Canadians abroad: February 20-26, 2009

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 20-26, 2009.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Imhof played 90 (Fernandes too) as Bochum drew away to Arminia Bielefeld 1-1, after leading most of the match.

Big win for Koln in Munich as they win 1-2, McKenna played 90 in the middle of the defense.

Stalteri and Friend played 90, the latter assisting on sub Neuville's winner, as Gladbach got a needed win at home over Hannover. They are still last, Bochum in relegation too, but both within a game's range of those free of it.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

League One

Tranmere 0-0 MKD HT (Gerba on the bench)

Yeovil 2-2 Oldham HT (Wagenaar starts)

League Two

Gillingham 1-0 Macclesfield HT(Jackson on the bench, no Peters)

Luton 2-1 Shrewsbury HT (Dunfield starts)

League One

Tranmere 1-1 MKD FT (Gerba stays on the bench)

Yeovil 2-2 Oldham FT (Wagenaar plays 90 mins)

League Two

Gillingham 3-1 Macclesfield FT(Jackson off the bench on 91 mins, no Peters)

Luton 3-1 Shrewsbury FT (Dunfield plays 90 mins)

vfl borrusia highlights:

http://football-highlight.com/en/germany/bundesliga/2009-02-21-borussia-monchengladbach-hannover-3-2.html

Borussia 3-2 Hannover

Borussia secured a 3-2 win over Hannover 96 on Saturday afternoon thanks to Oliver Neuville's late strike.

Hans Meyer made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Werder Bremen last week. Rob Friend returned from suspension to lead the attack, with Israel striker Roberto Colautti making way. Marko Marin also came in for Tony Jantschke again. Michael Bradley slotted into Jantschke's position in defensive midfield, while Marin looked to attack down the left.

And Bradley and Marin combined to fashion the first chance on 11 minutes in what was a crucial fixture for Borussia. Marin dispatched a ball in from the left flank, but Bradley's header posed few problems for Robert Enke in the Hannover goal. The US international had two more chances soon afterwards, a long-range effort on 16 and another from close range shortly after, though neither found their intended target.

Borussia's attacking threat then subsided a little and the visitors, who had been anonymous in the opening stages, could have taken the lead twice had it not been for some last-ditch interventions. Filip Daems and Logan Bailly teamed up to block a Jiri Stajner shot on 17, and moments later Steve Gohouri put in a last-ditch tackle with Mikael Forssel waiting to pounce. It had been an entertaining Bundesliga encounter until that point, but the proceedings began to lose some of their fluency until Alexander Baumjohann chanced his luck with 35 minutes gone. Receiving a pass from Marin, the 22-year-old didn't hesitate and hammered the ball into the top-left corner from 25 metres out.

The goal handed Borussia the initiative again, and Gohouri headed wide on 40 before Karim Matmour saw his shot blocked two minutes later. And they extended their lead on the stroke of half-time when Marin skipped past three defenders and curled the ball into the far corner to give his side a two-goal cushion.

The second period began, much like the first had ended, with Borussia looking focused and strong in the tackle, and they registered the first chance of the half on 52 with a Marin free-kick that flew just over the top. And so it came as something of a surprise when Pinto pulled one back for the visitors 60 seconds later with a fine left-foot shot from 20 metres. Rocked by the loss of their two-goal lead, Borussia no longer looked quite so assured. They had had the visitors under control until that point, but Hannover now began to sense they had a chance. And chances were what they got. Fahrenhorst headed a free-kick over the bar on 66, and Forssell was unable to bundle the ball over the line from close range seven minutes later. And though Stalteri carved out another opportunity for Neuville Borussia did too little going forward as they looked to protect their narrow advantage.

They were made to pay 15 minutes before the end when Christian Schulz headed the equaliser from a corner. Borussia immediately set about turning the game around again. Stalteri's first-time effort goal flew over the top, as did a shot by Bradley. Neuville made no mistake, however. The 35-year-old took advantage of some great determination by Friend and Bradley to put Borussia back in front 3-2.

It was a game that saw Borussia ride a roller coaster of emotions. They were better in the first half and yet allowed Hannover to get back into it after taking a deserved lead. Neuville's strike, however, means Borussia can celebrate after picking up three very important points.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

Last tuesday Jackson was on the bench too. Is there some injury or something else maybe?

I am not aware of any injury being mentioned on the BBC or Gillingham FC sites but I might be wrong.

quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

looks like jamie peters is back at ipswich town...

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Gills-extend-Steer-stay-but-Peters-leaves-newsinkent21323.aspx?news=sport

Looks more like Peters in on the ropes in term of his hopes of being a top-level professional. IMO he is looking more and more like a good MLS "project" every day.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Looks more like Peters in on the ropes in term of his hopes of being a top-level professional. IMO he is looking more and more like a good MLS "project" every day.

I don't share your optimism Nolando, I would say USL project [:P]

^It would be good marketing though and a task that isn't especially labour heavy. By marketing I mainly mean Canadian soccer. Canadians being seen playing professionally is good for the CSA.

It would also provide fresh web-site content on a regular basis. They know who's playing where, the teams concerned all have fixed schedules and it's not like the broadcasters try to keep their listings secret. Not a task requiring a lot of resources on the CSA's part.

Hell, I think the broadcasters (and clubs) would love to get a mention on the CSA website on a regular basis. You never know where these sorts of initiatives can lead. Don't think the CSA website is at all interested in private advertising, quite rightly I think, but there should be no reason to exclude any revenue opportunity that happens to present itself and can operate within the website or CSA mandate.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

^It would be good marketing though and a task that isn't especially labour heavy. By marketing I mainly mean Canadian soccer. Canadians being seen playing professionally is good for the CSA.

It would also provide fresh web-site content on a regular basis. They know who's playing where, the teams concerned all have fixed schedules and it's not like the broadcasters try to keep their listings secret. Not a task requiring a lot of resources on the CSA's part.

Hell, I think the broadcasters (and clubs) would love to get a mention on the CSA website on a regular basis. You never know where these sorts of initiatives can lead. Don't think the CSA website is at all interested in private advertising, quite rightly I think, but there should be no reason to exclude any revenue opportunity that happens to present itself and can operate within the website or CSA mandate.

The CSA website use to have a weekly report on our MNT players club performances. I don't know why but it stopped around 2004. Here's an example with Onstad earning POTW honor in the MLS in 2004:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1700

It something they should bring back.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I didn't see Edgar's name anywhere on the team sheet as the Geordies play Everton today.

yeah, edgar was not on the bench today for NUFC....i guess with their january aquisitions and a few of their injured players returning he has been relegated once again to reserve team player...

their back four are still brutal...

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman plays 90, a terrible back pass was picked up by Villa, who scored the first, the rest of Julian's game was fine as Depor dominated and finally tied it 1-1 at Riazor. They are still in the fight for a UEFA spot.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

De Guzman plays 90, a terrible back pass was picked up by Villa, who scored the first, the rest of Julian's game was fine as Depor dominated and finally tied it 1-1 at Riazor. They are still in the fight for a UEFA spot.

Was it Brazil-esque?

Archived