Future of Canadian USL Content

Tuscan

I wonder how detrimental it will be to the feasibility of new USL-1 franchises in Canada once Vancouver gets in to MLS. While Montreal will probably still be there (assuming all this talk of MLS possibly looking back to Montreal is nada) after 2011, will that be enough for investors in locations like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, or any other centers in Ontario, Quebec, B.C., or the Maritimes, to be swayed into pursuing USL-1 franchises? If Montreal were to join MLS in 2011 along with the Caps, would that be the end of Canadian USL-1 franchising?

The only thing I can see that could harness new USL-1 franchise expansion in Canada would be if multiple groups came forth from major centers like Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc..., perhaps in conjunction with one another, intent on expansion for the same year. I say this as I doubt people in Edmonton would care that much about games vs. the Charleston Battery or the Austin Aztex. If it were a Canadian club (i.e. Winnipeg or Halifax), I think there would at least be a Canadian-based interest generated that would draw fans.

I am curious, though, about how both Vancouver, but especially Montreal, have managed to survive and create interest in a league that only featured themselves for Canadian content. While Vancouver had the Cascadia Cup between them, Portland, and Seattle, what has Montreal had going for it?

Is there hope for USL-1 Canadian expansion?

On another note, it's great that MLS has finally gotten a sense of humour, adding hilarious words like woozlewazzle, kookamanga, and Seattle. [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

What gets me is the question of whether this country really is ready for any more pro soccer than it already has.

That is a valid question. The 3 large metro areas are covered but how can we spread it to the "second tier" areas with less population. Cities like Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton all have over 1 million but so far haven't made a go of it with soccer at the pro level.

Do we try to get them started at the PDL level? USL-1/2?

USL-2 seems to be a dead league, as it is concentrated completely on the US East Coast. I don't really see the importance of USL-2's function, either, as PDL basically bridges the gap between youth and USL-1 (at least in my eyes). I suppose USL-2 could be used as a place for those from PDL who aren't good enough for USL-1 to go, but really, who is going to go watch a match featuring second-tier players from a "second tier" league?

PDL does seem to be a great option, but would it be enough to garner enough recognition in the secondary centers to allow for an eventual expansion into USL-1?

Orletafc

Cfl

I think is very possible in the near future.I am not sure if 2-3 years would be possible.It maybe if they can find a owner and get a stadium built.

Usl

I think a atlantic division in the pdl would be a real good way to start.

Nhl

No i can't see halifax getting a team any time soon.Maybe 10-15 years from now but not 2-3 years from now.

I am curious, though, about how both Vancouver, but especially Montreal, have managed to survive and create interest in a league that only featured themselves for Canadian content. While Vancouver had the Cascadia Cup between them, Portland, and Seattle, what has Montreal had going for it?

The rivalry with Rochester has helped. They've always been a talented, hated, local rival. And, to a lesser degree, so did playing the Toronto Lynx, although they were usually so bad that it wasn't a real rivalry. Being consistently good on the pitch for years really helped, as did the amount of local talent.

Could this be replicated in Quebec City, Hamilton or Halifax? Sure, but you'll need a deep-pocketed ownership, and some patience. Calgary and Edmonton didn't have those two things during their time in the league.

We have been waiting in Winnipeg for years for an owner, but nothing on the horizon.

Thunder Bay is a natural rival for Winnipeg and it is unbelievable that Thunder Bay is having it's 10th year of PDL, while Winnipeg bumbles along with nothing (throw in Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon).

There's really nothing from stopping Canada having 20-25 PDL clubs.

PDL does seem to be a great option, but would it be enough to garner enough recognition in the secondary centers to allow for an eventual expansion into USL-1?

Good question. Victoria Highlanders begin play this summer in the PDL and AFAIK the plans are still in place to move to Div1 within a couple of years (most likely when Vancouver moves to MLS is what I understand.)

I have never heard any suggestion that there would be an intermediate step between PDL and Div1. It makes no sense from a business perspective given the costs involved.

In terms of fan/media recognition there is no difference between PDL and Div 2. Media and casual fans can see MLS as the full-time pro league, Div 1 as a mostly full-time minor league and then they lose interest. Everything below Div 1 might as well be one league as far as the attention span of media and casual fans go.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by ted

Good question. Victoria Highlanders begin play this summer in the PDL and AFAIK the plans are still in place to move to Div1 within a couple of years (most likely when Vancouver moves to MLS is what I understand.)

I have never heard any suggestion that there would be an intermediate step between PDL and Div1. It makes no sense from a business perspective given the costs involved.

In terms of fan/media recognition there is no difference between PDL and Div 2. Media and casual fans can see MLS as the full-time pro league, Div 1 as a mostly full-time minor league and then they lose interest. Everything below Div 1 might as well be one league as far as the attention span of media and casual fans go.

Ted, do the Highlanders feel that the 3500 capacity at Langford will be enough for a Div 1 team, or does that stadium have options for being expanded for more fans should they make the move up?

quote:There's really nothing from stopping Canada having 20-25 PDL clubs.

My thoughts exactly. This goes along with the post I made in the voyageurs section, but people need to step up and work towards making this a reality. Is there any info on the history of the Calgary Storm? Does a website or anything online still exist for the club?

Ottawa is in the running for an MLS team, if they don't get one, it would be nice if someone (maybe Melnyk or the guys that will get the Roughriders/Renegades going) to step up an move up that USL-PDL team to a USL-1 franchise. There is word that if Vancouver gets an MLS team that Victoria would step up with a USL-1 squad. It would be nice to see someone in Edmonton or Calgary or Winnipeg put up some do for at least a PDL squad. I also think it would be nice to have something close to a Jr. Summer League across Canada. Players from 15 to 20 who haven't locked into a PDL team and need a place to play when Highschool or college is off across Canada (June, July and August. You can have one in Halifax, St. Johns, Quebec City, Hamilton, Brandon, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Kelowna, Victoria... etc... the biggest problem, who is going to step up and put their money in. It's a nice idea for 20 - 25 PDL clubs or a Canadian Jr. League, but it's all about money and when the CSA doesn't get a lot of money, it's going to have to come privately and no one seems to want to step up to that.

My thoughts exactly. This goes along with the post I made in the voyageurs section, but people need to step up and work towards making this a reality. Is there any info on the history of the Calgary Storm? Does a website or anything online still exist for the club?

The Calgary Storm played the Vancouver Whitecaps in an official league match in Saskatoon in the summer of 2003.

I was at the match, but can't remember the score ?

A large crowd was present. 6000 rings a bell.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

We have been waiting in Winnipeg for years for an owner, but nothing on the horizon.

Thunder Bay is a natural rival for Winnipeg and it is unbelievable that Thunder Bay is having it's 10th year of PDL, while Winnipeg bumbles along with nothing (throw in Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon).

There's really nothing from stopping Canada having 20-25 PDL clubs.

It's called the USL. Edmonton Green & Gold made an application but were rejected. Same for the proposed Winnipeg Sundogs.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

^Either of those applications have any money? USL tried the "hand to mouth" financing scheme in Edmonton once already and it cost them a fair bit of money and no shortage of embarrassment. Don't think they're up for a punt on those terms.

I'm talking about the PDL, not USL1.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Ted, do the Highlanders feel that the 3500 capacity at Langford will be enough for a Div 1 team, or does that stadium have options for being expanded for more fans should they make the move up?

Not that I can speak for them (I have not even bought my season ticket yet [:I] ) but it is my understanding that they want more seats and the stadium plan will include provision for future expansion.

The Highlanders plans are pretty ambitious. They are offering free scarfs for the first 1000 season ticket holders, so I would assume they are hoping to sell more than that.

While I am a season ticket holder, I'm not happy about the stadium being in Langford. There was a rumor that they were going to be at Royal Athletic Park, but then the mayor instead brought in a baseball team to play their instead. I think the baseball team will be lucky to last the season. Their only sponsor so far is Tourism Victoria, and there is no buzz about them at all. Also the Highlanders season tickets are $99, and the baseball tickets are $540. A hard sell in this economy, especially in Victoria were there is no corporate support for anything. The Salmon Kings (Hockey) have a hard time selling tickets for that much, so I really don't see how baseball will.

If anyone is from victoria and would like to help start the supporters section please join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=67400362944

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

It's called the USL. Edmonton Green & Gold made an application but were rejected. Same for the proposed Winnipeg Sundogs.

I think it's clear I'm discussing PDL.

There was never a formal application from Winnipeg, be it the Sundogs (which was basically Lucania) or anyone else.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

While I am a season ticket holder, I'm not happy about the stadium being in Langford. There was a rumor that they were going to be at Royal Athletic Park, but then the mayor instead brought in a baseball team to play their instead. I think the baseball team will be lucky to last the season. Their only sponsor so far is Tourism Victoria, and there is no buzz about them at all. Also the Highlanders season tickets are $99, and the baseball tickets are $540. A hard sell in this economy, especially in Victoria were there is no corporate support for anything. The Salmon Kings (Hockey) have a hard time selling tickets for that much, so I really don't see how baseball will.

The $540 price for seasons tickets covers 44 home dates, which will certainly be on the weekends. I'm not surprised by the lack of buzz for the Seals given that we've herd little in Edmonton since Darryl Katz bought the Cracker-Cats (although that name is now largely gone). Check how they are doing with the baseball community in Victoria itself.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The $540 price for seasons tickets covers 44 home dates, which will certainly be on the weekends. I'm not surprised by the lack of buzz for the Seals given that we've herd little in Edmonton since Darryl Katz bought the Cracker-Cats (although that name is now largely gone). Check how they are doing with the baseball community in Victoria itself.

$540/44 = $12.25 per game

$99/8 = $12.50 per game

IMO the appropriate price point for Minor league sports like PDL and GBL is whatever a movie costs.

Archived