World Cup 2010 Countdown: Canadians Show Up

Sam

From http://canadianstretty.blogspot.com/2009/02/world-cup-2010-countdown-where-were-you.html

"Canadians have the ninth highest number of 216,975 ticket applications. These people are more willing to spend the cash to fly to South Africa, buy a match ticket and a hotel at insanely inflated price than spend $10, $20, $30 on a Canadian World Cup Qualifier. Where were you when the Hondurans embarrassed us in Montreal, where were you when a group of Voyageurs filled an empty Commonwealth with their echoing cheers? This stat frustrates me beyond belief."

I don't think all the tickets sold to Canada are only bought by canadians. I remember Craig Forrest's comments during the WC U20 2007 when canada played his first game against Chile. I remeber Forrest said there were born canadians of chilean origins cheering for Chile that day. I was in Toronto too and I remember seeing adults and children speaking english with Chile's jerseys.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Warning: Reading this may cause excessive rage.

http://canadianstretty.blogspot.com/2009/02/world-cup-2010-countdown-where-were-you.html

yeah I hear you on that one. I suspect that part of the problem with Montreal is that tickets were scalped off to Hondurans because Hondurans placed a greater value to the event because of emotional attachment to the team. So an Honduran from, say, DC or NYC is willling to travel the 5-7 hours for event is probably willing to pay 100-200$ for privildge to be there. Whereas the local fan ( OR ORGANIZATION/ENTITY) who bought tickets for $20-$50 probably doesn't have the same level of emotional attchment to the event and saw more value in selling them for 100-200$. That doesn't necessarily mean that the seller is not interested in seeing and supporting Canada at a WCQ.

The problem is scalpers ( PLUS OTHER ORGANIZATIONS) and the fact that I am sure that there is alot of behind the scenes organization and coordination (that we dont know about)being dont to ensure that our opponent are present and felt. Nobody has a vested interest in getting a pro canada crowd other than the fans here, and to a lesser extent the players and to a slightly lesser extent,the CSA. As long as ticketmaster, scalpers and online resale organization are around, getting a pro canada crowd will be a problem if not impossible in Canada unless the fans, CSA and players have some measure of control over the distribution network.

Worth reminding, the first game of the U20 WC between Canada and Chile was sold out BEFORE the draw for the groups was held. And, a week before the match someone had showed me a website from a respectable and reputable company, where I could by tickets for that game, even at a reasonable price. So, how often does one typical ticket change hands for this kind of event? I beleive that what happened in the game in Montreal mirrors what happens in TO with the Canada / Chile match.

There are a lot of Canadians with South African roots, and the WC just clinched

their vacation plans.

I'm not happy with such fair-day supporters, but more enraging is that our team

did not live up to their potential of making it to the Hex, let alone the WC.

As for supporters, we the Voyageurs have shown up despite whatever adversity was

before us.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I don't see why this is enraging or surprising.

I would me much more disappointed if we were last on the list.

I can see where your coming from, but its really the same thing as those guys who showed up at the Canada - Jamaica game in Montreal a few years ago with an Italian flag. These people do nothing for Canadian football. If you were born abroad sure. If you have roots with a European country by all means support them, but your a Canadian first and should support Canada.

Is it OK if I go Sam?

(fingers crossed)...

Yeah, it sucks. But, it's getting better. Hopefully we can build on the small victories we had in 2008. It won't likely be with the men, but I'd be very surprised if there weren’t two chances to support the women in Southern Ontario prior to Canada Day. It sure would be nice to see a good number of Vs together in the stands providing vocal, ultras-style support, don't you think?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

in terms of rage inducing links, none beats this.

DO NOT CLICK, it's just not worth it.

Wow, from that angle, the goal looks a lot worst then anything else I had seen so far! Although I always knew it was a bad goal, I didn't know it was THAT bad.

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

Wow, from that angle, the goal looks a lot worst then anything else I had seen so far! Although I always knew it was a bad goal, I didn't know it was THAT bad.

I hate to pile on, but seriously, what was he thinking? There were already 2 defenders bracketing Deon Burton and a third defender a few yards away and yet Onstad seemingly plays the man (he moves further away from the goal line until he's beside Burton) and not the ball. [V]

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I hate to pile on, but seriously, what was he thinking? There were already 2 defenders bracketing Deon Burton and a third defender a few yards away and yet Onstad seemingly plays the man (he moves further away from the goal line until he's beside Burton) and not the ball. [V]

It was classic misreading by a keeper. Usually the ball fly over the keeper in those situation but this time the ball was curving into the net....:(

I think we should all remember that soccer is STILL a growing sport in our country. It is obvious that things are looking brighter, but there is still much work to be done.

A few things that could help :

1-LIVE broadcast on main TV channels (not many people watching tv at midnight on weekdays)

2-Better advertising (I went to MTL game and I'm pretty sure most of the city was not even aware of the event). Media have to begin exposing soccer more intensly, not always in the background like a small column on one page in the main newspaper.

3-With the right developpement of present and future players, we get a better national team. A winning team attracts new fans - we have to admit.

Since MLS entry, Toronto has done a big jump foward. Lets hope the same for MTL, VAN, OTT and more.

quote:

"Canadians have the ninth highest number of 216,975 ticket applications. These people are more willing to spend the cash to fly to South Africa, buy a match ticket and a hotel at insanely inflated price than spend $10, $20, $30 on a Canadian World Cup Qualifier. Where were you when the Hondurans embarrassed us in Montreal, where were you when a group of Voyageurs filled an empty Commonwealth with their echoing cheers? This stat frustrates me beyond belief."

^^^

This is kind of a silly argument though. Firstly its not one or the other. Some Montreal-area residents probably attended the Honduras game AND applied for WC tickets in South Africa.

Secondly the # is a bit misleading. 216,000 applications probably "only" represents about 30-50 thousand different people making several applications each, some of whom probably have no intention of going to SA - they'll sell the tickets on e-Bay or wherever.

Finally, most people in Canada would also have to fly and get a hotel room to see a Canada WCQ game. To get on a plane to attend one match takes a lot of dedication. If all Canada WCQ home games had been condensed to a 7-day period and all 3 games played in Montreal, then the format would've been more comparable to what fans experience when they get to South Africa. And I'm sure more fans would've made the trip to Montreal then.

As it is, we're comparing an event to a one-off match. Naturally the event is going to draw higher demand.

Archived