Attention all V's........

Winnipeg Fury

As of March 1 the Winnipeg Free Press will be eliminating original soccer content. My final article in the paper will appear Saturday, February 28. I continue to have a great deal of respect for the staff at the FP, and recognize that their past coverage of soccer put them at the forefront of progressive newspapers in this country. Unfortunately, their decision to cut soccer coverage comes slightly more than a year before the next World Cup, just months before Canada will participate in the Gold Cup and in the midst of Montreal's quarterfinal tie with Santos Laguna in the CONCACAF Champions' League. I am saddened that readers will have to resort to online reports and newswire dispatches of these events rather than enjoying unique, local coverage. Thank you all so much for reading. Soccer is growing so much in this country. Sooner or later, we'll get the respect we deserve.

Jerrad Peters

jerradpeters@gmail.com

I've often felt that if the Free Press would just improve and expand their sports coverage (overall, not just soccer) they'd sink The Sun in no time. Make the sports section a pull out tab format and they'd have a winner.

Anyway, I know things are very tight with all media types right now (is Global going to survive?) but this wouldn't be just a stupid move, but a crazy one as well.

I sent both of them an email pointing out that they are cutting coverage just when soccer is exploding again in north america. I pointed out the huge attendance at the Voyageurs Cup games (60,000+) when the organizers expected half that. Given the limited seating at Swanguard that is quite an accomplishment. I also reminded them about the 45,000+ fans who are going to watch Montreal this week. Hardly a time to cut coverage!

Pretty sad and embarrassing commentary on the paper regardless of the letter campaign, and I feel really sorry for Manitobans who have to endure a newspaper with a sports department out of the 1970's. How these people even exist is almost a medical miracle.

Archived