland is however still a threat to us I feel.

Montreal and Vancouver together just seems unlikely unless they want to throw in Miami...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Maybe Saputo doesn't want to relinquish 51% of his franchise at a cost of $40 million. That's what I struggle the most with, that that huge fee will only purchase half a team.

One of the few valid points in the thread. The entry fee may not be negotiable, but this point might be.

A similar situation is happening in Vancouver, where the Whitecaps spend a small fortune on developing their residency program. Under MLS's current rules, they'd have no claim to the player's they are developing. That's a big issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

One of the few valid points in the thread. The entry fee may not be negotiable, but this point might be.

A similar situation is happening in Vancouver, where the Whitecaps spend a small fortune on developing their residency program. Under MLS's current rules, they'd have no claim to the player's they are developing. That's a big issue.

We'll they wouldn't have "no claim" on those players. They would have less of a claim (basically one a year).

And saying that you are buying "half a team" is more than a tad bit simplified. You're buying 1/18th of a league. Yes, you share your profits but your losses are also protected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

We'll they wouldn't have "no claim" on those players. They would have less of a claim (basically one a year).

And saying that you are buying "half a team" is more than a tad bit simplified. You're buying 1/18th of a league. Yes, you share your profits but your losses are also protected.

Valid points, but 1 year isn't enough when you have 25-30 players you're funding, and there's still more to lose in Montreal, because they can have the exact same kind of crowd support in their current set-up, without a salary cap and 40 million dollar expansion fee, and a manditory sponsorship deal with Adidas etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MLS were invited by Joey Saputo to be part of the more then 50,000 people for the Impact Santos Match on wednesday, but they declined. The Impact also mentioned that both the New York Times and USA Today called to know how many tickets were sold, So MLS is aware of what is going on even if they will not be present.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/soccer/200902/24/01-830731-limpact-au-stade-olympique-le-debut-dune-nouvelle-aventure.php

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

MLS were invited by Joey Saputo to be part of the more then 50,000 people for the Impact Santos Match on wednesday, but they declined. The Impact also mentioned that both the New York Times and USA Today called to know how many tickets were sold, So MLS is aware of what is going on even if they will not be present.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/soccer/200902/24/01-830731-limpact-au-stade-olympique-le-debut-dune-nouvelle-aventure.php

Representatives of MLS will be on site:

http://www.corussports.com/impact/impact_24h_match-20090224-1434233.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

So a third hand report (I got an e-mail from a guy who knows a guy...) posted on the least reliable soccer web site in North America is cause for celebration?

Montreal could get itself back into the conversation--IF IT AGREES TO PAY THE ASKING PRICE.

As a fan I don't want Saputo to do it under these terms. All our success has come from the fact that he knows how to run a soccer club autonomously and in the face of media ignorance and competition from the Canadiens among other challenges. I'm scared if he relinquishes total control. I don't want to pay twice as much for my season tix just so we can add one or two disinterested foreign players and face SOME superior opponents to what we face in the USL, then have a limited little roster, dog-tired as they try to compete in compressed and ill-conceived schedules. We'd much rather continue to be a big fish in a small pond with a 100% owner who knows what he's doing. Also with the revenue from the CL matches the USL not having a salary cap is an exciting prospect. I'm not anti-MLS at all, I'm anti giving up what we have here in terms of superb ownership and amazing ticket value.

Just a gut reaction from a fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Keano

As a fan I don't want Saputo to do it under these terms. All our success has come from the fact that he knows how to run a soccer club autonomously and in the face of media ignorance and competition from the Canadiens among other challenges. I'm scared if he relinquishes total control. I don't want to pay twice as much for my season tix just so we can add one or two disinterested foreign players and face SOME superior opponents to what we face in the USL, then have a limited little roster, dog-tired as they try to compete in compressed and ill-conceived schedules. We'd much rather continue to be a big fish in a small pond with a 100% owner who knows what he's doing. Also with the revenue from the CL matches the USL not having a salary cap is an exciting prospect. I'm not anti-MLS at all, I'm anti giving up what we have here in terms of superb ownership and amazing ticket value.

Just a gut reaction from a fan.

The more and more I think about it, I have been having the same feelings about the Whitecaps. There are too many things about MLS that I do not like and I don't know if the pluses the league does have are really worth it. I want them to get their house in order first before Kerfoot goes and pays $40 million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by masster

The more and more I think about it, I have been having the same feelings about the Whitecaps. There are too many things about MLS that I do not like and I don't know if the pluses the league does have are really worth it. I want them to get their house in order first before Kerfoot goes and pays $40 million.

Thanks, didn't know if I was crazy or not. To me, the spectacle will be the same, possibly even worse because we could lose that home-grown, local feel, AND WAY MORE EXPENSIVE. Again could just be paranoia, not wanting to risk what we've built here, but that's the feeling certainly among the fans I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like how he says, "if it comes down to a more INTERESTING figure then we'll see." That's what we like about Saputo. 20 mil for the franchise and 20 mil for the stadium expansion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...